PDA

View Full Version : Turbo'd E34's........successful people ??

Booster
10-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Hey gents.........after researching the past threads and seeing quite abit of interest in turbo charged E34's, I was wanting to see how many are ACTUALLY in the process or done and running their set-ups whether "a kit" or "a full custom" like I'm sorting out ??
I was also curious to see if anyone has considered using a chipped factory ECU for upgrade maps.........then running a Mega Squirt computer to control 2 additional injectors by the signal of a boost sensor ? My thought was the factory ECU doesent recognise boost,only vacuum and would run as normal with the Mega Squirt dealing with the need for added fuel upon boost.With the MS systems being SO affordable .it seemed a good idea to persue.
Any thoughts and I'm anxious for your projects to be talked about further.Thanks.
Vinny :D

Kalevera
10-15-2005, 10:11 PM
Talk to Jon about why he went with a supercharger versus a turbo.

Also, I don't think there's a need for any electrical fuel control, just get a rrfpr. $150 on ebay saves you the $300+ for a built MS setup and the hassle of installing and tuning it.

best, whit

632 Regal
10-15-2005, 11:00 PM
or be a drifter :D

bahnstormer
10-16-2005, 10:00 AM
um this board is really quiet re the turbo sitution

since u dont have an M30 i've really nothing to say
but u can check out the FI section on bimmerforums.com
which has a number of blown 2.5 liter motors (a lot from
the 3 series)

extra injectors is not a good way to tune if u ask me...
just up the size of teh stockers, get a chip, and use a
rrfpr - this combo is good up to about 12psi (depending
on your compression)

after that u're going really really fast and need to spend
lots of money

uscharalph
10-16-2005, 10:26 AM
LOL!!!

Booster
10-16-2005, 10:43 AM
um this board is really quiet re the turbo sitution

since u dont have an M30 i've really nothing to say
but u can check out the FI section on bimmerforums.com
which has a number of blown 2.5 liter motors (a lot from
the 3 series)

extra injectors is not a good way to tune if u ask me...
just up the size of teh stockers, get a chip, and use a
rrfpr - this combo is good up to about 12psi (depending
on your compression)

after that u're going really really fast and need to spend
lots of money

So those that have Turbo'd their cars are having reliable tuning with simply larger Injectors,Rising rate FPR and IC ?.......and who's tuned chip ?? E.A.T. or others ?
Thanks for the heads up on the BimmerForum F1 threads....I'll look into them.
I have no plans for this black 5 series to be fast or record breaking,just faster with more torque when I hit it. I seriously doubt I'll go above 5-7lbs boost with everything stock except ARP head studs and some porting and chipping.This should prove a decent upgrade over the invested time of searching a engine swap etc.( realizing simply buying a different car would be the best way to start)But this car hasn't got a ding or scratch and the interior is as if unused at all.
If I want to go fast as hell ....I'll drive my Turbo AWD Syclone truck or one of my turbo Datsun 240-Z's. This Bimmer is just for trips and cruizing the roads on nice weekends.
Input appreciated guys,,,thanks ! :)

kyleN20
10-16-2005, 12:02 PM
bahn, i love yer sig pic/car, how much are a set of those wheels?

bahnstormer
10-16-2005, 12:07 PM
at the moment TCD http://www.turbochargingdynamics.com/ is doign the chips
for the m30

at least that is where i plan to get mine from

i will be going 5-7psi non intercooled this winter and then eventually
i'll intercool it and turn the boost up

bahnstormer
10-16-2005, 12:08 PM
there is a turbo m20 from TCD for ya

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwD2AkgSIWCcIPO3uzfK1jTj!LfV17boLUW1WKJBCTTiL6Z8H ZRj0jUcknEz7q1AyxwwqjyzIGhTHn!DGn2lDhBxajolrYWcrg0 vSHIvtGE/P1020316.JPG

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwDVAkkSX2CcIPO3uzfK1pbLalktHg6enoW5awHjJOy4zskWn 7FtRaPme749Y2vck4bAch1TF0sWeFC!rLUkwwsLSzapEXh92xV NwgxTr0Y/P1020317.JPG

dacoyote
10-16-2005, 01:38 PM

LOL... post whore...

-Charles

Booster
10-16-2005, 04:10 PM
LOL... post whore...

