PDA

View Full Version : Electrical prob - Commun factor ?

Claude
10-09-2005, 10:17 AM
On a E34-535i-89 it happen that i got the following problems all at the same time:

1) Instrument cluster intermittent:
Start 2 months ago going either completly dead or completly OK, since then i replaced the 2 capacitors usually causing that problem but still have intermittence (now either just parts of the instrument panel go dead randomly or every things OK). I have ordered a recondition cluster back plane, i am waiting for it.

2) Heater blower intermittent on speed 1,2 and 3:
I am normaly on position #2, in that position the blower may either not work at all or work OK for a certain time (couple of minutes or an hour) and suddenly completly stop. If i then pass from #2 to #3 or #1 position they are all dead positions, but if i engage in #4 position (blower always work fine on that position) and then came back to the #3 or #2 position the blower start working again for a while before coming dead again. I have ordered a recondition sword to fixe that problem.

3) The automatic temperature regulator does not work fine:
I have the model with 2 separated dials as temperature control. The air conditionning button being in the off position, when i set the temperature dial let say to 20 deg C (canadian car) if at the starting point the temperature in the car is lower than that i feel the hot air coming out of airs outlets and the inside temperature raise than i feel that hot air stop to go in (seem to just recirculate inside air). Then when inside temperature start to drop the automatic control does not react to track and maintained the desired temp. At this point to get hot air again i must set the temperature dial a bit higher (let say 2 degre more than previously) and the same game start over until i reach almost the maximum dial calibration. Not in good position to face the coming winter ! A kick check of that one by BMW dealer say that that the inside temperature sensor OK and they can read either my temp. dials temperature settings and the internal temp. of the car. They suspect what they call the control module ?? So it could be an other electronic problem... rather strange ! For that problem i have no solution yet.

MAIN QUESTION:
Have'nt yet change the cluster nor the sword to see if the replacement parts will solve my problems #1 and #2, but at that point i really wonder if it only by hazard that those 3 problems happend at the same time OR if they may have a commun cause !

What do you think of this ? Claude

Kalevera
10-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Given the age of the car, all three fixes may be in order. Clean out the blower motor housing (accessible from the engine bay via removing the expansion tank) and clean it when replacing the "sword". My theory is that since our non microfiltered early cars can get such disgustingly clogged up boxes, the sword isn't adequately cooled and therefore blows out.

best, whit