PDA

View Full Version : overheating problems 89 525i

cal
03-03-2004, 09:33 PM
I put in a thermometer and bled the radiator and thermostat but the car is still overheating. It takes forever for the temperature guage to get to the halfway mark. When it does it eventually goes into the red. Any ideas?

///M Power
03-03-2004, 09:48 PM
cHECK ALL YOUR HOSES.

mY FAN WAS SLICING INTO ONE OF MY HOSES ADN I COULDNT EVEN SEE IT, SMALL HOLE.....dEFINETELY FIRST THING TO CHECK.

Unregistered
03-03-2004, 09:51 PM
I am new to car repair. How can I tell if a hole is in the hoses.

cHECK ALL YOUR HOSES.

mY FAN WAS SLICING INTO ONE OF MY HOSES ADN I COULDNT EVEN SEE IT, SMALL HOLE.....dEFINETELY FIRST THING TO CHECK.

Scott E
03-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Best bet it to goto Bruno's site and read up on it.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/overheating.htm

Bruno
03-04-2004, 08:33 AM
I put in a thermometer and bled the radiator and thermostat but the car is still overheating. It takes forever for the temperature guage to get to the halfway mark. When it does it eventually goes into the red. Any ideas?

The 525i is hard to bleed... You need to follow the procedure in BMWE34.net.
Meaning blowing with your mouth in the radiator filling neck and bleeding the thermostat housing bleed screw then the radiator bleed screw.

Ok, you need to find why the car overheats... Could be many things.

Tell us if it overheats at idle or any other time

Unregistered
03-04-2004, 09:38 PM
If the radiator is clogged will it possibly cause this problem. The coolant doesn't get hot in the radiator when the car overheats.

The 525i is hard to bleed... You need to follow the procedure in BMWE34.net.
Meaning blowing with your mouth in the radiator filling neck and bleeding the thermostat housing bleed screw then the radiator bleed screw.

Ok, you need to find why the car overheats... Could be many things.

Tell us if it overheats at idle or any other time

Bruno
03-04-2004, 09:42 PM
Could be the radiator or the thermostat. I will start by changing the thermostat (cheaper) then BLEED the circuit. follow the instructions I gave you.