PDA

View Full Version : Potential Problems Ahead??

jobhun
10-17-2005, 02:59 PM
Hi Folks,
I am the proud 1 year owner of a 1995 525 iT with 105k. in the east bay area So far so good, but not sure about the future. I'll try to keep this short.

I had an oil service in November 2004 (98k) by an independent I met through Craigs List. I had it checked out in December 2004 and realized a leak in the Vanos Supply oil line, which I said I would change at the next oil service. In August/September 2005 (104k), I was wandering why I still had three service lights on. I checked the oil level one morning to find the level way above the high mark indicating that the guy had put in too much oil.

So I arranged for an oil service and a change of the oil pipe. I had to wander around for a couple of hours whilst the service was being done. I returned to pick the car up and was told a lot of horror stories about oil spills everywhere under the hood, in the air filter, and possibly in the intake (manifold I guess), and other places he would not mention, and that the car was running horribly, and it needs a tune-up. He recommended an immediate full service to change all the fluids for $1,000, and possible more repairs depending on what he finds. This got me really scared on the way home.

I decided to be cool and gentle about it. I did an engine code check the following day which came out clean. I checked the coolant and engine oil for evidence of leaks or contamination and found nothing. I replaced the air filter. I just travelled nearly 1,000 k; the engine run so smoothly. There has been no change in performance since I purchased it; there have been no more oil spills, the gas mileage is perfect. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is my approach, but with some caution. The only thing I have noticed is an occasional slight irritating "whine" from what I believe is the fuel pump (I replaced the fuel filter last year). There has been no change in the idle speed or erratic behaviour in the rev counter.

I plan to have it checked out again at the next oil service, which I plan to replace the coolant and radiator hoses as well.
Its kinda difficult to find a mechanic or shop you can trust around here, so you can be there to see things for yourself rather than they calling you with all sorts of bad news for financial gains.

Should I still play it cool, or should I brace myself for the worst to come?
I know the manual says that adding to much engine oil does not adversly affect things. The manual does not mention anything about tune-ups, so I am wondering if the M50 engines with Vanos do require tune-up at all?

Sorry for the long post fellas.
Peace to all.

uscharalph
10-17-2005, 03:12 PM
"I had an oil service in November 2004 (98k) by an independent I met through Craigs List. I had it checked out in December 2004 and realized a leak in the Vanos Supply oil line, which I said I would change at the next oil service. In August/September 2005 (104k), I was wandering why I still had three service lights on. I checked the oil level one morning to find the level way above the high mark indicating that the guy had put in too much oil."

When the service lights are all out is when the oil is ready to be changed. When the reset is done all the lights go back on. Do you have an owner's manual?

jobhun
10-17-2005, 03:34 PM
"I had an oil service in November 2004 (98k) by an independent I met through Craigs List. I had it checked out in December 2004 and realized a leak in the Vanos Supply oil line, which I said I would change at the next oil service. In August/September 2005 (104k), I was wandering why I still had three service lights on. I checked the oil level one morning to find the level way above the high mark indicating that the guy had put in too much oil."

When the service lights are all out is when the oil is ready to be changed. When the reset is done all the lights go back on. Do you have an owner's manual?

Yes I do have a manual

radarjeremy
10-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Sounds to me like the guy wants to make some dough... If everything runs fine it should be fine.

jjw
10-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Are you going back to the shop over fill your oil the first time? What does he mean by tune-up? Is there blue smoke coming out of the exhaust? Oil leaking into the intake? It sounds like bs to me. Just beacuse we drive BMWs, doesn't mean we are to be taken advantage of. Anyway, maybe best action is to find another shop.

jobhun
10-17-2005, 04:03 PM
Are you going back to the shop over fill your oil the first time? What does he mean by tune-up? Is there blue smoke coming out of the exhaust? Oil leaking into the intake? It sounds like bs to me. Just beacuse we drive BMWs, doesn't mean we are to be taken advantage of. Anyway, maybe best action is to find another shop.

There is no blue smoke from the exhaust. I may be naive, but how does oil get into the air filter from what the mechanic told. Can anyone recommend a trustworthy BMW shop/mechanic apart from the dealerships and Berkeley Motor Works (close to dealership prices)?

uscharalph
10-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Yes I do have a manual
The owner's manual discusses the service lights.