PDA

View Full Version : creaking door seals

Russell
10-16-2005, 03:07 PM
As you know our e-34 cars have a soft rubber gasket trimmed with the interior color and materials on each door. The gasket is one piece and press fits around the inner doorframe.

I found today that when you press on the gasket it slightly moves and squeaks/creaks in some places. I sprayed a synthetic lubricant (I used Super Lube), on the doorframe area under the gasket and pressed the gasket back in place. Afterwards it did not squeak when I pressed on it.

Not sure if this is any help. However, it seemed to help my car with noisy door seals.

Good luck.

Kalevera
10-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Russell, the seals shrink over time. Points to note are at the rear door "vees", by the top of the seatback cushion (the seal will usually shrink away from the soft curve there), and the front doors on the leading edge closest to the door opening point.

Mine were done when I bought the car -- the rubber had broken and someone had apparently superglued it back together. It was a mess. Bret Luter sold me the set from his '95 oxgreen 525 parts car for a reasonable price and the car's much quieter.

Be sure to treat with gummi pflege or other rubber protectant.

best, whit

Russell
10-16-2005, 04:10 PM
The cut/insert technique helped I think. At least they look better and do not pull away from the door. Believe the technique is in the archives.

Gummi phlege is my friend, also Eniseht (sp?) 1Z rubber protectant. As you cannot get Gummi pflege from BMW, Last week, I special ordered two tubes from Maximmilian imports (Max or Jim) at $15 each plus shipping. Should be in the next container form Germany in about 30 days

Kalevera
10-16-2005, 05:22 PM
The cut/insert technique helped I think. At least they look better and do not pull away from the door. Believe the technique is in the archives.

Gummi phlege is my friend, also Eniseht (sp?) 1Z rubber protectant. As you cannot get Gummi pfhelge from BMW, Last week, I special ordered two tubes from Maximmian imports (Max or Jim) at $15 each plus shipping. Should be in the next container form Germany in about 30 days

According to Erich (shogun), gummi pflege is still sold by the dealer in pump spray form (not the classic tube with applicator sponge); I haven't confirmed.

Pelican Parts also sells it. That place (maximilians or whatever) is freakin' expensive -- Pelican sells it for $7.10 plus shipping...please tell me you don't buy parts from Bavarian Autosport....

best, whit

Russell
10-16-2005, 06:07 PM
However, I have bought from Bravian AutoSport if they had something interesting and not very expensive.

I know about the Gummi pflege spray. It sure does not seem to be anythng special as it seems like 1Z thin and water like, only a spray.

Are you sure Pelican sells the old (gel like) Gummi Pflege in a tube, part number 82 14 9 407 015? I tried to find it everywhere and no one seems to have it. If so, I am on it. :)

uscharalph
10-17-2005, 05:48 PM
However, I have bought from Bravian AutoSport if they had something interesting and not very expensive.

I know about the Gummi pflege spray. It sure does not seem to be anythng special as it seems like 1Z thin and water like, only a spray.

Are you sure Pelican sells the old (gel like) Gummi Pflege in a tube, part number 82 14 9 407 015? I tried to find it everywhere and no one seems to have it. If so, I am on it. :)
Pelican sells the spray.

Russell
10-17-2005, 06:04 PM
just what I thought-thanks