PDA

View Full Version : drivers wheel moves backward in the wheel well

PhilipJCaputo
10-14-2005, 08:39 PM
hey all, been a while....

so today I hear this noise as I tap on the breaks... sounds like its coming from the drivers front wheel area.... at my buddies house, I have him watch the wheel as I drive down his driveway and tap on the brakes.... he says it looks like the wheel shifts back in the wheel well....

I have had for quite some time a clunk noise when I drive over large bumps, or ruts in the road...

I'm thinking control arm?? I'm only slightly worried that the wheel might move farther back in the wheel well... but not too worried... I got up under there and a first look, nothing is hanging loose..

thoughts?

pundit
10-14-2005, 08:53 PM
hey all, been a while....

so today I hear this noise as I tap on the breaks... sounds like its coming from the drivers front wheel area.... at my buddies house, I have him watch the wheel as I drive down his driveway and tap on the brakes.... he says it looks like the wheel shifts back in the wheel well....

I have had for quite some time a clunk noise when I drive over large bumps, or ruts in the road...

I'm thinking control arm?? I'm only slightly worried that the wheel might move farther back in the wheel well... but not too worried... I got up under there and a first look, nothing is hanging loose..

thoughts?

T.A.B.!!
Thrust arm bushes ;)
These are a common issue with the E34 and, if worn, will cause the fore and aft movement you described.
Worn bushes also cause a shimmy at around 60-65mph worsened by applying the brakes at the same speed.

winfred
10-14-2005, 08:54 PM
the thrust arm bushing is shot, that's where the movement/noise is coming from

Black 535i
10-14-2005, 09:27 PM
...check the ball joint as well.

the thrust arm bushing is shot, that's where the movement/noise is coming from

Springfield1952
10-14-2005, 10:39 PM
My son just did the thrust arm replacement on Wednesday for the Touring. It's like driving a new car! No brake shutter and no shimmy. If you replace the bushings get the 750 ones, I got them from BMA already pressed into new arms.

Curt.

PhilipJCaputo
10-14-2005, 11:31 PM
thrust arms you say.... pricey?? and the car is safe to drive at city speeds until I get the repair?

Mewsy
10-15-2005, 02:51 AM
thrust arms you say.... pricey?? and the car is safe to drive at city speeds until I get the repair?
and had the ball joints and thrust arm bushes replaced here in Oz, car now is steady as a rock at any speed. My mechanic said it was normal wear given that my car had done around 220,000km Cost me around $700 all up

liquidtiger720
10-15-2005, 08:20 AM
and had the ball joints and thrust arm bushes replaced here in Oz, car now is steady as a rock at any speed. My mechanic said it was normal wear given that my car had done around 220,000km Cost me around $700 all up

$700 just for the T.A.B.'s????

anyways, my wheel moved foward and aft as you describe when my bushings were bad. New ones tightened it right back up. Its kind of scary to see it move back so much isnt it.

PhilipJCaputo
10-15-2005, 08:50 AM
anyways, my wheel moved foward and aft as you describe when my bushings were bad. New ones tightened it right back up. Its kind of scary to see it move back so much isnt it.
I didn't actually see them, but I can picture it in my head... and what I'm picturing is probably worse then what it really is....

calling the dealer now to get a price.... I'd rather order from BMA, but then I can't take care of it this weekend...

---EDIT---

why do I even give the dealer a chance.... they didn't have the 750 bushings in... and they wanted more than twice what BMA has listed on their web page for the upper control (thrust) arms...

looks like I'll be limping around for a few days until the parts come in.

Claude
10-17-2005, 11:42 AM
My son just did the thrust arm replacement on Wednesday for the Touring. It's like driving a new car! No brake shutter and no shimmy. If you replace the bushings get the 750 ones, I got them from BMA already pressed into new arms.

Curt.

The 750 bushing being stiffer than the regular one:
- is the change noticeble on the ride ?
- certainly recommanded to change both bushing (left and right) à the same time, will the handling of the car be acceptable is only the one on the defectgice trust arm is change ?