PDA

View Full Version : Quick: Adjustment of koni on back

Anton CH.
10-11-2005, 09:01 PM
How do you adjust them? Are you supposed to rotate something?

liquidtiger720
10-11-2005, 09:10 PM
How do you adjust them? Are you supposed to rotate something?

you have to take the whole assembly out, push down on the shock tube until it engages or is in contact with whatever, and turn.

Anton CH.
10-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Thanks, I'll try it.

Lee in Ottawa
10-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks, I'll try it.
It says not to but i went ahead and put mine in a vise. Only way i could get it to work

Maximabello
10-11-2005, 10:28 PM
http://www.koni-na.com/adjustment.cfm

The second set of instructions I think.

GS535i
10-12-2005, 07:41 PM
The internally adjustable foot valve in many Konis ( rebound only) can be reset in the installed position ... provided you have a sufficiently long allan key, and access to push the piston rod down to the valve.
The top piston rod nut is removed, and with the full weight of the car still on the spring, there are no safety issues. Push the rod down and adjust. This works on all four corners of a 928, will do the front of an E34 ... but I don't know if there is enough room for a long key in the rear ( Bilsteins on my E34).
Worth taking a look ...

Anton CH.
10-12-2005, 08:12 PM
I got it figured out. As per Josh's instructions.

GS535i: Interesting trick! I'll keep it mind in case I ever need to adjust them. I have them set one full turn from full soft and it feels good so far.

Maximabello
10-13-2005, 10:15 AM
I have them set one full turn from full soft and it feels good so far.

Did you notice much difference from full soft? less roll maybe?

Anton CH.
10-13-2005, 11:54 AM
No, you need damper adjustment to control roll. By adjusting the rebound I noticed that the body follows the road a lot meaning that camber will stay relativly fixed. It does take a toll on the ride (you will feel irregelarities in roads you never felt before).

Maximabello
10-13-2005, 12:21 PM
No, you need damper adjustment to control roll. By adjusting the rebound I noticed that the body follows the road a lot meaning that camber will stay relativly fixed. It does take a toll on the ride (you will feel irregelarities in roads you never felt before).

Ok, thanks! Looks like I will be shopping for sways.

GS535i
10-13-2005, 05:38 PM
As rebound rate primarily deals with unsprung mass ( compression being the reverse, managing the cars mass), it is quite possible to dial too much in .... which effectively ratchets the suspension height downwards in fast, bumpy stuff: there is insufficient time to recover from the previous compression.
You can 'see' this on a gas charged Koni by comparing the extension rate of the piston rod as the rebound valve is varied ...

Anton CH.
10-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Don't forget that you are going to have springs installed to help the shock expand. It said that Koni's were designed for stock springs in mind as well as pefromance. H&R are supposed to be 15% stiffer than stock so it's probably a good idea to stiffen it up just a little bit.