PDA

View Full Version : Can you read check engine codes through OBC?

Strap
10-18-2005, 06:20 AM
Hey all,
For some reason i cant read fault codes through the check bulb ( 5 in 5 seconds stomp test ) either no power to it at all or bad bulb but i did switch it with a nother and still dead. So was wondering anyone no how to pull up the codes through the obc? can it display fault codes? im searching but to no sucsess yet. any info would be great.
Thanks Strap

PS: i think it should have some codes stored since it is running so rich it burns your eyes if you stand behind the car for more than 20 seconds...

shogun
10-18-2005, 06:33 AM
No, cannot.
But where do you live respect. what specification is your car?
Only US specifaction cars are quipped to do the stomp test. Not EU cars or others.

Buy a PEAKE tool for 150 $ and that is a nice investment. I always have it in my glovebox compartment.
www.peakeresearch.com

Strap
10-18-2005, 06:59 AM
No, cannot.
But where do you live respect. what specification is your car?
Only US specifaction cars are quipped to do the stomp test. Not EU cars or others.

Buy a PEAKE tool for 150 $ and that is a nice investment. I always have it in my glovebox compartment.
www.peakeresearch.com

Thanks Shogun ,
Problem is im in asia , dont no if i can find it here or not, car is EU/THA version e34 m50TU (vanos) if i can get someone to send me one here i will by it.

Ps; i was just on your site checking your rim sizes on your e34 , your rime sit real nice and im trying to get the offset right so i can order rime this week but i have to give exact spects...They are clueless at the tire shops here...
Thanks again Strap

shogun
10-18-2005, 07:15 AM
I am also in Asia, in Japan.
You can order the PEAKE from USA directly. They send it to you. I also bought it from PEAKE research directly.

Where do you live, which country?
I have some nice sets E39 paralell Type 82 wheels, ET 20, with tires in one of my parts cars, it is an E32 750iL.
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/take/CIMG4143.jpg
And another set on this car
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/take/original/CIMG3467.jpg

But it is only realizable when you live in Japan, otherwise shipping cost is too high.

Strap
10-18-2005, 07:27 AM
Thanks for that but im in Thailand, at least for the next few years...
im trying to get a set of hamman hm2 ( i think ) 18x8 front and 18x9.5 or 10 rear if they will fit and sit right. fenders on the car are already rolled inside.
Thanks Strap

High Compression II
10-18-2005, 07:34 AM
Stomp 5 in 5 works on my E.U. 525TDs diesel..........Should work on others too.........

Got fault code 19.

shogun
10-18-2005, 08:40 AM
Forget it, EU cars do not have that, and 19 is no code. You must have a least 4 digits.
We have discussed that over and over again.
Here is how it goes and where you can read the codes
http://www.europeantransmissions.com/Bulletin/DTC.BMW/bmwcod.pdf

http://www.epa.gov/obd/basic.htm

HDhandyman
10-18-2005, 11:14 AM
it seems like a really violent thing to do to the engine--run at such high rpms.

I had no sucess with check light either with american car--bit nervous about the stomp thing, is it really okay?---should I try again?--I know thatthe light is working--maybe I just didn't stomp hard enough.

High Compression II
10-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Dont know about the petrol cars, but this is Definately a fault code for the DDE system They are 1 or 2 digits.

The code is accessed in the usual 5 stomp way, and will repeat if you stomp again after its finished, One long flash, then 19 short blinks.

tnt525i
10-18-2005, 04:41 PM
it seems like a really violent thing to do to the engine--run at such high rpms.

I had no sucess with check light either with american car--bit nervous about the stomp thing, is it really okay?---should I try again?--I know thatthe light is working--maybe I just didn't stomp hard enough.
er,,,, the stomp test is done when the key is in position 2 NOT when the engine is running , position 2 is when the key is in the position where all the check lights in the cluster is on just before you start

632 Regal
10-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Egads!

HDhandyman
10-18-2005, 06:26 PM
Egads!

Is that a response of sarcasm meant to circumvent others from answering my question? Does every "real" question from someone with little experience need to be prefaced by the word "nube" before the all mighty will subject themselves to delighting the un-enlightened with a response?

I mean, I'm still a ****ing idiot for asking the question, but...well....forget it.

kidding.

Kalevera
10-18-2005, 06:50 PM
Hehehe...HD, I don't care what everyone else says about you -- you're A-OK in my book.

Now what was the question again? :D

best, whit

Chris'91'525i
10-18-2005, 06:58 PM
Is that a response of sarcasm meant to circumvent others from answering my question? Does every "real" question from someone with little experience need to be prefaced by the word "nube" before the all mighty will subject themselves to delighting the un-enlightened with a response?

I mean, I'm still a ****ing idiot for asking the question, but...well....forget it.

kidding.

Jeffs just trying to raise his daily post average from 9 to 10 posts a day :D