PDA

View Full Version : BMW Fan Clutch Tool

granit_silber
10-10-2005, 03:01 PM
How important is the "special" fan clutch tool to the overall experience of replacing the woter pump?

If you're wondering why I'm still talking about this, it's because I'm waiting on the seal plug for the radiator to come in. ARGH!

-ashley

Mitch90535im
10-10-2005, 03:08 PM
How important is the "special" fan clutch tool to the overall experience of replacing the woter pump?

If you're wondering why I'm still talking about this, it's because I'm waiting on the seal plug for the radiator to come in. ARGH!

-ashley

I borrowed one (for free) from Auto Zone. Wouldn't want to do it without one. I believe it was for a Ford 5.0, but someone else can verify that. Then I purchased the thin 32mm from a bicycle shop.

granit_silber
10-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Then I purchased the thin 32mm from a bicycle shop.

Do you mean a cone wrench???

-ashley

uscharalph
10-10-2005, 03:21 PM

-ashley
My brother made me one at his work. It's amazing how often that thing needs to be removed or the job's just easier with it removed.

uscharalph
10-10-2005, 03:22 PM
My brother made me one at his work. It's amazing how often that thing needs to be removed or the job's just easier with it removed.
It also fits in the tool kit in the trunk.

Mitch90535im
10-10-2005, 03:49 PM
I drew a template of the one I borrowed from Auto Zone. Just haven't got around to making the tool yet. I bet you could make one out of wood and it would work jut fine.

bfd
10-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Do you mean a cone wrench???

-ashley

If its 32mm wrench, its an old-school headset wrench like this one:

http://www.parktool.com/parktoolgear/detail.asp?cat=72&item=HCW-7OLD

Tiger
10-10-2005, 05:04 PM
Definitely alot easier with the tool.

Mitch90535im
10-10-2005, 06:07 PM
If its 32mm wrench, its an old-school headset wrench like this one:

http://www.parktool.com/parktoolgear/detail.asp?cat=72&item=HCW-7OLD

That 32mm is for the nut. The "special tool" is to hold the pulley while you loosen the nut. Remember that the nut is reverse-threaded too. Park also makes a longer version if this same wrench.