PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Engine Start?

BM-BOY
10-11-2005, 03:38 AM
I was having a discussion with someone the other day, and they seemed to think that the 5 series has a cold weather function where if the temperature falls below -1c(or something), the engine automatically starts...

I find this hard to believe, especially since I have a manual, so if I were to leave it in gear, i might one day see it driving itself off up the road!!

I recon he was probably thinking about an e39 or later??

Torque
10-11-2005, 03:41 AM
No BMW that I know of has that. Don't you think that would be a little un-economical feature ? What if I'm not gonna drive for 3 days and it's cold and it starts itself and runs during that time ? Also, that would be a heaven for a thief.

Dan in NZ
10-11-2005, 06:23 AM
Your friend is talking smack.

Could be confused with a remote starter. Aftermarket accessory some people use to start their car and warm it up, without leaving the comfort of their home... Somewhat useful in severely cold climates, but mostly used by people that think they're cool when they start their car from 10m away.

I'd by mighty pissed if I got in my car one day, and it had started itself the night before and drained the tank idling for the past 12 hours.

Nick.Hay
10-11-2005, 06:34 AM
I always thought the remote start you can get on some alarm systems would be cool... Especially if you wired it into the parklights, so when you start the car from metres away, the lights come on too!!

Thats gotta be worth SERIOUS 'chick-magnet' points...

Plus not to mention the practical side of warming the car up before you drive it!!

BM-BOY
10-11-2005, 06:42 AM
I'd by mighty pissed if I got in my car one day, and it had started itself the night before and drained the tank idling for the past 12 hours.
Yeah, me too! That's kinda why I posted this, just to make sure he was talking out of his ass!!

I always thought the remote start you can get on some alarm systems would be cool... Especially if you wired it into the parklights, so when you start the car from metres away, the lights come on too!!
Next step would be to get a remote control, and a flux capacitor, and you'd pretty much have a time machine!!

DanDombrowski
10-11-2005, 07:18 AM
My temp reads -35C because I have no temp sensor, and its still turned off.....

So, explain to me why you would want to heat the car at all, much less before you get in it? (Kidding, I live in South Florida :) )

uscharalph
10-11-2005, 10:29 AM
I was having a discussion with someone the other day, and they seemed to think that the 5 series has a cold weather function where if the temperature falls below -1c(or something), the engine automatically starts...

I find this hard to believe, especially since I have a manual, so if I were to leave it in gear, i might one day see it driving itself off up the road!!

I recon he was probably thinking about an e39 or later??
No Way!

Springfield1952
10-11-2005, 10:58 AM
The remote starters seem to be a cool feature for the boy racer crowd here in NorCal. I can understand this if you live in the frozen tundra but our temps rarely dip below 40f so it's strictly for the coolness factor.

Curt.

Marshy
10-11-2005, 01:55 PM
There is/was an option in colder climes for a cabin heater which could be timed to turn on using the OBC, in much the same was as some cars can have the ventillation fan turned on.

nuwde
10-11-2005, 10:34 PM
I have a remote start. It's cool. I also used to live in Illinois :) Not only do chicks dig it, but so do guys - not that I care. Plus I have keyless entry now. My parking lights come on with it :) Worth the investment for me.