PDA

View Full Version : What 540 engine modifications are out there

dbals
10-13-2005, 11:44 AM
Other than supercharging or turboing......do we have any board members that have 540's that have modified engines.....like headers, intake port/polish, throttle body, bottom end, extensive software programming. I guess it doesnt even have to be a 540....I know their has to be somebody thats gone crazy, I would just like to see whats been done or what can be done.

632 Regal
10-13-2005, 12:30 PM
not too much has been done here besides a performance chip. The V8s come with factory double wall exhaust and the stock cams dont start pulling to around 3500 rpms so they are a little on the high rpm side already. The 540 has 10:1 compression and the 530 has 10.5:1.

probably not much help huh?

GAM
10-13-2005, 01:13 PM
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/Recipe.htm

Other than supercharging or turboing......do we have any board members that have 540's that have modified engines.....like headers, intake port/polish, throttle body, bottom end, extensive software programming. I guess it doesnt even have to be a 540....I know their has to be somebody thats gone crazy, I would just like to see whats been done or what can be done.

632 Regal
10-13-2005, 02:15 PM
none of that applies to a V8 besides the chip.

The V8 intakes are already port matched and there isnt much to port in the heads either...looked all into this a while back.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/Recipe.htm

sdwhitney
10-13-2005, 02:54 PM
There are also underdrive pulleys. Not many find them a huge performance though, maybe a little.

Some are trying the plasma coils, but same as the pulleys, no HP has been shown in a dyno.

Headers are like finding a needle in a haystack, but there are shops that will make them for you, for about 3K +.

Engine Chip is really where you will find a decent upgrade.

CAI and Exhaust are purely for sound.

A diff swap doesn't give you HP, but will get your 0-60 better.

These aren't Honda's or Chevy's. BMW builds them well in the first place.