PDA

View Full Version : Blacked Out Grill

infinity5
10-14-2005, 05:16 PM
So I got a little bored and took the chrome trip pieces of my grill (note sig pic below) and wraped them neatly in electrical tape to see what they might look like blacked out.

I'm not sure what to think of it, actaully. I kind of miss the chrome, it looks pretty plain now.

I'll get pictures up later, right now my roommate has them stashed on his computer, sorry ;)

What do you guys think? Any of you with good shots of your grills blacked out?

If it wasn't for the dirt and the unfinsiehd edges, i'd say the car almost looked good with out the grill trim period... the holes were even larger and wider. It was neat.

Beez540
10-14-2005, 05:38 PM
I had some coverups color matched when I had my decks repainted.

I just washed the car last weekend and now it's covered in bugs again, I'll get some pics taken and posted in the "VIRTUAL CAR SHOW" as soon as it's cleaned up and the new wheels & tires are on.

I like the cover up look, but somedays I I want my chrome back... I put them on with 3M sticky tape though, so it should make for easy removal if I want to change back.

uscharalph
10-14-2005, 06:23 PM
So I got a little bored and took the chrome trip pieces of my grill (note sig pic below) and wraped them neatly in electrical tape to see what they might look like blacked out.

I'm not sure what to think of it, actaully. I kind of miss the chrome, it looks pretty plain now.

I'll get pictures up later, right now my roommate has them stashed on his computer, sorry ;)

What do you guys think? Any of you with good shots of your grills blacked out?

If it wasn't for the dirt and the unfinsiehd edges, i'd say the car almost looked good with out the grill trim period... the holes were even larger and wider. It was neat.
Personally I don't like the blacked out grill, except on some black BMW's.

bimmerd00d
10-14-2005, 06:24 PM
blackout = sexy.

onewhippedpuppy
10-14-2005, 07:09 PM
See my pics in the virtual car show, for blacked out on green, mine came that way. I don't like it, too much black. I'm going to try body color next, if I don't like that I'll go back to chrome.

Rory535i
10-14-2005, 07:21 PM
I did my grille along with the window trim and I think it looks far better. Also it depends on the colour of your car a lot too I think. Not a great pic but gives you some idea...

infinity5
10-14-2005, 07:24 PM
Thanks guys. I think bimmerd00ds comment convinced me. If nothing else, I want him to think my car is sexy, yah know? :D

I did my grille along with the window trim and I think it looks far better. Also it depends on the colour of your car a lot too I think. Not a great pic but gives you some idea...
Rory- I'm not a fan of narrow grills at all but that black on black looks goddamn amazing, nice.
-EDIT - Now that I take a second look, it might just be the fact that you've got a euro plate, which automatcally makes the front of these cars look 100% better. I hate my ugly black square I have now, even with the fill-in.

Any yeah, pictures of my white stallion will be up.. sometime... with the blacked out grill. I know tons of us have white cars, so I'm obligated to represent.

Rory535i
10-14-2005, 07:29 PM
My car's actually dark green, it's just the light that makes it look black. thanks for the comment though. It'll be black soon though, respraying it. I used to have a euro plate when i lived in Ireland but now i got one of those stupid square aussie ones :(

Sean H
10-14-2005, 08:09 PM
Personally I don't like the blacked out grill, except on some black BMW's.
I'm actually the opposite. Hate 'em on black cars, think they look great on white and silver cars.
Diffr'nt strokes...

Paul in NZ
10-14-2005, 11:16 PM
sorry i dont agre,I think a black car w/narrow grill loks just right with chrome.....just how e34 atr supposed to look!

Interceptor
10-15-2005, 05:02 AM
sorry i dont agre,I think a black car w/narrow grill loks just right with chrome.....just how e34 atr supposed to look!
I'm with you on this one!

JAlfredPrufrock
10-15-2005, 07:25 AM
<-------- Black grill on black car

SLEX Runner
10-15-2005, 07:31 AM
Any of you with good shots of your grills blacked out?

I believe this grill is blacked out. IMO, when you decide to black out the chrome, you need to work on the other chrome trim and not just the grill.

wingman
10-15-2005, 10:29 AM
I met the guy who invented that stuff. M3 sticky Tape!!! I was blown away. He gave me his business card even though he's retired. He was in OZ on a holiday. That's like inventing the wheel or 'post-it' notes. Amazing! I'll crawl back in my hole now.

infinity5
10-15-2005, 12:55 PM
I met the guy who invented that stuff. M3 sticky Tape!!! I was blown away. He gave me his business card even though he's retired. He was in OZ on a holiday. That's like inventing the wheel or 'post-it' notes. Amazing! I'll crawl back in my hole now.
lol... just, to everything you wrote ;)

Speeder 553
03-25-2006, 04:07 PM
I have a black on black with very little chrome trim (most blacked out) but I pulled off my chrome grill trim to see what it would look like blacked out and there is just not enough contast between the black grill/black bumper/hood. Kind of looks like something is missing (like a hole in the center between the headlights). I'm putting the chrome back on.

Kobe Diesel
03-25-2006, 04:24 PM
I blacked out my grill chrome with elect tape, and the contrast is fantastic, much better without the chrome. I can hadly wait to do the chrome around the windows.

Incantation
03-25-2006, 04:38 PM
what works the best is to keep things uniform. the only thing that looks stupid is something that's out of place.. for example chrome door handles on a blacked out/shadowlined car..

the dark kidneys can look great. it just depends on what else you've done to the vehicle..