PDA

View Full Version : 735 Seat

begeta50
10-16-2005, 05:36 PM
I jot a 735 seat at a junk jard, but I have a 525i. The seat fits perfect, but the electric plugs are different. If anyone knows how to adapted the plugs, please let me know?

infinity5
10-16-2005, 06:09 PM
are they memory seats? if not you could probably just grab a light blulb or voltmeter and figure out what is what by trial and error

Kalevera
10-16-2005, 06:51 PM
You need the harness from the 735 to make it work.

My writeup on installing the memory seats and other garbage from a '94 740il still isn't done, but it will detail how to execute the install. It's quite simple, really.

best, whit

begeta50
10-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Yes it is a memory seat.
Can you tell me what a harness is?
because I have all the plugs from the original car.

shogun
10-16-2005, 08:51 PM
It has more pins. To make it fully operatable you need the memory module under the driver seat, the wiring harness, new memory rear view mirrors and new cable loom for this (more cables, more pins, as it has also the dip down function on the pass rear view mirror.
Details on memory seats and mirrors on my website on the link to Techboy. It is training material for service eng's.

Kalevera
10-16-2005, 08:53 PM
The harness is the loom of wire that runs between the various components, in this case -- of the memory setup. There are multiple harnesses (harnii?) in a modern car -- engine, body, engine bay, trunk. Most are modular and interface at one or more of the electrical centers (front hood eBox or under the rear seat). Depending on the year, the donor could've had memory seats, mirrors, and potentially telescoping steering column. The memory harness has to be added to your car; I don't know the specifics on the earlier system, but on the later system (what my car now uses), the harness interfaces with the standard seat 12 pin plug and then has connectors for the memory control module/lumbar/everything else. If it's the early system, the wiring may be integrated into the body harness and you may have to start splicing wires (I don't know). Again, not that difficult if you know what to do -- mark connections and make them.

Also, depending on the year of your car and that of the donor, you may run into airbag problems.

Best, whit

Kalevera
10-16-2005, 09:01 PM
It has more pins. To make it fully operatable you need the memory module under the driver seat, the wiring harness, new memory rear view mirrors and new cable loom for this (more cables, more pins, as it has also the dip down function on the pass rear view mirror.
Details on memory seats and mirrors on my website on the link to Techboy. It is training material for service eng's.

Erich, a fully functional memory retrofit requires that the door harnesses be swapped, as well: the stock non memory mirrors utilize four out of the potential 8 (10? 12? I forget the exact number) pin spots in the door harness mirror connector; the adjustment switch in the driver's door is also different and requires an extra wire. Then there's the whole lock actuator issue. Changing the door harnesses is a bitch -- ask me how I know ;)

best, whit

uscharalph
10-17-2005, 01:30 AM
Erich, a fully functional memory retrofit requires that the door harnesses be swapped, as well: the stock non memory mirrors utilize four out of the potential 8 (10? 12? I forget the exact number) pin spots in the door harness mirror connector; the adjustment switch in the driver's door is also different and requires an extra wire. Then there's the whole lock actuator issue. Changing the door harnesses is a bitch -- ask me how I know ;)

best, whit
Sounds like a lot of work.

begeta50
10-17-2005, 06:34 AM
I have the black box under neat the seat. But the wires from the 525i are only 7 wires that comes out. This new seat has four diferent plugs and many wires. I just need to make it work with the basics only. I don't need the memory all of that basic movements thats all I need.
If someone can tell me how to conect the seven wires that comes out of the 525i to make it work.

shogun
10-17-2005, 06:42 AM
Go to my website and look for the online wiring diagrams for your model and year. Maybe you can find them there.

Or this here from my website
http://www.hyrumswebsite.com/BMW_pdfs/smm.pdf

begeta50
10-18-2005, 05:05 AM
Go to my website and look for the online wiring diagrams for your model and year. Maybe you can find them there.

Or this here from my website
http://www.hyrumswebsite.com/BMW_pdfs/smm.pdf

Thank you Shogun. The pdf file in your website is quite good, but the problem is that it is not so clear. I was wondering if by any chance that you may have a better copy? I want to try. I may get lucky and I make this seat work.
Thank you in advance for your help.

begeta50
10-22-2005, 08:58 AM
I was wondering if any one may have a quick solution for this seat problem?
thanks for your help in advance.

Interceptor
10-22-2005, 01:23 PM
Erich, a fully functional memory retrofit requires that the door harnesses be swapped, as well: the stock non memory mirrors utilize four out of the potential 8 (10? 12? I forget the exact number) pin spots in the door harness mirror connector; the adjustment switch in the driver's door is also different and requires an extra wire. Then there's the whole lock actuator issue. Changing the door harnesses is a bitch -- ask me how I know :)
The old harness has the metal clip on the door actuator connector, and the new one has a completely plastic clip, right? My car is 10/91 and it has plastic connectors - is this the new type harness?

Kalevera
10-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Yes, and the more pertinent question (that I haven't investigated -- I guess you have?) is whether the new actuator will retrofit into the old door. My parts came from a late '93 E32 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-740iL-E32-Chassis-Parts-Car-740i-740-750iL-750_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6783QQitemZ80079613 20QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW_), when they were still using the old style "submarine" actuator.

best, whit

Kalevera
10-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Dude, I told you what has to be done to make it work...there's no "quick 'n dirty" way to do it. Re-read the previous posts, do a little work on it and enjoy the seat.

best, whit

Interceptor
10-22-2005, 05:29 PM
Yes, and the more pertinent question (that I haven't investigated -- I guess you have?) is whether the new actuator will retrofit into the old door. My parts came from a late '93 E32 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-740iL-E32-Chassis-Parts-Car-740i-740-750iL-750_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6783QQitemZ80079613 20QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW_), when they were still using the old style "submarine" actuator.
I have no idea about the actuators, but there is a possibility the mounting points are not the same, since doors made after 9/91 have a different part number. The reason I tampered with the doors (rear ones, in this case) was because I bought rear electric window lifters off of ebay and they came with the old type harness and my car had the new type. I see no reason why the new harness wouldn't be compatible with the old type actuator, since the old harness works completely (central locking, window switches...) in my car - I just spliced the wires and put my new type connector on it instead of the old type it came with originally.