PDA

View Full Version : Strut Choice

saj3n
10-18-2005, 08:51 AM
I have a leaking front right strut. I am looking to replace both the front left and right struts. Also looking to put Vogtland lowering springs on. Any prices, locations, suggestions for the struts?

ArtemLepilov
10-18-2005, 09:02 AM
I have a leaking front right strut. I am looking to replace both the front left and right struts. Also looking to put Vogtland lowering springs on. Any prices, locations, suggestions for the struts?

You probably mean the shocks --> I can suggest getting a pair of Bilstein HDs or Bilstein Sports... Those are always the shocks of choice in any BMW. I personally went with the cheaper KYBs... Those are acutally pretty damn good I got the GR-2/s and they are very nice in my car. Cost me $160 for the pair at Foreign Auto Part. While bilstein HDs/Sports would go for at least $120 each. KYB also carries a lifetime warranty on all of their shocks, as does Bilstein so that is a very nice option to have. (Im not sure if there are other manufacturers who give that kind of a warranty out on their products.)

Let us all know how it goes :-)

-Artem

saj3n
10-18-2005, 09:28 AM
is this what i am looking for?

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?autoMake=BMW&autoModel=530i&autoYear=1995&autoModClar=&make=KYB&model=GR-2+Cartridge&group=GR-2&partNum=366005&perfCode=P

liquidtiger720
10-18-2005, 09:30 AM
How about Boge Turbo gas shocks/struts?

saj3n
10-18-2005, 09:36 AM
How about Boge Turbo gas shocks/struts?

How are their performance? I want a comfortable yet semi-stiff ride. What is the price range for the Boge's?

liquidtiger720
10-18-2005, 09:50 AM
Not sure on the price....i got the Sachs performance kit which includes the boge turbo shocks/struts and eibach lowering springs and some other small replacement parts. the whole kit was $690 shipped....

With the kit, my ride is not too shabby. Yes...its a little more rough than before, but you wont be seeing your dentist any sooner. The performance is outstanding...100X better than stock. Whit (lowell) has a write up of his install on www.bmw4life.com

ArtemLepilov
10-18-2005, 10:35 AM
How are their performance? I want a comfortable yet semi-stiff ride. What is the price range for the Boge's?

Yea, that link in tirerack was what you were looking for. The price with shipping will come out about the same as mine... $160 Those shocks will do the trick I believe. (See if they can be used wtih sports springs...) - if they are u are all set to go, just pop em right in, they come with everything you need in a box.

PS - Boge's dont come with lifetime warranty :-P and those were in my car to start with leaked like crazy,

-Artem

liquidtiger720
10-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Note : Boge is the OEM supplier for bmw.

ArtemLepilov
10-18-2005, 02:46 PM
Note : Boge is the OEM supplier for bmw.

I agree.. but I still like the lifetime warranty of Bilsteins or KYBs... :D

Lennyz525i
10-18-2005, 03:15 PM
I'd like to hear some more feedback on people that have used those KYBs on their E34.

Kalevera
10-18-2005, 03:18 PM
Lenny -- you've got my impressions of them on your web site ;) I think they give a rough ride. The boge turbo gas or koni are much better choices for any application.

best, whit

ArtemLepilov
10-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Lenny -- you've got my impressions of them on your web site ;) I think they give a rough ride. The boge turbo gas or koni are much better choices for any application.

best, whit

So do you mean the ride is too stiff with the KYBs? They seem to be doing a pretty good job for me. I believe they are about as stiff as bilsteins would be. One of my friends has got Bilstein HDs on his volvo and they are pretty damn stiff... Comparatively I believe they are similar.

Gayle
10-18-2005, 03:23 PM
You probably mean the shocks --> I can suggest getting a pair of Bilstein HDs or Bilstein Sports... KYB also carries a lifetime warranty on all of their shocks, as does Bilstein so that is a very nice option to have. -Artem

There are some differing opinions on the Bilsteins. I have them. Prior owner picked them. Every day I thank God that the roads in San Diego are like glass or they would be unbearable.

