PDA

View Full Version : Sticky driver's door lock

ElNormo
10-12-2005, 07:55 AM
This weekend, we had a pretty torrential downpour here on the east coast. After that, inserting and turning my key on the driver's door feels "sticky". Although the lock functions, it feels like it's gummed up on the inside.

The other locks work as expected, and the little metal tab that closes the lock appears to be working correctly. I've tried soaking the key in WD-40 and attempting to clean out the lock. It may have helped a little, but not much.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any pointers?

Thanks,

Norman

Torque
10-12-2005, 11:15 AM
I've always lubed mine up with PB Blaster, and it worked great. Try that -- maybe WD40 doesn't have the lubricating powers needed for our locks. lol

Rus
10-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Usually it is recommended that silicon or graphite spray be used on locks. WD-40 may displace the moisture, but it won't have adequate lubricating properties. PB Blaster may damage plastic parts within the mechanism. Your best bet is to use a lubricant that retains its lubricating properties after it dries up, like silicone or graphite. Hope this helps.

JAlfredPrufrock
10-12-2005, 03:22 PM
Usually it is recommended that silicon or graphite spray be used on locks. WD-40 may displace the moisture, but it won't have adequate lubricating properties. PB Blaster may damage plastic parts within the mechanism. Your best bet is to use a lubricant that retains its lubricating properties after it dries up, like silicone or graphite. Hope this helps.

Agreed, I have heard many times specifically not to use something like PB Blaster or WD40 as it will make things worse.

Torque
10-12-2005, 04:36 PM
I have used it many times and it never made anything worse. Maybe in the long run it might, but it's not like you're going to spray a bottle in every week for the next year.

uscharalph
10-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Yeah, but there's something made just for door locks right?

632 Regal
10-12-2005, 05:38 PM
yes, you can get "graphite" in a can...spray it in and go.

Yeah, but there's something made just for door locks right?