PDA

View Full Version : Semi-urgent- Coolant Cap.

liquidtiger720
10-15-2005, 12:02 AM
So, i was just looking around for my coolant leak...and did some random squeezing of the hoses. I suddenly heard a hiss....and it is apparently coming from the radiator cap. How critical is it to replace this part before driving? When the car was on...nothing was spewing out, and i couldnt see any areas it might be leaking from.

bimmerd00d
10-15-2005, 12:04 AM
For your info, there were recalls on the coolant caps. Run to the dealer and see if you can get it for free ;) Especially teh E34 M50 motors. I got mine for free 2 yrs ago.

EDIT: The flat top cap is the new design, if your cap has a dome top it's the old design.

shogun
10-15-2005, 12:38 AM
http://www.homeofsbc.com/Hints/Replace_The_Expansion_Cap/replace_the_expansion_cap.html

uscharalph
10-15-2005, 12:51 AM
So, i was just looking around for my coolant leak...and did some random squeezing of the hoses. I suddenly heard a hiss....and it is apparently coming from the radiator cap. How critical is it to replace this part before driving? When the car was on...nothing was spewing out, and i couldnt see any areas it might be leaking from.
How old is your cap? I've heard they have only so many overheats in them. For $5 or $6 it's worth replacing it. It's not urgent if your not overheating, but get it done.

liquidtiger720
10-15-2005, 01:18 AM
Ok. thanks guys. It is the updated version...so, idunno. Anyways. I'm going to try to pick one up before the drive tommorow, but we'll see.