Bilsteins are tough on the standard of proof they require with the warranty. See Jeff's experience.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12167&highlight=bilsteins

Lennyz525i
10-18-2005, 03:24 PM
Yeah I know. Still, the few reviews that I've read seem to be mixed though. I wonder if they last well. I'm at 171K miles and my car floats too much, I'd like it a little stiffer. Problem is though that an old M20 525i is not really the car to be sinking too much money in for mods.

Kalevera
10-18-2005, 03:33 PM
I mean....they're good for what they are. I had the opportunity to drive the KYB and the Turbo Gas at the same time and liked the TG better. The bumps are a lot more controlled and the suspension didn't bounce around as much (and these were newer KYBs, so...). Is it worth the $640 I paid for the sachs kit versus $350 for the KYB inserts? I don't know. For me, it was. The car handles very nicely for what it is and people who've driven or ridden in the car have always talked about how well it rides.

I've driven most of the options, in various conditions, and I think if you want a slightly firmer ride, might as well just get a bigger wheel (17s) on the stock suspension.

best, whit

ArtemLepilov
10-18-2005, 03:39 PM
I mean....they're good for what they are. I had the opportunity to drive the KYB and the Turbo Gas at the same time and liked the TG better. The bumps are a lot more controlled and the suspension didn't bounce around as much (and these were newer KYBs, so...). Is it worth the $640 I paid for the sachs kit versus $350 for the KYB inserts? I don't know. For me, it was. The car handles very nicely for what it is and people who've driven or ridden in the car have always talked about how well it rides.

I've driven most of the options, in various conditions, and I think if you want a slightly firmer ride, might as well just get a bigger wheel (17s) on the stock suspension.

best, whit

Sounds fair... Well he was asking for the shock options and here we have:

Boge Turbo Gas
KYB GR-2's
Bilstein HD's/Sports
Koni

Anything else? I believe the forementioned are the really high end shocks that are in over 80% of the E34s that are being/have been upgraded.

Guapo
10-18-2005, 07:03 PM
Anyone have an opinion on the Bilstein Touring?

saj3n
10-19-2005, 09:17 AM
Sounds fair... Well he was asking for the shock options and here we have:

Boge Turbo Gas
KYB GR-2's
Bilstein HD's/Sports
Koni

Anything else? I believe the forementioned are the really high end shocks that are in over 80% of the E34s that are being/have been upgraded.

Ok, so those are my choices. My ride floats quite a bit when going over little hills, yet seems to bang really harshly when hitting pot holes and such. Philadelphia is the worst city to drive in! I do have 17x8" Style 5's, which should stiffen the ride out a bit, but I also want to be a bit comfortable.

632 Regal
10-19-2005, 09:40 AM
here you go, less than a year old ...

http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/Bumpstops.htm

ArtemLepilov
10-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Ok, so those are my choices. My ride floats quite a bit when going over little hills, yet seems to bang really harshly when hitting pot holes and such. Philadelphia is the worst city to drive in! I do have 17x8" Style 5's, which should stiffen the ride out a bit, but I also want to be a bit comfortable.

Well, I guess you should probably ask a friend whos got upgraded shocks to ride in his/her car... Othervise if u are going for valuve u can get the KYBs and from what it seems like if u want a really perfect ride get the more expensive Bode Turbo Gas shocks...

-Artem

PS - for a pair it would be about $160 for the KYBs and $~300 for the Boges...

Kalevera
10-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Sajen, it sounds like the shocks are just dead. So, make the decision based on what you want, given the situation. A set of boge automatics will make things a bit smoother and remove the imprecision. You could also try the bilstein tourings. I'd get the boge automatics and be done with it. Just be sure to replace the ones that need replacing -- check to see if any are leaking (my guess is that at least one is) and I'd replace all four if it's been ~ 70 to 100k since they've been done.

best, whit