PDA

View Full Version : ::.. Paint ALL the black trim white (body color)?

Qube
10-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Seeing that car in the middle with all the trim painted actually looks pretty good in my opinion. What do you think? Should I go for it?

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/4668/dsc006280ry.jpg

Image courteousy of ANGRYPANCAKE (he's selling BBS skirts here: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=14972)

infinity5
10-10-2005, 05:51 PM
i'll agree it looks good qube, but i think the black trim looks excellent too. the upper trim, door seal trim, grill/headlights, and lower grill all tie into one another. It depends how sleek and new-looking you want to get. I think body-color-trim is more suited to an e49 coupe or something :)

Qube
10-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Well, I have to say that all of it white starts to cross the line of too much 'bling'... esp for this style vehicle. Meh ;)

angrypancake
10-10-2005, 05:59 PM
I'll try and get you a few more pictures of that car, it looks really really good. The guy that owns it has had it for 10+ years, got it from the original owner right off the lease. One of the most pristine e-34's I've seen. It's a '90 535ia.

http://img435.imageshack.us/img435/4109/dsc006327ax.jpg

shragon
10-10-2005, 06:11 PM
i like original black moldings.

Sean H
10-10-2005, 06:17 PM
I painted the trim on my car body color, but left the door handles and the "intake" portion of the front airdam black. Here's a pic:
http://www.student.gsu.edu/~jhannay1/89535i1.jpg

Since the time this pic was taken I replaced the front bumper and used a euro plate holder (the center section of the bumper, if that makes any sense) so it looks slightly different. You can kind of get a look at it here but the pic is a bit dark:
http://www.student.gsu.edu/~jhannay1/89535i3.jpg

For the back I broke things up a bit by using a M5 plate surround. I think it prevents the rear of the car from being a solid sea of silver. Here's a glimpse of it (sorry for the wanna-be artistic pose):
http://www.student.gsu.edu/~jhannay1/89535i2.jpg

Personally I like the color-coded look, but feel there needs to be some black on the car to keep it from being TOO monochromatic. Then again, the white itself may make it too much for the car, which in that case you'll just have to sell it and get a silver one. :)

onewhippedpuppy
10-10-2005, 06:18 PM
I'll go against the grain, I like it, especially on the white. I've thought about it with my oxford green, since the PO's cheap ass paint job has overspray here and there on the trim and door handles anyway, and the black doesn't exactly look new anymore. Very much updates the look of the car.

SharkmanBMW
10-10-2005, 06:20 PM
I would use Brodee's car as a sample... it is sweet!
and your sig looks hoTT,
the black adds something to it...

Lennyz525i
10-10-2005, 06:24 PM
I like the black trim. Creates a little contrast.

Beez540
10-10-2005, 06:27 PM
I think it looks good on light colored E34's... esp. white, maybe silver... but only those.

JerseySi
10-10-2005, 06:52 PM
I think all white is too much... Need to keep at least the black trims on the bumpers, on a white car..

Having said that, Sean H's silver 535 looks very nice indeed with the bumper trims done :D

Incantation
10-10-2005, 08:31 PM
bling? are you for real? lmfao

Incantation
10-10-2005, 08:31 PM
yea because your car is black

Incantation
10-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Painting the trim looks 500% better.. all the old black etc makes the car look dated.

McWatters
10-10-2005, 10:09 PM
yea defffinately does. i will be painting all trim soon enough.

cheers

J.McWatters

onewhippedpuppy
10-10-2005, 10:14 PM
Hey Incantation, do you have any more pics of yours? I'd love to see how it looks on the green.

TheDuke
10-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Are you going to do it yourself? I tried to do it myself, but finally switched back to black, after messing up the clear coat. Just remember it's better to invest a few bucks in spray gun than using regular spray cans. Or give it to someone who has one. Trust me on this one.

Gayle
10-10-2005, 10:39 PM
I like the classic look. Mine is a 90 and I don't want to try to make it look more modern. If I wanted more modern, I would have bought more modern. But I am the first one to say to anybody, do what makes you skip.