-Charles

Maybe I should rephrase the content since owners WITH turbo systems aren't the ones replying ??
Basically, I was interested in those of you who have actually succeeded in turbo charging your BMW and have some responses to post in that task.
I'm not as interested in the pre-fabbed kits a s much as I am the hybrid DIY set-ups.
What Ex. manifold did you go with etc., perhaps you fabbed yours in stainless as I'm doing......or went with a cast iron one.
I was also wondering if anyone had run a t-3 and then changed up to a hybrid t-3/t-4 ?? What was the outcome and in which motor ?
I have everything I need to throw this system on save for the final choice of x-manifold.Intercooler,plumbing,oil lines,bungs for fittings,Adj. FPR,assorted injectors,several turbo choices on the shelf,Tial 40mm wastegate,large K&N with 3" aluminum tubing,3" Stainless tubing for down pipe and ss flanges.
So please chime in veterans.

:p

Booster
10-16-2005, 04:24 PM
there is a turbo m20 from TCD for ya

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwD2AkgSIWCcIPO3uzfK1jTj!LfV17boLUW1WKJBCTTiL6Z8H ZRj0jUcknEz7q1AyxwwqjyzIGhTHn!DGn2lDhBxajolrYWcrg0 vSHIvtGE/P1020316.JPG

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwDVAkkSX2CcIPO3uzfK1pbLalktHg6enoW5awHjJOy4zskWn 7FtRaPme749Y2vck4bAch1TF0sWeFC!rLUkwwsLSzapEXh92xV NwgxTr0Y/P1020317.JPG

Very good.thanks ! Looks like they're using an air to water IC. The nose cone or front bumper cover I'm using allows for plenty of room for an air-air IC. I believe its a Seidyl ?<sp> made of fiberglass.
I had seen a thread for Austrailian Stainless tubular manifolds........is there any stateside like this ? I don't need a tuned one.......a log style will do fine for my low HP goals.

Incantation
10-16-2005, 05:05 PM
i was going to buy a turbo but then i realized cars are slow and sportbikes are where it's at if you want speed

Booster
10-16-2005, 07:12 PM
i was going to buy a turbo but then i realized cars are slow and sportbikes are where it's at if you want speed

Been there ,done that. 172mph on a CBR 1000 was fun if your into riding alone.I lost three good friends to those machines when they lost to the odds of a car. I sold all three of my bikes eventually. It sucked having to ride so paranoid and dodging blind drivers.
Besides.........there are plenty of cars to build with turbos that can hang easily with bigger modded sport bikes,even smoke them.Its ALL good in the end.Enjoy what you enjoy.
As I mentioned earlier.....this car will be for safe reliable cruising ,not to break any records.

:D

bahnstormer
10-17-2005, 05:24 AM
well i'm doing a semi DIY, but as of the moment
i have a garrett t4 and a tcd log style cast iron manifold

cartech used to make manifolds so u might be able to find one used
but if u are making your own well then might as well make it
tubular ... is the 40mm tial a 2 bolt flange?

Booster
10-17-2005, 09:47 AM
well i'm doing a semi DIY, but as of the moment
i have a garrett t4 and a tcd log style cast iron manifold

cartech used to make manifolds so u might be able to find one used
but if u are making your own well then might as well make it
tubular ... is the 40mm tial a 2 bolt flange?

I actually have a 40 and a 46mm Tial and both set on the shelf at the moment.If I remember,they both are a four bolt configuration.I think the newese variety of the 40mm is a two bolt however.
I've watched Ebay auctions for the cast log manifolds, and have yet to find price for them pallatable.I'd rather make mine from SS.
Being that htese are crossflow heads certainly makes for easy packaging compared to my Z cars which are nestled and sharing space on the same side.
BTW....your red cars is sweet !

Bill in MA
10-17-2005, 05:59 PM
I added a turbo to mine about a year or so ago. It's a US-spec 92 E34 with the 3.5 M30 motor. Initially started with the Stage I kit from TCD (non intercooled) then moved up to the Stage 2 (air to water intercooler).

I'm running around 10 psi of boost now and the car is quite quick. Its exactly the kick in the pants these big ol' Bimmers need. Hardly any lag and very driveable around town. The only thing that hurts is the need to run premium fuel and 20 mpg. I've been flogging it relentlessly for the last 20,000 miles without any problems.

The Motronic is a bit too smart for its own good (beleive it or not). I'm using an FMU and 36# injectors to keep things happy, but had to wire the car so it thinks its at wide open throttle as soon as it builds boost or the ECU tries to lean it out. Timing on the M30 is quite aggressive at top end, and that caused some issues. The chip TCD has takes care of some of these issues. All in all it works, but the only way to make real power is to go with an aftermarket ECU and use the Motronic as a door stop/book end/coaster.

