PDA

View Full Version : ::.. CODE and the hood switch

Qube
10-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Just a heads up. If you didn't know or haven't found out... if you set the CODE (if your OBC supports it) and then pop your hood, the alarm will go off. This is the factory horn under the vent I believe.

I found it out while working on the car today... wasn't that fun? ;)

Is there anything else that the CODE protection enables?

Torque
10-13-2005, 08:30 PM
I got a question about the CODE function since I have not tried it before for fear of messin' something up.

I don't have the stock radio headunit ... and I read in the manual that when CODE function is on, if the radio is removed, alarm goes off -- if I set mine, will it go off right away since I don't have the factory radio ? And should this function work on all e34s ?

I fear everything electronic on these cars, which is why I have not tried it before. lol

uscharalph
10-13-2005, 08:37 PM
I got a question about the CODE function since I have not tried it before for fear of messin' something up.

I don't have the stock radio headunit ... and I read in the manual that when CODE function is on, if the radio is removed, alarm goes off -- if I set mine, will it go off right away since I don't have the factory radio ? And should this function work on all e34s ?

I fear everything electronic on these cars, which is why I have not tried it before. lol
I use the CODE function every night. The car will not start until you re-enter the same code you put in previously (Into the OBC).

The anti theft radio is something else. If you disconnect the radio (Or even just a couple connections) it will start to beep. Then, you can simply insert the key and turn the ignition on. The beeping will stop. If you completely disconnect the radio or disconnect the battery, the radio code must be input into the HU before it will work

mzarifkar
10-13-2005, 09:28 PM
my problem with the code is that you have to reset it everytime, i wish it would set itself. But then probably id be complaining about how i would have to enter it everytime, lol

Speaking of security, my car has the whole system installed, but it did not come with a keyless entry, is there anyway i could still use the system without the keyless, if not howmuch would a keyless set me back?

uscharalph
10-13-2005, 11:43 PM
my problem with the code is that you have to reset it everytime, i wish it would set itself. But then probably id be complaining about how i would have to enter it everytime, lol

Speaking of security, my car has the whole system installed, but it did not come with a keyless entry, is there anyway i could still use the system without the keyless, if not howmuch would a keyless set me back?
I just set it one time a day, a small price to pay for a little more peace of mind.

Is your security alarm BMW or aftermarket?

Randell
10-14-2005, 02:41 AM
once i locked my car with the window open, the leaned in and popped the hood, and an alarm i never knew i had started going nuts! scared the crap outta me, i think the indicators were flashing too...

bizzare, cause there's no alarm on the doors

2fast
10-14-2005, 03:48 AM
My car does that too.

Paul in NZ
10-14-2005, 03:52 AM
there is no alarm on the doors cos the alarm is also set by double locking the car and of course you cant open the doors until you unlock(and turn off) the alarm(or anti theif sytem as it is called in the manual)I have never heard the alarm ...

uscharalph
10-14-2005, 02:25 PM
there is no alarm on the doors cos the alarm is also set by double locking the car and of course you cant open the doors until you unlock(and turn off) the alarm(or anti theif sytem as it is called in the manual)I have never heard the alarm ...
I'ts very loud.

mzarifkar
10-14-2005, 03:10 PM
BMW

I just set it one time a day, a small price to pay for a little more peace of mind.

Is your security alarm BMW or aftermarket?

mzarifkar
10-14-2005, 03:13 PM
the thing is i live on a college campus, my roommate is pretty bad about locking doors, the keys to my car are in the room (hidden) and i have the only BMW on campus, the keys come with a huge BMW keychain, lol. thats why i do the CODE, but i would like to utilize the BMW security system too

uscharalph
10-17-2005, 11:50 PM
BMW
Did you try and see what's available for your car on www.realoem.com as a starting point?

stx133
10-18-2005, 12:08 AM
read my post on locked in, there are a few other 'security' features that can catch out the unwary