PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a-hole drivers and bad roads

dave b
03-04-2004, 01:11 AM
This is probably most relevant to people living in Los Angeles and Boston.

As I drive my e34 everyday on LA's **** roads and face incompetent drivers everywhere I turn here, I'm wondering two things:

1) Who pays when I hit a really bad section of the road and sustain damage to my car? I'm talking about mechanical or suspension damage from a bad pothole I'm guessing I do, but does insurance cover this.

2) What if I miss a shift because a bad driver surprises me? This probably makes me a bad driver, but sometimes these guys cut me off out of nowhere, and here in LA it's hard to talk on my cell phone, drink coffee, eat breakfast, and shift in traffic at the same time.

Just curious, as I just got through plunking down what seems like $18,000 on my 6 month car insurance and I'm wondering what I get.

Thanks in advance (especially to Scott E, resident insurance expert).

Scott E
03-04-2004, 01:28 AM
This is probably most relevant to people living in Los Angeles and Boston.

As I drive my e34 everyday on LA's **** roads and face incompetent drivers everywhere I turn here, I'm wondering two things:

1) Who pays when I hit a really bad section of the road and sustain damage to my car? I'm talking about mechanical or suspension damage from a bad pothole I'm guessing I do, but does insurance cover this. I doubt any insurance company will pay out on that type of claim unless the road was washed out or something else really extreme causing you to lose control of the car.

2) What if I miss a shift because a bad driver surprises me? This probably makes me a bad driver, but sometimes these guys cut me off out of nowhere, and here in LA it's hard to talk on my cell phone, drink coffee, eat breakfast, and shift in traffic at the same time. Your e34 is not a phonebooth or a cafe. I use a wireless bluetooth headset for my cell phone and only drink bottled water in the car. You dont want to be an embarrassment to other BMW owners by missing a shift in traffic. Leave that to the ricers.

Just curious, as I just got through plunking down what seems like $18,000 on my 6 month car insurance and I'm wondering what I get. You are getting protection in case you have an accident. Since you choose to live in Los Angeles the insurance companies charge a higher rate based on ZIP code. They should at least give you a little KY with your bill.

Thanks in advance (especially to Scott E, resident insurance expert). You asked :)

jplacson
03-04-2004, 12:58 PM
Well, in the Philippines, we can relate to 1 & 2... most of us who have low profile tires and huge rims... well, we drive like we're in an obstacle course... or some of us slow down (15kph) until we pass the hole or bump... which is almost the entire length of the main road.

For number 2, well, I use a Bluetooth headset, and have a Blaupunkt Thumber remote on my steering wheel. Give a friend a ride and have them feed you so that you can still keep both hands on the wheel! :lol: hahahaha... the last one was a joke btw.

#3...hmmm... can you get cheaper insurance? For that amount you can just buy another E34, and buy the other guy a new car as well! :lol:

632 Regal
03-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Lmao!

Jason
03-04-2004, 02:45 PM
you have no idea how quickly the city will age your car. The drivers here are the worst, and lets not forget the concentration of them. Cabs, buses, messengers on scooters, people with way out of town plates are also a trip and lets not forget arrogant pedestrians who walk into the middle of the street while waiting to cross..... and this is just the city, when you get on the surrounding highways its blast, the LIE for example, its like people wer taught to stay left, and flashing the highbeams is like insulting their mother. Driving really is a simple task and the rules of the road aren't that complicated at all. it kinda makes me wonder how 99.9% of the people driving can be complete idiots. Its also frustrating cause it forces me to do things like pass on the right. Put the phone down, and stay right, use the signals and mirrors... i could go on. sorry for the rant.

Brian C.
03-04-2004, 03:06 PM
....on who has the worst drivers!

And as far as bad roads are concerned, here in South Florida, the actual road surfaces are not the worst. It's just that on a daily average at least 146% of all roads are under some kind of construction and/or destruction.

The drivers here are bad because 97% of them have never actually learned how to drive according to "real driving rules". You know, the ones in that little book we all had to read to pass the test and get a permit. Generations of drivers here have come and gone and still not four of them have ever progressed past the ox-cart stage. Directional signals, proper lane changes, passing on the left, "complete stop", 4-way stops, even the painted white and yellow lines.........mean absolutley nothing to the vast majority of drivers here. And I'm not even including in this bunch the road-raged-out a$$holes and degenerates who don't give a damn for anyone else's safety.

But maybe I'm being a bit too harsh.........

Brian C.
(whew...I feel better....thanks!)

AA540
03-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Check out this story about road damage. http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20040216-094806-8974r.htm

Snip " The District, Maryland and Virginia each give their crews 72 hours to fix a pothole after it's reported, though they try for a turnaround time of 24 hours.
David Buck, a spokesman for Maryland's State Highway Administration, said it has to be proven that the agency knew about the pothole and didn't do anything about it.
"Once you fill out a claim form with the date and time of when [the damage occurred] with the Treasurer's Office, it's compared to the date when we were first informed of the pothole. Negligence on our part has to be shown for [compensation]."

End snip'

I would check your local DOT, or Dept of Public works.

winfred
03-04-2004, 08:30 PM
the only time the road crews jump on anything around here is when it makes the news, theres a double set of bridges about a mile and a half from my shop and about once a year about a 4 foot hole opens up in the older of the two, you can see right through to the amite river through the road bed, after about half dozen cars folded up suspension and crushed rims a cop showed up and parked infront of the hole, the last occaision was last week, sorta fun to drive by

DueyT
03-04-2004, 09:35 PM
....on who has the worst drivers!

And as far as bad roads are concerned, here in South Florida, the actual road surfaces are not the worst. It's just that on a daily average at least 146% of all roads are under some kind of construction and/or destruction.

The drivers here are bad because 97% of them have never actually learned how to drive according to "real driving rules". You know, the ones in that little book we all had to read to pass the test and get a permit. Generations of drivers here have come and gone and still not four of them have ever progressed past the ox-cart stage. Directional signals, proper lane changes, passing on the left, "complete stop", 4-way stops, even the painted white and yellow lines.........mean absolutley nothing to the vast majority of drivers here. And I'm not even including in this bunch the road-raged-out a$$holes and degenerates who don't give a damn for anyone else's safety.

But maybe I'm being a bit too harsh.........

Brian C.
(whew...I feel better....thanks!)
Brian, I think it's safe to say that there are incompetant idiots on every road. A while back, doing a ride along with my OPP neighbour, he attempted to pull over some old fart driving a Buick Century, 10 km/h below the limit, in the left lane, drifting erratically within the lane and sometime into the other. It took 3 km of the cruisers lights and flashers, I **** you not, before the guy pulled over. Then he said, "oh, I though you were trying to go past me." Uh...that would be why you were staying in the passing lane then, sir?

My buddy came back just shaking his head. He almost lost it when I suggested that maybe the old guy didn't pull over right away because the "Mrs." had her dentures out and was giving him a good gumming!:D

Cheers,
Duey

Brian C.
03-04-2004, 09:59 PM
:d

winfred
03-04-2004, 10:13 PM
one of my favorites, on the way home in 5:30 traffic this ass in a porsche boxster cuts across 4 lanes of traffic @75 mph with one hand on the roll bar behind his head and the other.................wait for it............ holding a ****ing cell phone to his precious little head, whats up? he must of had a prehensile dick cause i sure can't steer like that with my knees, the only one that pisses my off more are these *******s with their foot hanging out the window while driving, i had to stop myself from running him off the road and beating the **** outta him, wheres a cop when you need him? oh yea i forgot handing out speeding tickets for 5 over.
gets down off soap box and reloads more ammo:)