I'll try to post some pics soon.

Bill (in MA)

bahnstormer
10-17-2005, 06:04 PM
hey bill glad to see your response

andrew from boston is the only other guy that i know of to
run tcd stage2

he dyno'd at 13psi and had like 320 wheel hp i think

he post dyno graphs on bimmerforums
he also has a tec3r standalone

what fmu are u using?

Bill in MA
10-17-2005, 06:25 PM
Yeah, Andrew's car is pretty sweet with the TEC-3 and all. Actually saw the S-1 kit go in on his car.

The FMU is the one that TCD provides, I think it's by Bell Engineering.

Jon K
10-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Original poster:

I didn't notice if you mentioned whether your car was an M50 non vanos or a M20. If its model year 91 then its probably an M20. I actually have a Callaway turbo manifold for an M20. I believe it's flanged for a T3, I think there's an AirResearch T3 on it actually. You won't find many M20 turbos on here because there aren't many E34 M20's turbo'd to begin with.

If you're an M50, have fun. It's killerly expensive to turbo on. Ask me how I know. The M30 manifolds are like $600 whereas the M50 manifolds, only made by AA, Cartech, Turbonetics, etc, are all upwards of $1,000 and that's not even single tubes, thats a log. Don't ask me why they're so much.

Most modern wastegates (external) are 2-bolt now. A 40 and 42 or 44mm is rather large for your application, though that won't hurt. Most people are using 38mm even on large A/R T4's. Speaking of which, Martin, you have a T3/T04E, not a T4. Anyway, you can find a modern manifold and make an adapter plate out of 3/8" aluminum or just buy a new 38mm tial, not to much anymore.

The FMU is cheapest, but honestly it's a shot in the dark. I am running 9 psi supercharged with FMU. I have Bosch 310cc injectors (30#/hr) but the stock ECU maps simply will not run right with these injectors. I need a chip written. So, for xmas I am doing standalone fuel management with MegaSquirt. Its not that expensive, but it takes some know-how to configure. I went with the supercharger because I am anxious to smoke Martin from a stop. But seriously, I went supercharged because it's much better with daily driving. I mean, aside from the fact that my Audi S4 boost tube tore open... but that's not the superchargers fault.

Either way you go, it's not going to be as reliable as you would expect. Turbos are a pain in weather changes (cold air/hot air). Superchargers require all the bracketry and modification of the belt system, etc. The air-to-water intercoolers are nice, but the pumps can be noisey and the tanks are in the trunk though that's not a huge deal. Air-to-air can be had for 1/3 of the cost of an air-water and no need for a heat exchanger and all the plumbing. Also cheaper is water alcohol injection - research that. You definitely do not want to add injectors to your system. Switch from stock to maybe 19# and do a FMU for now. But excpet to do a fuel system later on. The M20 is one big coil so you could get MegaSquirt II and be full standalone. But yeah, its fun but it's really expensive.

Booster
10-18-2005, 09:32 AM
I added a turbo to mine about a year or so ago. It's a US-spec 92 E34 with the 3.5 M30 motor. Initially started with the Stage I kit from TCD (non intercooled) then moved up to the Stage 2 (air to water intercooler).

I'm running around 10 psi of boost now and the car is quite quick. Its exactly the kick in the pants these big ol' Bimmers need. Hardly any lag and very driveable around town. The only thing that hurts is the need to run premium fuel and 20 mpg. I've been flogging it relentlessly for the last 20,000 miles without any problems.

The Motronic is a bit too smart for its own good (beleive it or not). I'm using an FMU and 36# injectors to keep things happy, but had to wire the car so it thinks its at wide open throttle as soon as it builds boost or the ECU tries to lean it out. Timing on the M30 is quite aggressive at top end, and that caused some issues. The chip TCD has takes care of some of these issues. All in all it works, but the only way to make real power is to go with an aftermarket ECU and use the Motronic as a door stop/book end/coaster.

Bill (in MA)

That sounds encouraging for sure ! Thanks for the input and details too !
Are you using ARP head studs or any other items such as a thicker head gasket ?
A point I wanted to question earlier to everyone is: with the 91-up 525I six's....how many variety's of exhaust gaskets were there ? I've believe my engine is the "baby six" non Vanos version. I may have to just pull the manifold and water-jet the pattern I make from the flange instead of asking.
Love to see your engine pix when you can post them !
thanks..........Vinny

Booster
10-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Original poster:

I didn't notice if you mentioned whether your car was an M50 non vanos or a M20. If its model year 91 then its probably an M20. I actually have a Callaway turbo manifold for an M20. I believe it's flanged for a T3, I think there's an AirResearch T3 on it actually. You won't find many M20 turbos on here because there aren't many E34 M20's turbo'd to begin with.

