PDA

View Full Version : Front sway smack

smcgowan
10-10-2005, 10:55 PM
About a year ago I replaced the stock sway on the 525ia with BMA's help to 25mm front and 19mm rears.. new bushings and all. Just recently I started to hear some tapping noise.... As you can see the bushingis deforming. Both sides are the same. Besides replacing the bushings again( I purchased a pair of Energy greasable Poly's) is there anything else it could be? When new the sway was installed it was only about 1/4 inch or so away from the front member. Picture attached

Thanks

Scott

Torque
10-10-2005, 10:56 PM
Sway bar links ok ? They usually start to knock when you go over bumps if they're bad.

smcgowan
10-10-2005, 11:04 PM
The just snapped a pix and attached that also. The link looks fine and both ends.. They were new also when the sways were installed

smcgowan
10-12-2005, 10:40 AM
The answer was the bushing that deforming needs to by rotated to the 12 oclock postion, so the flange hold the bushing in so it doesn't slip out and the blacket. See attached

632 Regal
10-12-2005, 07:22 PM
makes sence to me.

genphreak
10-13-2005, 04:32 AM
makes sence to me.When installing upgraded bars, does one have to change these suckers? Does anyone have any advice on good ones? I have about 3mm more diameter with my new bars, so it will open them up a little and tighten the rubber inside the brackets.. :) Nick

smcgowan
10-13-2005, 07:03 AM
Get new bushings with the correct diameter. BMA can supply the rubber ones with the correct MM for your upgraded bar. I went with the M5 bushings you see in the picture. I purchanced new ones to replace these and I got them from Summit racing. (Energy Polys with greasable fittings $22 shipped to the house).. Let the Polyurethane debate begin.