PDA

View Full Version : Hotwire vs. Tow

ChefJRD
10-10-2005, 11:05 PM
I've got a broken ignition key cylinder and can't get it out to replace it, so I'm going to have to take it in to the shop tomorrow. It'd be nice to save on the towing charge and drive it in myself, so is there any way I can bypass the ignition cylinder itself and start the engine just to get it to the shop?

I've got the key, so I can have that in the antenna ring so the RF-widget picks it up - any way I can fake the ignition in to thinking the cylinder has been turned?

If not, is there anything I should be aware of for when they tow it?

I always seem to have more questions than useful input, but this forum has been a huge help so far. Thanks.

Dash01
10-11-2005, 12:56 AM
If your car is like my '90 535i, it can be easily hotwired by unclipping the plastic ignition switch from the steering lock assy. on the left side of the steering column. Then, just turn the ig. switch with your fingernail or a screwdriver to start the car.

BUT, THIS DOES NOT NECESSARILY PREVENT THE STEERING LOCK FROM ENGAGING AND LOCKING THE STEERING WHEEL WHILE DRIVING, WHICH WOULD BE LIFE-THREATENING AND UNSPEAKABLY DANGEROUS. DON'T DO IT UNLESS THE STEERING LOCK IS ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY GUARANTEED NOT TO LOCK THE STEERING.

Your steering lock may be internally jammed by debris, and if so, this is why the ig. lock won't turn in the first place. Best to trace the source of the fault BEFORE driving the car.

uscharalph
10-11-2005, 01:01 AM
"If not, is there anything I should be aware of for when they tow it?"

They manual tells how to tow it.

Gene in NC
10-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Uncertain what broken entails. I had jamming lck cylinder. Tech assured me that it must be changed. I used Lock-ease graphited lock fluid from NAPA. With a jiggling and patience it cleared up and has been fine.

This apparently supports statement above re debris jamming the lock mech.

Dash01
10-12-2005, 01:05 AM
Having taken mine apart (and assuming yours is like mine), I'd say debris jamming the inner works in the only thing that could cause this trouble.

Anyhow, even though you have it working again, there is the potential of another (maybe worse) jam that might not be so forgiving next time. So, I'd take it apart and clean out the debris.