PDA

View Full Version : 1998 318is Electric Window Problem

DAVEFRITH
10-16-2005, 05:06 AM
HI
I HAVE A 1998 318IS COUPE, IT HAS A PROBLEM WITH THE PASENGER SIDE ELECTRIC WINDOW. i HAVE PURCHASED A NEW MOTOR AND THIS HAS MADE NO DIFFERENCE. I HAVE ALSO SWAPED THE SWITCH FROM THE DRIVERS SIDE AND AGAIN THIS HAS MADE NO DIFFERENCE.
THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE WINDOW WILL NOT CLOSE PROPERLY WHEN THE SWITCH IS PRESSED AND RELEASED, INSTEAD THE WIDOW GOES SO FAR UP AND THEN GOES BACK DOWN. THE WINDOW CAN BE CLOSED IF I CAN KEEP MY FINGER ON THE SWITCH.

ANY IDEAS

REGARDS
DAVE.

winfred
10-16-2005, 09:26 AM
did you replace just the motor and not the gear box? if so it's possible the counter ring that tells the computer where the glass is has slipped out of position, by gear box i mean the black part that the motor bolts to that bolts to the regulator. sometimes you need to run the window up and down a couple times so it can learn it's position for the one touch

DAVEFRITH
10-16-2005, 10:56 AM
I Replaced The Whole Thing.

Thanks For Looking

winfred
10-16-2005, 01:38 PM
with the door closed try running it all of the way up and down (may take hitting the button several times to get it there if the window only goes a inch of two at a time) a time or two, and see if it behaves then, if it's still acting up id take a look at the switch that runs the dome light on the door, as you know on the two door cars the window retracts a little when you open the door, without that input it can act weird