PDA

View Full Version : Best Manual Trans Fluid?

freeparking
10-17-2005, 07:32 AM
What is the best Manual Transmission fluid to use in a BMW? I have a little slippage sometimes in first,(not that this will fix it) but would like an opinion. Also, the Power Steering pump uses ATF fluid so can I use the same for that also? Thanks

angrypancake
10-17-2005, 09:05 AM
A lot of people swear by Redline. I just keep trying to figure out when I can make my car a manual.

onewhippedpuppy
10-17-2005, 09:08 AM
Not to hijack, but on my 6 speed it says ATF only, if I go Redline should I still get ATF, or go with the MTL?

Derek A.
10-17-2005, 09:24 AM
I have yet to see a problem using redline. A lot of the reasoning for ATF specification is smooth shifting when cold. I perfer to have a little heavier oil in the trans and be mellow on it until it warms up. My trans was redone by Jim Blanton with brass synchros and he specifies Redline MTL.

SRR2
10-17-2005, 09:54 AM
Check with the Redline web site. They recommend MTL for trans up to m/y (this is the part I'm not sure about) 1995. After that, they have a synthetic ATF that they recommend.

I've used Redline trans and diff products in all my cars for years, with excellent results, especially the transmissions. They've done wonders with synchronizers in all weather, but particularly in winter. The iX was pretty balky when cold, but the MTL fixed it right up. Even with 157K on the clock, the trans shifts like new.

motuman
10-17-2005, 10:40 AM
Not to hijack, but on my 6 speed it says ATF only, if I go Redline should I still get ATF, or go with the MTL?

I'm no expert, but I did a little research on this subject.

Thicker Oil (MTL or similiar) = quieter tranny

ATF = easier shifting

As many of you know, there are several BMW service bulletins that specify switching to ATF for "hard to shift" transmissions. The bulletin for my 95 540/6 calls for Dexron II. I called Redline to ask if I should use Dexron II, Dexron III or MTL? The Redline tech rep told me I should use the Dex III, which is an updated/improved version of Dex II. They recommend using synthetic ATF (Dex III) in any transmision for which ATF is originally specified, and MTL in any other transmission.

My BMW buddies here in SoCal use Redline MTL. Sometimes they mix in a little Redline Gear Oil to quiet noisy transmissions. They are happy with this mix, but can get away with it in the warm weather climate. I suspect the thinner ATF would give you better shifting in cold climates, especially at start up.

YMMV.

Kalevera
10-17-2005, 04:46 PM
I have yet to see a problem using redline. A lot of the reasoning for ATF specification is smooth shifting when cold. I perfer to have a little heavier oil in the trans and be mellow on it until it warms up. My trans was redone by Jim Blanton with brass synchros and he specifies Redline MTL.
;) Ask him what he uses now -- we've switched to Royal Purple and I bet he has, too.

I generally think that Red Line/Royal Purple/Amsoil are all on par, just with a large price differential.

best, whit

uscharalph
10-17-2005, 04:48 PM
;) Ask him what he uses now -- we've switched to Royal Purple and I bet he has, too.

I generally think that Red Line/Royal Purple/Amsoil are all on par, just with a large price differential.

best, whit
Royal Purple just sounds cooler! LOL!!