PDA

View Full Version : Car braking by itself!

romus
10-15-2005, 07:42 AM
Hey guys

I've read about another ABS problem below and not to hijack that guys thread, i wanted to see if anyone here had similar problem to mine.

While owning the 535i manual 1989 for a year now, on two separate occasions i've had the car brake entirely by itself. I am not kidding. Once on the highway at 90km/h and months later in residential 50km/h area. Both times my foot was well and clear off the brake pedal, on the accelerator and the "braking" didnt last longer than a fraction of a second. Car just starts to slow down as if foot is firmly slammed on the brake...but it isnt! Both times it was followed by 2-3 seconds of the ABS idiot light coming on. Then everything goes back to normal.

Anyone else had this freak occurance??

Thanks

Kalevera
10-15-2005, 04:07 PM
That's a relatively common problem on the early E34/E32 cars. It'll also happen after ~ 20 minutes of normal driving (car will start braking by itself).

It's a master cylinder issue. Most shops run after the ABS system (because of the light), usually in error. My money's on the master -- it's mucked up and the compensating port is getting clogged. The fluid heats up, expands, resulting in more fluid pressure on the friction(s).

By the way, good of you to buy the Bentley ;)

Best, whit

romus
10-16-2005, 12:20 AM
hey lowell. Thanks :)

Didn't worry me much when i happened but it was a little weird. Just then i read about the other guy's ABS problem so i remembered mine.

Thanks again

uscharalph
10-16-2005, 12:23 AM
Hey guys

I've read about another ABS problem below and not to hijack that guys thread, i wanted to see if anyone here had similar problem to mine.

While owning the 535i manual 1989 for a year now, on two separate occasions i've had the car brake entirely by itself. I am not kidding. Once on the highway at 90km/h and months later in residential 50km/h area. Both times my foot was well and clear off the brake pedal, on the accelerator and the "braking" didnt last longer than a fraction of a second. Car just starts to slow down as if foot is firmly slammed on the brake...but it isnt! Both times it was followed by 2-3 seconds of the ABS idiot light coming on. Then everything goes back to normal.

Anyone else had this freak occurance??

Thanks
It's never happened to me, but that is pretty wierd.

uscharalph
10-16-2005, 12:24 AM
It's never happened to me, but that is pretty wierd.
I guess it'd be even wierder if the car accelerated by itself.

romus
10-16-2005, 12:30 AM
haha yeh the next thing you know it'd ask you "where can i take you today, pal?"