PDA

View Full Version : How do you tighten the nut

KurtM
10-15-2005, 07:17 PM
when replacing the tie rods if the ball joint turns? With the locking nut the joint turns and there is nothing to hold so it won't turn. Tried aligator vise grips but don't want to damage boot.

Thanks,
Kurt
95 525ia

Rigmaster
10-15-2005, 08:08 PM
You need to put some slight upward pressure on the shaft, use a floor jack if you can get under it. Slight pressure is all you should need, just enough to get the nut started, then it will bite enough to tighten/

Bret.

Dave M
10-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Had the same issue with thrust arm replacement. Bean a while, but I may have used a C-clamp to hold it together long enough to start the thread. A jack would do just fine :)

Dave M

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
10-15-2005, 10:28 PM
Easy. Substitute the locking nut for a plain nut and snug it down. Replace the plain nut with the locking nut and torque.

632 Regal
10-15-2005, 10:57 PM
Stolen from my original post in the archives...somewhere...lol

works every time though.

Easy. Substitute the locking nut for a plain nut and snug it down. Replace the plain nut with the locking nut and torque.

uscharalph
10-16-2005, 12:28 AM
Nice tip!

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
10-17-2005, 08:35 AM
Stolen from my original post in the archives...somewhere...lol

works every time though.

Stolen? I first used this trick 20 years ago while repairing my 2002 :p

peks
10-17-2005, 09:00 AM
thanks a million guys. my center tie rod is on the way in the mail right now. should make life easier this weekend.

632 Regal
10-17-2005, 10:43 AM
well us old timers dont see many common sence tips these days...kinda like sticking bread in a water pipe that needs soldering. :D

Stolen? I first used this trick 20 years ago while repairing my 2002 :p

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
10-17-2005, 12:57 PM
well us old timers dont see many common sence tips these days...kinda like sticking bread in a water pipe that needs soldering. :D

Funny you should mention the old Wonderbread plumbing trick. We used it a couple of weeks ago while replacing the water heater at my brother's house. He packed some wadded Wonderbread into the supply and output lines and after the water was back on there was no water coming out of just one of the many taps. He was getting worried after about 15 minutes and finally a plug of Wonder sludge came out the tap.

I've freaked out a few friends with this trick - funniest was a workmate's wife's reaction during another water tank replacement. I asked her for 2 slices of Wonderbread and when she gave them to me I ate the first slice and wadded the other into the pipes. :D