PDA

View Full Version : E28 and E34 lock question

ArtemLepilov
10-18-2005, 10:29 AM
Does an E28 and an early (1991) E34 have the same locking mechanism, i am not talking about the lock cylinders... i mean the locks that are in the doors themselves. I am about to head over to a junkyard and there are a lot of E28s there...

Please let me know

Rigmaster
10-18-2005, 10:47 AM
need to clarify what you're talking about.

Basically for the door lock, you've got the door handle- which you lift up on to open the door, you've got the lock cylinder in the door handle- where you put the key to unlock the doors, you've got the lock actuators- which are the electric solenoids that are used by the central locking to lock + unlock the doors, trunk and fuel filler door.

The E34 used 2 different types of lock actuators- early + late, they are not compatible- the plugs are different.

AFAIK, none of the E28 parts are compatible with E34 parts- except maybe the lock cylinder.........

Bret

ArtemLepilov
10-18-2005, 10:49 AM
need to clarify what you're talking about.

Basically for the door lock, you've got the door handle- which you lift up on to open the door, you've got the lock cylinder in the door handle- where you put the key to unlock the doors, you've got the lock actuators- which are the electric solenoids that are used by the central locking to lock + unlock the doors, trunk and fuel filler door.

The E34 used 2 different types of lock actuators- early + late, they are not compatible- the plugs are different.

AFAIK, none of the E28 parts are compatible with E34 parts- except maybe the lock cylinder.........

Bret

Umm I actually dont mean any of those parts - i mean the actual mechanism that locks around the part on the frame when you shut the door. The part that you do not have any contact with personally when you lock/pull on the handle or anything like that.

Hope that clarified it a bit...

-Artem

Rigmaster
10-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Umm I actually dont mean any of those parts - i mean the actual mechanism that locks around the part on the frame when you shut the door. The part that you do not have any contact with personally when you lock/pull on the handle or anything like that.

Hope that clarified it a bit...

-Artem

AHAH!! Now we're getting somewhere...

not sure of the official name, but I would call that the door latch.

Again, without checking, I would have to say that it's E34 specific- maybe E32's too........

Bret.

ArtemLepilov
10-18-2005, 10:55 AM
oh alright... well i mean the latch is broken - it screws up everything in my locking system... Right now my door is like naked inside... so ireally need that part asap. And i had a feeling it might not work from an E28 but at least i know what it looks like and its my friend driving... sooo i dont really care about gas and it might be worth a look anyway just to make sure. I mena ther are quite a few parts that made it in the early E34 from an E28... so (im hoping) maybe a door latch would do it too... I mean if they have very similar front suspension setups.. why have different lock mechanisms :p haha

-Artem