If you're an M50, have fun. It's killerly expensive to turbo on. Ask me how I know. The M30 manifolds are like $600 whereas the M50 manifolds, only made by AA, Cartech, Turbonetics, etc, are all upwards of $1,000 and that's not even single tubes, thats a log. Don't ask me why they're so much.

Most modern wastegates (external) are 2-bolt now. A 40 and 42 or 44mm is rather large for your application, though that won't hurt. Most people are using 38mm even on large A/R T4's. Speaking of which, Martin, you have a T3/T04E, not a T4. Anyway, you can find a modern manifold and make an adapter plate out of 3/8" aluminum or just buy a new 38mm tial, not to much anymore.

The FMU is cheapest, but honestly it's a shot in the dark. I am running 9 psi supercharged with FMU. I have Bosch 310cc injectors (30#/hr) but the stock ECU maps simply will not run right with these injectors. I need a chip written. So, for xmas I am doing standalone fuel management with MegaSquirt. Its not that expensive, but it takes some know-how to configure. I went with the supercharger because I am anxious to smoke Martin from a stop. But seriously, I went supercharged because it's much better with daily driving. I mean, aside from the fact that my Audi S4 boost tube tore open... but that's not the superchargers fault.

Either way you go, it's not going to be as reliable as you would expect. Turbos are a pain in weather changes (cold air/hot air). Superchargers require all the bracketry and modification of the belt system, etc. The air-to-water intercoolers are nice, but the pumps can be noisey and the tanks are in the trunk though that's not a huge deal. Air-to-air can be had for 1/3 of the cost of an air-water and no need for a heat exchanger and all the plumbing. Also cheaper is water alcohol injection - research that. You definitely do not want to add injectors to your system. Switch from stock to maybe 19# and do a FMU for now. But excpet to do a fuel system later on. The M20 is one big coil so you could get MegaSquirt II and be full standalone. But yeah, its fun but it's really expensive.

Great Info Jon and guys.Thanks. I'm well versed on turbo charging, just not so intimate with the BMW yet. The two Tial wastegates are really waiting to go into my Z cars. I'll rob the smaller 38mm Tial out of one of them and utilize it for this build......sounds to be the right size.
Jon.....could I ask you to Email me a picture of the manifold you were speaking of ? I can then check and see what I have by it .Be sure and mention a asking price too if you wanted to sell it.
The MegaSquirts have certainly opened up a inexpensive way for enthusiasts to get real with their cars. Now with the advent of the MSnspark , things are even better.
But it sounds,as mild a build as I'm going, that I'll be able to stay stock with most things including ECU.
The 19lb Injector bump, air-air IC,38mmm gate,RRFFR ,low boost -5-7lbs.....done ??

bahnstormer
10-18-2005, 09:49 AM
i'm not sure that for 5-7psi u'd need to intercool...i am not going to (for those same psi) but your compression is higher than mine i belive

Booster
10-18-2005, 10:05 AM
i'm not sure that for 5-7psi u'd need to intercool...i am not going to (for those same psi) but your compression is higher than mine i belive

Well your right as far as a "have too" item. But I've seen all too many times how much better any T system performs with denser cooler air.....plus,its a free power adder when you consider its function and simplicity.
I know even on cooler evenings ...any of my turbo cars run stronger with the difference in the ambient temps. I have a decent smaller "bar and plate " IC on the shelf sized right for a front mount. Might as well use it for those hot Summer days. :D

bahnstormer
10-18-2005, 03:31 PM
yah at the moment jon k has an intercooler that he is trying to get in
the e34 bumper doesnt leave much room though so u'll prolly end up
cutting things...

i'm not sure i want to cut things so perhaps i will go for the TCD water2air
intercooler...

my plans are to just get the thing boosting first then play with temps and the

Booster
10-18-2005, 03:47 PM
yah at the moment jon k has an intercooler that he is trying to get in
the e34 bumper doesnt leave much room though so u'll prolly end up
cutting things...

i'm not sure i want to cut things so perhaps i will go for the TCD water2air
intercooler...

