PDA

View Full Version : New 525i owner with a few questions

RIPDOTCOM
10-08-2005, 07:45 AM
I picked up a 93 525i a few weeks ago and would like the following information.

1: Can i use 0w-20 oil? I use it in my other cars and it is smoother, better gas mileage, power etc...

2: I bought a Dinan Chip and installed it but a CEL came up. 1231 which denotes an overvoltage issue and i cannot understand why the chip would cause this. which brings me to #3

3: How does one clear ecu codes in an E34? Do i absolutely need a proprietary tool or is there a manual way to do it?

4: headers: Worth it or not?

5: Pixels on dash computer are going haywire then blank out, is there a way to simply disable the LCD readout?

6: I have the Blautpunk Business CD, is there a direct fit subwoofer that will fit in the center rear fold down arm rest like I see in newer 328's?

7: I am changing the oil today, can i clear the oil service meter manually>?

Bill R.
10-08-2005, 07:50 AM
you don't have tight enough clearances to run that light of an oil. Your other cars, ford, honda etc are built with the tolerances tight enough to allow using a 20w oil.

I picked up a 93 525i a few weeks ago and would like the following information.

1: Can i use 0w-20 oil? I use it in my other cars and it is smoother, better gas mileage, power etc...

2: I bought a Dinan Chip and installed it but a CEL came up. 1231 which denotes an overvoltage issue and i cannot understand why the chip would cause this. which brings me to #3

3: How does one clear ecu codes in an E34? Do i absolutely need a proprietary tool or is there a manual way to do it?

4: headers: Worth it or not?

5: Pixels on dash computer are going haywire then blank out, is there a way to simply disable the LCD readout?

6: I have the Blautpunk Business CD, is there a direct fit subwoofer that will fit in the center rear fold down arm rest like I see in newer 328's?

7: I am changing the oil today, can i clear the oil service meter manually>?

632 Regal
10-08-2005, 07:53 AM
I wouldnt, most here use Mobil 1 0w-40

7: I am changing the oil today, can i clear the oil service meter manually
yes, Brunos site has a write up on it

Kalevera
10-08-2005, 03:15 PM
2) Is it an actual Dinan chip, or one of the ebay fakes? I'm guessing it either was mislabeled or it's a knockoff. Buy an EAT chip from D'sylva Tech (check up top on the forums).

3) *Adaptations* can be cleared by disconnecting the battery and draining the capacitors (or doing a "shogun reset" -- do a search for the procedure). Fault codes that are set (ie - airbag) by certain systems need to be reset by some entity with the appropriate equipment. Find an independent with Autologic or a GT1/MoDIC variants.

on #7 -- do a search for "service interval reset"

best, whit

RIPDOTCOM
10-08-2005, 04:40 PM
The Dinan chip came in a tiny black plastic CMOS box with a Dinan Silver and black sticker on it. The chip has Dinan and serial #'s written on it and it comes with documentation from dinan, full instructions and dated 91-93 so i am pretty confident it is a real one. Seller said it came from running 525i with Vanos.