PDA

View Full Version : Ignition lock is LOCKED - help!

romus
10-08-2005, 06:01 AM
Hey guys

I've got an E34 535i 1989 and my ignition lock is locked, and key cannot be turned past position 1, so cannot turn the car on. I've stripped everything off it, indicator bits etc and now im left with the ignition lock itself on the steering column. I found the problem and want to replace the lock, but dont know how to remove it.

Nobody i asked has been able to tell me how to remove the lock off the column. I'm afraid if i attempt removal with a puller that the column might get damaged. Someone told me to use chisel to beat a screw looking button out of the back of the lock (on the instrument cluster side of the lock) but using chisel on here seems as an extremely brutal act.

Has anyone done this job before, and how? Thanks very much guys.

Regards,

Romeo

shogun
10-08-2005, 06:15 AM
No panick. You are not the only one.
read this
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=14868

romus
10-08-2005, 07:21 AM
Mine is different than this guy's though. Before it completely locked i had problems passing the position 1 for a few days, then there was no lock at all a few days after. Like, you'd turn the car off and take key out, but the steering wheel wouldnt lock.

After taking it all apart i noticed the little metal lip that locks the steering wheel cannot go back in completely because of a spring that jumped out, preventing it from going back in completely and so key from goin past the point.

so i know what my problem is/was its just i dont know how to remove the damn thing off the column so i can put the replacement. :)

But, even though im not happy im alone, it's comforting to know that i don't have the worst luck :)

Stewart E
10-08-2005, 07:24 AM
Take a gander at this pdf may help

Mine is different than this guy's though. Before it completely locked i had problems passing the position 1 for a few days, then there was no lock at all a few days after. Like, you'd turn the car off and take key out, but the steering wheel wouldnt lock.

After taking it all apart i noticed the little metal lip that locks the steering wheel cannot go back in completely because of a spring that jumped out, preventing it from going back in completely and so key from goin past the point.

so i know what my problem is/was its just i dont know how to remove the damn thing off the column so i can put the replacement. :)

But, even though im not happy im alone, it's comforting to know that i don't have the worst luck :)

Stewart E
10-08-2005, 07:27 AM
sorry her is pdf trying to do upload now

Take a gander at this pdf may help

ChefJRD
10-08-2005, 02:55 PM
I'm the other guy with a similar problem. I've removed the steering column covers and antenna ring arond the lock cylinder (see my thread (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=14868) , Lowell helped with that) but just can't get the cylinder out. I'm using the technique outlined here (http://evansweb.info/articles/2003/01/19/removing-the-ignition-lock-barrel), but the cylinder just won't budge. One problem is making sure the key has been rotated the right amount because I've found a few spots where I can slide the wire in, but don't seem to be retracting any latch.

Have you had any luck? I'd be interested to see that .pdf sent to you by Stewart E - what was it about? I may have to take it into the shop if I don't make any progress soon.....

romus
10-09-2005, 05:05 PM
hi, other guy :)

I haven't had any luck. See you want to remove the cylinder, and i wanna remove the entire thing the cylinder is housed into :) I wouldnt be able to get cylinder out coz i cant turn the key far enough (somewhere here i've seen its 60 degrees).

I will go n read through the stuff people advised you to do. I think i'll remove the whole thing together with the steering wheel extending pipe/steering column and hope the wrecker gives me the new ignition lock already mounted on another pipe, so i wont have to remove this one at all.