PDA

View Full Version : Getrag 280/260

ArtemLepilov
10-17-2005, 11:45 PM
Do these transmission have the same bolt pattern?

I really need to know because im still hoping to replace my auto tranny with a 5-spd Getrag 280. And I know that a 260 is a direct bolt on for an M50 engine..

e34it
10-18-2005, 12:14 AM
Yes i think so, you should not have to change anything, but i could be wrong, just the gear ratios are different i believe

ArtemLepilov
10-18-2005, 12:46 AM
Yes i think so, you should not have to change anything, but i could be wrong, just the gear ratios are different i believe

Alright, I will hopefully be getting the tranny sometime friday.

If anyone has a suggestion for transporting a car from PA to MA, please let me know. Other than that I would like to know if a complete drivetrain and some interior pieces and all doors would fit in a van that has 127cu. inches of cargo space. And a ~1600 lb maximum weight capacity...

-Artem

Kalevera
10-18-2005, 03:49 PM
If the price is right and the parts are actually good, you should buy it, regardless (because you can turn around and sell it, maybe even to some of the nutcases on this board ;) ). But the 280 for an M5 won't fit an M50 or an M20 -- the M20/M50 bellhousing is different and the engine physically sits about 10 degrees off of where the M30/S38 sit. The manual trans for your car is the Getrag 250, which can readily be found for little money.

Good luck!

best, whit

ArtemLepilov
10-18-2005, 03:55 PM
If the price is right and the parts are actually good, you should buy it, regardless (because you can turn around and sell it, maybe even to some of the nutcases on this board ;) ). But the 280 for an M5 won't fit an M50 or an M20 -- the M20/M50 bellhousing is different and the engine physically sits about 10 degrees off of where the M30/S38 sit. The manual trans for your car is the Getrag 250, which can readily be found for little money.

Good luck!

best, whit

Great, Thanks a lot! :-)

Its still quite a drag for me to get out there... So im still considering... Price is really low --> but its basically a Transmission, Driveshaft, LSD, subframe and a real self leveling suspension (which people would easily let go for a set of regular shocks), plus a set of Throwing stars. And an engine block that is really an M30 that has been bored out to a 3.6 liter displacement in a nutshell...

PS --> There are a LOT of 80s 325E/i's on the junkyards that are nearby here, in Mass. I was thinking about doing a transplant of one of thosein my car. Would that work? And also would it be a good step to do something like that? (I dont really know what kind of a manual transmission is in the 80's 325E's or I's

Kalevera
10-18-2005, 05:32 PM
Yes, a 260 from an E30 325i should work at the engine side of it, but I don't know about the output flange.

The M50 manual tranny is the S5D 250G (EDIT: or the S5D-310Z found with the earlier non TU engines), Getrag calls it a 220/5. They're readily available on eBay and other places....I'm sure you'll have no problem finding one. Using that trans will save you a lot of hassle in finding a driveshaft that will work.

Best, whit

ArtemLepilov
10-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Thanks. I will make sure to remember the 220/5. Might do a swap sometime next summer as I might have better funding then.

-Artem