PDA

View Full Version : Airbags; Do I have two?

tony2beemers
10-11-2005, 11:59 AM
Hi all,
As you all know, here in the UK the drivers side is on the right. Above the glove box on the front seat passenger side, the words SAS AIRBAG are impressed into the shelf inside a rectangular shaped moulding (for want of a better way of expressing it). I have always wondered if this means that the front passenger side has an airbag? I cannot see anything similar on my side of the car.
If it's just to indicate that the auto is fitted with a single airbag it seems odd to put the information on the passenger side.
If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate your knowledge,
Thanks all.
Tony (UK).

infinity5
10-11-2005, 12:46 PM
I think SRS AIRBAG on a large square in front of the passagners face couldn't possily be an airbag. Its absolutely not.

So your steeringwheel doesn't have an airbag? are you positive? if it has a large square block in the center then, nope, no air bag. but if there isn't anything there, just a joint where the wheel spokes meet, then you probably have an air bag :)

uscharalph
10-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Hi all,
As you all know, here in the UK the drivers side is on the right. Above the glove box on the front seat passenger side, the words SAS AIRBAG are impressed into the shelf inside a rectangular shaped moulding (for want of a better way of expressing it). I have always wondered if this means that the front passenger side has an airbag? I cannot see anything similar on my side of the car.
If it's just to indicate that the auto is fitted with a single airbag it seems odd to put the information on the passenger side.
If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate your knowledge,
Thanks all.
Tony (UK).
What year and model of BMW do you have? Pictures of your steering wheel and dash?

Zeuk in Oz
10-11-2005, 07:26 PM
It certainly sounds like you do.
Usually on the drivers airbag there is just a discreet SRS on the middle of the steering wheel.
What year and model is it ?

tony2beemers
10-12-2005, 03:14 PM
Hi guys,
The auto is a 520SE E34, First registered (UK) 1st August 1994. I have taken some pics but I am having problems reducing them in size to upload them.
I'm not exactly a wizard with computers but I'm sure one of my five grandkids will show me how to do it.
I should say that in addition to having Airbag marked on top of the dash (front passenger seat) there is a clear marking on the steering wheel which says airbag.
So it does look as if there are two. When I bought it, it was advertised as just 'airbag.' It also looks as if I was'nt being selfish these past near five years and the wife has been sitting in the auto with the protection of an airbag also.
I'm going to have another try at uploading pics if they don't show up just consider me another daft Brit.
Thanks for those who responded and to the guy from Oz you gave us a great game of cricket this summer hurry back soon.
Regards, Tony (UK)

Interceptor
10-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Hi guys,
The auto is a 520SE E34, First registered (UK) 1st August 1994. I have taken some pics but I am having problems reducing them in size to upload them.
I'm not exactly a wizard with computers but I'm sure one of my five grandkids will show me how to do it.
I should say that in addition to having Airbag marked on top of the dash (front passenger seat) there is a clear marking on the steering wheel which says airbag.
So it does look as if there are two. When I bought it, it was advertised as just 'airbag.' It also looks as if I was'nt being selfish these past near five years and the wife has been sitting in the auto with the protection of an airbag also.
I'm going to have another try at uploading pics if they don't show up just consider me another daft Brit.
Thanks for those who responded and to the guy from Oz you gave us a great game of cricket this summer hurry back soon.
Regards, Tony (UK)
According to the picture you DO HAVE a passanger side airbag. Otherwise, you would have a compartment, like me:

http://free-st.t-com.hr/interceptor/bmw/p5010038.jpg

JAlfredPrufrock
10-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Yeah that's an airbag, most auto manufacturers label their airbag units.

If you'll notice it should also say "SRS Airbag" on your steering wheel, that indicates there is another SRS airbag inside your steering wheel.

On the newer cars, say an E46 3 series or something with side impact, if you look closely at the door you can see "Airbag" indicating where the side impact airbag unit is... also on the newer cars with head curtain airbags you should see "Airbag" on the A pillars.

romus
10-12-2005, 04:51 PM
...or me, interceptor :) Yep, Tony, you got it.