my plans are to just get the thing boosting first then play with temps and the

Understood. i had purchased an aftermarket nose cone that better allows for a front mount, although I may still have to trim some steel to allocate the IC plumbing to get the proper packaging look. I just painted a new Aluminum radiator core support and installed it. So once I have everything mocked back up ,I'll commit to tightening things back up .I won't need the car to drive till this Spring, so no rush.
Its great to see there are a number of guys Charging their cars here.The more the merrier. Plenty of learning ground to be had.
............Vinny

Booster
10-20-2005, 10:31 AM

Bill (in MA)

Thats a response about the ECU I was expecting. Not a BIG issue but yet could be solved with the use of A Mega Squirt & Spark perhaps quite inexpensively.
Or like I mentioned prior, by using the MS as a driver only for two pre-throttle plate injectors signaled by the boost sensor and controller already installed with the MS computer.
As long as you have a strong fuel delivery system, and a decent ECU chip...the result should be sweet.I've done this same set-up on 240-Z turbo cars to the tune of 25-385 hp and no detonation. These cars were actually pushing some higher boost too.15-21lbs. SO a low boost car should respond quite easily one would think.
The only unknown for me at this point will be the factory cams and breathing and of course the rear diff. gearing..........whether or not those are a happy marriage for the turbo chosen to run.Anyone recognise issues with their stock units once turbo'd ??
...............Vinny

Bill in MA
10-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Just for an FYI the install of the heat exchangers for the air-water intercooler was a snap. Just unbolt the bumper, mount them behind the lower air grill and bolt the bumper back in place. No cutting or other clearance issues. One of the easiest parts of the install.

Bill

Bill in MA
10-20-2005, 02:50 PM
In my case the suspension was the weak link. With the new found power and plenty of rubber on the road (255/40s in the rear and 235's up front) the car would squat and squirm under hard acceleration. Fitting Bav Auto springs and bilstein sports fixed those problems. So far so good on the diff, but I tend to roll into the power rather than hammering it off the line...

Bill

Booster
10-20-2005, 03:13 PM
Just for an FYI the install of the heat exchangers for the air-water intercooler was a snap. Just unbolt the bumper, mount them behind the lower air grill and bolt the bumper back in place. No cutting or other clearance issues. One of the easiest parts of the install.

Bill

Very good ! It sounds pretty straight forward then. That same style of IC system is whats in my Syclone AWD GMC truck. Works great. We usually mod the transfer pumps to run full time and use a larger exchanger on them for more capacity,then amoungst other things.....raise the boost.
Vinny

Booster
10-24-2005, 12:04 PM
In my case the suspension was the weak link. With the new found power and plenty of rubber on the road (255/40s in the rear and 235's up front) the car would squat and squirm under hard acceleration. Fitting Bav Auto springs and bilstein sports fixed those problems. So far so good on the diff, but I tend to roll into the power rather than hammering it off the line...

Bill
Good report BIll. I'm glad to hear you liked the Barvarian springs as I have a Red set waiting to go on as soon as I pick the shocks.
I've got some pretty fat meats on the Schnitzers so I should be fine there.
What did you end up changing in your fuel system IE; pump,injs.,regulator ??
.............Vinny

bahnstormer
10-24-2005, 04:20 PM
stock injectors are good til about 12psi on the m30

not sure for your app...but then again stock means tired as most of
our cars have a couple thousand miles on em

MarkD
10-24-2005, 07:00 PM
at the moment TCD http://www.turbochargingdynamics.com/ is doign the chips
for the m30

at least that is where i plan to get mine from

i will be going 5-7psi non intercooled this winter and then eventually
i'll intercool it and turn the boost up

And where do you think the TCD chip was designed? eBay? :D

It came from Toronto, Canada.

MarkD

Jon K
10-24-2005, 07:08 PM
And where do you think the TCD chip was designed? eBay? :D

It came from Toronto, Canada.

