PDA

View Full Version : Really silly question--

High Compression II
10-16-2005, 12:38 PM
BUT where on earth is the battery on a 525TDs? :p

I ran the battery quite low, and needed to jump-start the car after changing fuel filter, but couldnt find the battery. I made some leads up and connected to the starter solenoid and earth, charged it from my old Merc for a while then all was well. :D

Still havent found the battery however..............

uscharalph
10-16-2005, 12:43 PM
BUT where on earth is the battery on a 525TDs? :p

I ran the battery quite low, and needed to jump-start the car after changing fuel filter, but couldnt find the battery. I made some leads up and connected to the starter solenoid and earth, charged it from my old Merc for a while then all was well. :D

Still havent found the battery however..............
Under the back seat?

High Compression II
10-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Could be! Cant figure out how to lift the thing, even pressing the little red buttons and lifting does nothing...........

Interceptor
10-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Could be! Cant figure out how to lift the thing, even pressing the little red buttons and lifting does nothing...........
The little red buttons are for the rear seat belts :) You just pull hard on the bench with your ass above the bench in the air and your legs left and right of the ridge in the middle. Don't pull too hard cause you can hurt your head if you hit the headliner with it. :)

uscharalph
10-16-2005, 02:03 PM
Sit on one side in the back seat and grab the edges of the back seat between your legs. Give it a quick tug / pull. Then do the other side in the same manner.

Traian
10-16-2005, 02:11 PM
If you need to get a boost, just pop the hood and there is a positive terminal for the battery (covered by a plastic flap marked with +), as well as two metal... posts I guess is the best word, on each side of the engine bay towards the cabin that will act as negative terminals. (at least it is so on my car - my battery is under the rear bench as well, passenger side, but I've seen that 530's have it under the front passenger seat, probably as a result of the lighter engine...so go figure)

BobHarris
10-16-2005, 04:52 PM
If you need to get a boost, just pop the hood and there is a positive terminal for the battery (covered by a plastic flap marked with +), as well as two metal... posts I guess is the best word, on each side of the engine bay towards the cabin that will act as negative terminals. (at least it is so on my car - my battery is under the rear bench as well, passenger side, but I've seen that 530's have it under the front passenger seat, probably as a result of the lighter engine...so go figure)

It's under the back seat of my 530 touring.

I assume it's the same in the saloons.

All the best

Bob

skr
10-16-2005, 05:07 PM
and enjoy the car

High Compression II
10-17-2005, 05:14 AM
Birthday spent changing the water pump and fuel filter--It was good weather, and I did enjoy it Nice easy job, all the better for working out easily and no head-gasget problems after--A perfect Sunday afternoon!

Took it for a 40 mile run to see how it performed on Veggy oil, and was well pleased!
Im going to check out that battery a bit later, and hopefully if I can find the drain-plug, Change the oil/filter etc, as the poor thing looks like its been neglected for a little while...........
Do you need to drop the whole plastic belly pan or is there a flap/hole to get at the drain plug?

You may have guessed, I havent got a handbook/working TIS at the moment. bought a tis from ebay, but wont run under windows XP............

Qsilver7
10-17-2005, 09:53 AM
here's a diagram & pic on how to lift rear seat...and if you are lifting it from inside the car and straddling the hump...raise your rear end above the seat with your back resting agains the seat back...place your hands on each side of the lower seat cushion and pull up sharply. Once you get the drift of how the seat comes out and how strong the seat clips are...you can do one side at a time from outside the car: :D

(if you have a Touring...do not just go in and pull up on the rear seat...you must remove the plastic surrounds from the rear seat belt recepticle first! Note that mine are laying on the floor mat in the pic below...there should be a small pin right on the front end of the recepticle that must be removed first, then the plastic surround can be lifted off, then you can remove the rear seat. Sometimes, the little pin is missing because a previous owner broke them or lost them attempting to remove the rear seat. See attached image.)

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739005_78_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739005_77_full.jpg

uscharalph
10-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Birthday spent changing the water pump and fuel filter--It was good weather, and I did enjoy it Nice easy job, all the better for working out easily and no head-gasget problems after--A perfect Sunday afternoon!

Took it for a 40 mile run to see how it performed on Veggy oil, and was well pleased!
Im going to check out that battery a bit later, and hopefully if I can find the drain-plug, Change the oil/filter etc, as the poor thing looks like its been neglected for a little while...........
Do you need to drop the whole plastic belly pan or is there a flap/hole to get at the drain plug?

You may have guessed, I havent got a handbook/working TIS at the moment. bought a tis from ebay, but wont run under windows XP............
Buying a Bentley is the best money you will spend!

Bill R.
10-17-2005, 10:49 AM
useful info in the tis for your car though.