PDA

View Full Version : Gauge Lights, Parking Lamps... INOP in 535i

an535i
10-15-2005, 01:07 PM
1990 535i Automatic US Car 8/89

Wow so all this kinda happened at the same time: The parking lights on the passenger side of my car quit working all together... Then when I drove the car at night I realized the lights that illuminate the gauges are out as well. Ohh and the License Plate lights are dead too.. Headlights / Fog Lights / Brake lights working properly and the turn signals do still work... Even thought the parking light does not..

Any ideas ??

Javier
10-16-2005, 09:43 AM
if not, light switch continuity between Red/Blue wire and Gray/Black wire when switch is turned on to any position.

Javier

an535i
10-18-2005, 04:13 PM
Im sorry can you give any clearer instructions?? It is both License plate lights, the right side parking lights: (tail light and amber park light in front)..

Javier
10-19-2005, 11:04 AM
check fuse F5, just in case, it is located in the front power distribution box at the left corner formed between fender and firewall (black plastic box).

For the lights switch, you will have to pull out the light switch (see attached picture), identify the said colored wires, operate the switch to any on position, and verify both wires have about 12 volts when measured to ground. Red/Blue wire should have said voltage if fuse F5 is OK, Gray/Black wire should have it if switch is OK and turned on to any position. There is also a Gray/Yellow wire that should receive 12 volts when switch is turned on, that is used to light up park lights.

I'd bet the fuse F5 is gone, or its cradle corroded or dirty. Check this fuse carefully as a first approach.

And, yes F5 feed both license plate lights together.

Javier