MarkD
I need to go to Toronto, Canada... or something ;)

MarkD
10-24-2005, 07:28 PM
I need to go to Toronto, Canada... or something ;)

Jon,

I hope to start work on a new series of chips for forced induction BMW's in the spring. (I will start then as I am busy in November and then out of the country in December)

I originally was planning to make a MAF conversion and special chip for both NA and FI M20 and M30 motors. Now the plan has changed, I am going to research whether I can convert a Motronic DME to a MAP sensor, I plan to use a 1 bar sensor for NA and 2 bar sensor for FI. Right now I don't see any technical roadblock. (but the maps will have to be drastically changed in the FI chips)

If the FI MAP sensor based chip works well, you just have to replace the AFM with a MAP sensor, change injectors, use my special chip and away you go!
No RRFPR either. I hate those. (yes you may need a high flow fuel pump but still a 3 bar FPR)

MarkD

Jon K
10-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Jon,

I hope to start work on a new series of chips for forced induction BMW's in the spring. (I will start then as I am busy in November and then out of the country in December)

I originally was planning to make a MAF conversion and special chip for both NA and FI M20 and M30 motors. Now the plan has changed, I am going to research whether I can convert a Motronic DME to a MAP sensor, I plan to use a 1 bar sensor for NA and 2 bar sensor for FI. Right now I don't see any technical roadblock. (but the maps will have to be drastically changed in the FI chips)

If the FI MAP sensor based chip works well, you just have to replace the AFM with a MAP sensor, change injectors, use my special chip and away you go!
No RRFPR either. I hate those. (yes you may need a high flow fuel pump but still a 3 bar FPR)

MarkD
Mark thanks for the response!

I am very interested. So now the question is, what kind of pricing are we talking about? Reason being, it's xmas time and I am hoping to do tuning for xmas... so... by the sound of it, I don't think you'll have something ready by then. Will I run my MAF additionally to the MAP? How does MAP deal with partial throttle (no positive manifold pressure)? This is for an M50 by the way. Would you want a test vehicle? I have adequate mechanical and electrical skills and could provide feedback! I want to be the guinea pig! I have bosch 30# injectors as it is now... and a walbro 255 fuel pump. Let me know! I am excited!

bahnstormer
10-24-2005, 09:09 PM

MarkD

hey mark that is awesome! for the m30 FI are we going to need a intake air temp gauge after we delete the afm?

are you working with todd from tcd on this at all?

thanks,
martin

MarkD
10-24-2005, 11:25 PM
hey mark that is awesome! for the m30 FI are we going to need a intake air temp gauge after we delete the afm?

Yes, but I didn't mention that in my post.

are you working with todd from tcd on this at all?

thanks,
martin

No I am not, no need to. And this new line of chips will be on an anti-copy board also.

MarkD

Booster
10-25-2005, 09:13 AM
stock injectors are good til about 12psi on the m30

not sure for your app...but then again stock means tired as most of
our cars have a couple thousand miles on em

Sounds like a cleaned set would do for my lower than 12 lbs of boost in this car.It has 116,000 miles on it.
Do you guys run yours with a Cat delete ?
Vinny

Jon K
10-25-2005, 11:23 AM
Sounds like a cleaned set would do for my lower than 12 lbs of boost in this car.It has 116,000 miles on it.
Do you guys run yours with a Cat delete ?
Vinny Don't delete the cats. If you want better flow, get high-flow cats (Magnaflow 2.5" $80 each). You won't appreciate the amount of flame that pops out the butt of the car. FI tunings tend to run richer (obviously) and so sometimes when you get off boost, you'll spit a little bit of unburnt fuel. Without any cats, it gets very.. bright. My car will sputter a little fireball every now and then, but its nothing ridiculous. Leave the cats.

With a turbo M30 you'll be doing a 3" exhaust anyway, 3" magnaflow cat is very easy to fit in there.

Booster
10-25-2005, 02:42 PM
Don't delete the cats. If you want better flow, get high-flow cats (Magnaflow 2.5" $80 each). You won't appreciate the amount of flame that pops out the butt of the car. FI tunings tend to run richer (obviously) and so sometimes when you get off boost, you'll spit a little bit of unburnt fuel. Without any cats, it gets very.. bright. My car will sputter a little fireball every now and then, but its nothing ridiculous. Leave the cats.

With a turbo M30 you'll be doing a 3" exhaust anyway, 3" magnaflow cat is very easy to fit in there.

Jon.........your's still puffs a flame with the cats in place ? I know my larger turbo systems on the Z cars do that, but I'm running alot more fuel with those maps.
Vinny

Jon K
10-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Jon.........your's still puffs a flame with the cats in place ? I know my larger turbo systems on the Z cars do that, but I'm running alot more fuel with those maps.
Vinny
Yeah, it will, depending on how high i have the FMU set...

my friend showed me it the other night when i drove away lol.

Booster
10-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Yeah, it will, depending on how high i have the FMU set...

my friend showed me it the other night when i drove away lol.

LOL.....cool, nothing wrong with a little "cop attractor "there !! :p I'd love to see an image of your car doing it too !
.........Vinny