PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question about hub-centric rings

Mitch90535im
10-10-2005, 06:27 AM
How would one know if the wheels they have require hub-centric rings or not? My car came from the previous owner with after-market 16" A/T Itialia (sp) M-Contour wheels. I have no idea as to wheter there should also be hub-centric rings with these wheels or not. I'm taking the car back to the tire store where I purchased a new set of tires last week to see if they can resolve the 50-60 mph shimmy, and I wonder if maybe I had rings that were not replaced when they re-mounted the wheels.

Rigmaster
10-10-2005, 08:27 AM
if the wheels fit snugly on the center of the hub, then you do not need them- if you have to hold them up to get them to align with the lug bolt holes, then you need them.

Not saying that the wheels will "stick" to the hub, but you should notice that they are somewhat snug on the center of the hub when removing or installing the wheels. I believe they are considered hubcentric with 0.1 mm difference in size between the hub diameter and the wheel center hole diameter- so there is a bit of play.

Bret.

Mitch90535im
10-10-2005, 08:41 AM
if the wheels fit snugly on the center of the hub, then you do not need them- if you have to hold them up to get them to align with the lug bolt holes, then you need them.

Not saying that the wheels will "stick" to the hub, but you should notice that they are somewhat snug on the center of the hub when removing or installing the wheels. I believe they are considered hubcentric with 0.1 mm difference in size between the hub diameter and the wheel center hole diameter- so there is a bit of play.

Bret.

Thanks Bret.

Mine do stick to the hub with little or no play. The holes line up for the lugs perfectly so based on that I'm assuming my wheels don't require rings.

Mitch90535im
10-14-2005, 07:52 AM
Turned out to be the balancing and BTW for anyone interested A/T Itaila 16" M-Contour Replicas do indeed require hub-centric rings on an e34.