Reading the way you phased the yes option:

"Oh heck yeah that da sexy baby!"

I think your heart leans that way so make her look the way you love her.

(I voted barf but I do like Brodee's).

Dash01
10-11-2005, 12:40 AM
Here's a thought that I've considered for trim paint: Using Monocote (a heat-shrink plastic sheeting from model airplane shops), one could coat these trim surfaces in any of a variety of colors. The color and quality of Monocoat is excellent, probably as good or better than can be achieved by spraying, and Monocoat is impervious to fuel, etc.. This way, you can see if you like the new color scheme, and if you don't, just peel off the Monocote film to restore the original color.

uscharalph
10-11-2005, 01:04 AM
Seeing that car in the middle with all the trim painted actually looks pretty good in my opinion. What do you think? Should I go for it?

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/4668/dsc006280ry.jpg

Image courteousy of ANGRYPANCAKE (he's selling BBS skirts here: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=14972)

I think t'd look pretty good on your car.

Incantation
10-11-2005, 03:34 AM
yea man.. i actually have to take some shots of my instrument rings for another guy on the forum still.. i will do them tomorrow for sure.

in the meantime i think my cardomain site might work..
http://cardomain.com/id/incantation

for some reason it goes up and down.. weird

Paul in NZ
10-11-2005, 03:41 AM
The euro sports have all the trim painted the body colur but the bumpar trim etc is still black...you cant tell on mine cos its all black...now where is genphreaks post from that meet in aussie there was a silver is there.

granit_silber
10-11-2005, 07:19 AM
It's your car.
For mine, I'll be reconditioning the black trim. I like it. I think it makes my car stand out in a sea of monochromatic cars and it highlights the beltline.
-ashley

onewhippedpuppy
10-11-2005, 07:58 AM
Here's a thought that I've considered for trim paint: Using Monocote (a heat-shrink plastic sheeting from model airplane shops), one could coat these trim surfaces in any of a variety of colors. The color and quality of Monocoat is excellent, probably as good or better than can be achieved by spraying, and Monocoat is impervious to fuel, etc.. This way, you can see if you like the new color scheme, and if you don't, just peel off the Monocote film to restore the original color.

That's actually a really good idea, might work well for a DIY shadowline as well.

brodee
10-11-2005, 08:31 AM
If you decide to paint them then I would go with euro trim first. To me that first pic looks bad with the side marker lights in the white trim.

SRR2
10-11-2005, 01:37 PM
I like the monochromatic look.

BTW, what are those small dark semicircles under the lens in the ellipsoid headlights?

uscharalph
10-11-2005, 01:47 PM
I like the monochromatic look.

BTW, what are those small dark semicircles under the lens in the ellipsoid headlights?
Those are the European ellipsoid smileys, I believe.

mikey535im
10-11-2005, 02:03 PM
The euro sports have all the trim painted the body colur but the bumpar trim etc is still black...you cant tell on mine cos its all black...now where is genphreaks post from that meet in aussie there was a silver is there.

The silver car in the picture originally posted by 'Qube' has the trim body colored, at least the front bumper trim that is.
Mike

sdwhitney
10-11-2005, 03:28 PM
I like it, but won't do it to mine.....

gsotis
10-11-2005, 03:29 PM
I like it alot, thats what I plan on doing to my car too.

SRR2
10-11-2005, 03:38 PM
Well I'm all in favor of happy Europeans. Why are they smiling?

Dan in NZ
10-11-2005, 04:19 PM
I like the look of all painted, except the rubbing strips. Having the rubbing strips black gives the car a line on the side, making it appear long and sleek... Besides, it would be pretty easy to nudge something and scrape the paint right off the rubber.

I think all white e34's should have their skirts, and lower trims front and rear, painted. Still not sure what I think of having the strip between the fog ights painted... mine is though.

Qube
10-12-2005, 06:23 PM

That's an awesome idea... though it'll be a hard time matching colors. I have some white left over from a heli job but it's too bright.