PDA

View Full Version : Brake noise

bbulk
10-09-2005, 05:32 PM
I just replaced pads and rotors on my 1989 535i. However, now when I brake (particularlyon a steep hill) I hear a sort of muted rapping sound. There is no shake or feel of any kind through the pedal or steering wheel. I redid one side just to make sure there was nothing obviously out of whack but found nothing. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Thanks and regards,

JAlfredPrufrock
10-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Are you sure that the rotor mounting bolts are firmly in and that the rotors are balanced?

632 Regal
10-09-2005, 05:59 PM
"rapping sound"

Please elaborate.

Kalevera
10-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Was an anti-rattle clip left off of one side?

Something probably wasn't set correctly -- pads, carrier bracket bolts, misadjusted park brake (if the rears were replaced) can all make noise.

Brakes are EASY. So easy they can be dangerously messed up. Anyway....

best, whit

bbulk
10-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Was an anti-rattle clip left off of one side?

Something probably wasn't set correctly -- pads, carrier bracket bolts, misadjusted park brake (if the rears were replaced) can all make noise.

Brakes are EASY. So easy they can be dangerously messed up. Anyway....

best, whit
Thanks for your thoughts. I checked all those items. Don't know how the carrier bracket bolts could be mis-set and, as to the pads, there is so little play in the carrier it seems the pads can only be inserted properly. There aren't shims associated with these pads, are there? Regards,

bbulk
10-10-2005, 12:57 PM
I have no way to check the rotor balance. They are new Brembo's. I did not over tighten the rotor set screws, because it seems the wheel lug bolts hold the rotor firmly in place. Thanks and regards,

bbulk
10-10-2005, 01:02 PM
I thought hard about the word "rapping" but couldn't come-up with a better alternative. Perhaps thumping is an alternative. It's not a clank or ding, certainly not metalic and the noise is syncronized with the speed of the vehicle, although it seems more noticeable at low speeds. Thanks and regards,

MBXB
10-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Did you mark the tires and replace them exactly as they were mounted previously?
Check your tires for balance, flat spots etc.

uscharalph
10-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Did you mark the tires and replace them exactly as they were mounted previously?
Check your tires for balance, flat spots etc.
???? I've never heard of that?