PDA

View Full Version : uh oh. fan clutch?

liquidtiger720
10-08-2005, 06:52 PM
I was cleaning the underside of my car with some soap and water today...

basically...washed underside of car, sprayed it off with some water...drove off and heard a creak/snap kind of sound when getting off the ramps. So I drove around the block....and when I got back, opened the hood...there was no air coming from the fan. The fan was somewhat easy to stop....but the engine was still pretty cold. Do I have a problem on hand?

I was trying to clean it up to make sure I dont have any leaks in prep for a car control clinic.

Jeff N.
10-08-2005, 07:02 PM
Likely not. It should spin freely with the car cold.

Kalevera
10-08-2005, 10:27 PM
I was cleaning the underside of my car with some soap and water today...

basically...washed underside of car, sprayed it off with some water...drove off and heard a creak/snap kind of sound when getting off the ramps. So I drove around the block....and when I got back, opened the hood...there was no air coming from the fan. The fan was somewhat easy to stop....but the engine was still pretty cold. Do I have a problem on hand?

I was trying to clean it up to make sure I dont have any leaks in prep for a car control clinic.
Josh, the VC attached to the fan is activated by HEAT. When the engine's relatively cold, it's not supposed to be running. Get the car hot and open the hood, that fan will be blowing like a motherf....

best, whit

liquidtiger720
10-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Ok, i just got scared that i messed something up when washing the sucker. Thanks. :)

632 Regal
10-08-2005, 11:52 PM
what I think WHit means is the fan will still spin but wont be working hard and locked up unless it is hot infront of the clutch.

I still cant believe people stop their fans while the engine is running, I have a digit that says im not gonna trust that try and see again.

Kalevera
10-09-2005, 01:32 AM
Jeff, it's a piece of plastic lazily rotating around (when cold and Sal isn't busy jamming away on the gas pedal while you're in there). Grab it by the balls, call it a bastard, and pull!

Man, you should've seen the one that came on my new (to me) engine. Out of a 7 that had been in a wreck; 80% of the blades were cracked off and the clutch was pushed back over the 32mm nut. Slick Rick over here (me) was bright enough to CUT the belt off before realizing that it might be smarter to attempt removing the fan beforehand. Well, I got it off and sent it to the dumpster. Sucker couldn't even step; now it's in a landfill somewhere.

best, whit

632 Regal
10-09-2005, 01:47 AM
howd you get the fan loose, you have an ork tool or you use the straps?

Kalevera
10-09-2005, 01:53 AM
That's just the thing, the clutch was pushed back over the nut, so the "factory" tool wouldn't work, nor a strap wrench. I ended up using a big hammer and prybar. Then a pair of water pump pliers on the pulley to hold it while I undid the 32mm nut. Waterpump went to scrap as well.

best, whit

632 Regal
10-09-2005, 02:03 AM
LMAO...I thought you would have told me some intricate operation, not the concrete chipping hammers and the jaws of life.