PDA

View Full Version : Shogun reset horror story

Alexlind123
10-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Ok, not really a horror story but i was frightened nonetheless. Those of you who read every thread and every post should know that i removed my instument cluster in an attempt to repair the sporadically functioning speedometer and stuck fuel sender. It did neither. In the process of removing the instrument cluster, the "shogun reset" procedure was unavoidably completed. This morning, when i drove my car to school, the dreaded CEL blinked about three times on the way out of my driveway. Once i got to the main road however, the CEL stayed off and has remained so throughout the course of the day. I did not notice any positive results from the reset procedure at all, in fact the overall result was negative seeing as how the cel alarmed me. Perhaps it requires more driving time to fully readjust, but so far, nothing...

SharkmanBMW
10-13-2005, 04:50 PM
Perhaps it requires more driving time to fully readjust, but so far, nothing...

what were you expecting??

tim
10-13-2005, 04:54 PM
So you removed the cluster, and you have a light now...and you think it was shogun's procedure!?! After taking my friend's out, it's a marvel anything came back on when we reinstalled...and reinstalled ;)

I'm not trying to bust balls. It could be anything. When you hear hoofbeats, don't think zebras. Did you stomp it yet? When you did the reset, the key was in the ignition on #2 right?

PS, this thread title is misleading, and kinda grandstands at Shogun's expense.

Kalevera
10-13-2005, 06:25 PM
what were you expecting??
Ditto.

best, whit

632 Regal
10-13-2005, 06:37 PM
now that the cel light works you can do a stomp test to see what codes its throwing...not a bad deal at all.

uscharalph
10-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Ok, not really a horror story but i was frightened nonetheless. Those of you who read every thread and every post should know that i removed my instument cluster in an attempt to repair the sporadically functioning speedometer and stuck fuel sender. It did neither. In the process of removing the instrument cluster, the "shogun reset" procedure was unavoidably completed. This morning, when i drove my car to school, the dreaded CEL blinked about three times on the way out of my driveway. Once i got to the main road however, the CEL stayed off and has remained so throughout the course of the day. I did not notice any positive results from the reset procedure at all, in fact the overall result was negative seeing as how the cel alarmed me. Perhaps it requires more driving time to fully readjust, but so far, nothing...
It sounds more like you were freaked out by the now working light, than anything else.

Alexlind123
10-13-2005, 08:15 PM
Some clarification is needed. The check engine light has always worked. The check engine light has not come on again while the engine is running since this morning. I thought that it could possibly be because the engine was still in the early stages of "learning" new ignition or something, as it stopped before i got out of my driveway (if you had read my post).

632 Regal
10-13-2005, 08:23 PM
can you try doing a stomp test to see what the most recent trigger was after the reset? You have to start somewhere.

shogun
10-13-2005, 08:50 PM
I was worried reading the headline. :(
The reset is basically nothing special. Every shop makes it, we make it sometimes without knowing it by disconnecting the battery for car winter storage or a repairs on the car.
All that is a reset.
If you do not notice any change, then there was nothing wrong on the engine management.
Do not expect to have suddenly 300 HP more or things like that ;)
It also will not cure mechanical problems on the car.
It is just like 'cleaning' your PC and make all the programs to original state.

How long did you disconnect the battery?
How long did you drive after the reset?
Is your battery voltage o.k.?
Did you disconnect the battery correct, did you connect the battery the correct way? You know first comes... when disconnecting etc....

And what does the stomp test say?

SharkmanBMW
10-13-2005, 09:24 PM
When you did the reset, the key was in the ignition on #2 right?

PS, this thread title is misleading, and kinda grandstands at Shogun's expense.

Was the key on?

maybe you need to drive it like you stole it, so it "learns" that type of driving and stores it.
Is that how "adaptive" works???

Alexlind123
10-13-2005, 10:46 PM
Ok, i just did the stomp test. I got the code 1222. Apparently this means a vacuum leak, a bad AFM or a bad O2 sensor. When i was writing on a piece of paper while dooing the stomp test i wrote down "11222 11222" and it started repeating. Since the codes only have 4 digits im assuming the extra one is always there. Where do you reccomend starting? searching blindly for obvious vacuum leaks?

tim
10-14-2005, 07:20 AM
I think Sharkman hit it on the head. It hasn't adapted yet. I bet it needs to go all the way through the throttle range so it can set the lambda for the fuel map. Get out there and burn some rubber for awhile and tell us what happens. Might as well do the reset one more time b4. Make sure the key is in pos. 2 this time.

Alexlind123
10-14-2005, 08:15 AM
Ill see what that does, tim. I got it near 6k rpm yesterday only once whle entering the freeway. It didnt seem to have quite as much power...anyways, ill post another update when i get back from school.

SRR2
10-14-2005, 08:17 AM
FWIW, every year when the weather first turned colder -- like on the first two or three days with frost -- my 535 would flicker the CEL occasionally a minute or two after startup. Never knew why, never did a stomp test since the light always went out. I always chalked it up to the ECU doing some realtime readaptation.

Alexlind123
10-14-2005, 08:27 AM
FWIW, every year when the weather first turned colder -- like on the first two or three days with frost -- my 535 would flicker the CEL occasionally a minute or two after startup. Never knew why, never did a stomp test since the light always went out. I always chalked it up to the ECU doing some realtime readaptation.

I would have suspected that the cold weather had something to do with it, but i was parked in the garage that night, so my car wasnt very cold; and other nights when i have parked outside in the cold it hasnt done this.

Robin-535im
10-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Ill see what that does, tim. I got it near 6k rpm yesterday only once whle entering the freeway. It didnt seem to have quite as much power...anyways, ill post another update when i get back from school.

Key is to drive at MID-throttle, the ECU doesn't "learn" while at WOT, it just applies the learned map + 10% more fuel to attempt to place the engine at the maximum power a/f ratio, something like 12-13%. Drive like a mid-throttle maniac... and hit ALL the RPM / load combination points since the map points are not correlated to each other.

HTH

- Robin

JD525IA
10-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Gives me the whilly's!! No, wait, it's just gas.

uscharalph
10-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Gives me the whilly's!! No, wait, it's just gas.
LOL!!

Alexlind123
10-14-2005, 05:45 PM
Well, i drove it again today (of course) and the little CEL quirk seems to have cleared itself up. The dreaded light has retreated into its hole like a groundhog after seeing his shadow. Also, the car definitely shifted more smoothly today than before. Before,(although quite smooth already) the shift between 1st and 2nd was slightly noticable and this shift from 2nd to third very smoothly. Now it shifts like butter through every gear, up and down. Also, after the incident yesterday morning, the car seems to run smoother. Anyways, i think it has worked out its quirks and relearned itself.