PDA

View Full Version : strong Fuel Smell in car

jmr898
10-13-2005, 07:42 AM
I have a 1995 525i that went through emmissions about a month ago and passed with Flying colors. have only driven about 300 miles since then but today I started up the car and we went about 2 miles and felt so sick of the smell, ( kinda smelled like gas/ engine brite cleaner) ( haven't used engine britein abaout 6 months) I had a leak right by the fuel rail before but it was fixed. I turned on the heat, but can't tell if it's mainly because the heat was turned on , because by the time I got home and was checking around i had the smell stuck on me so i couldn't tell, plus it started to rain so saw no actually drips, I don't see any fuel line in the engine bay that is leaking. anyone have the same problem?

Mas (UK)
10-13-2005, 08:08 AM
to find where the leak is comig from. My sister's honda accord had the same problem and I only managed to see where the problem was with the engine running - then it was p*ssing out from the fuel rail area. It turned out to be the rubber o-rings around the injectors which had degraded. The best advise I can give at the moment is have the engine running and follow your nose!

Good luck,

Mas

bahnstormer
10-13-2005, 09:16 AM
my gas tank used to leak...
yup just like tucan sam, follow your nose!

632 Regal
10-13-2005, 10:13 AM
maybe the fuel rail hose is a bit dry and cracked on you.

uscharalph
10-13-2005, 10:33 AM
I have a 1995 525i that went through emmissions about a month ago and passed with Flying colors. have only driven about 300 miles since then but today I started up the car and we went about 2 miles and felt so sick of the smell, ( kinda smelled like gas/ engine brite cleaner) ( haven't used engine britein abaout 6 months) I had a leak right by the fuel rail before but it was fixed. I turned on the heat, but can't tell if it's mainly because the heat was turned on , because by the time I got home and was checking around i had the smell stuck on me so i couldn't tell, plus it started to rain so saw no actually drips, I don't see any fuel line in the engine bay that is leaking. anyone have the same problem?
Good luck, I hope you find it.

helm
10-13-2005, 10:49 AM
Good luck.
Helm

BobHarris
10-14-2005, 06:16 PM
My old 518 had a strong petrol smell, which turned out to be the rubber seal on the top of the fuel tank where the pump is.

HTH

Bob