PDA

View Full Version : Red gauge needles -- help me decide.

Torque
10-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Should I paint them all, like this:
http://img311.imageshack.us/img311/4561/eaer1ic.jpg

or just the tach like the Z1 had:
http://img311.imageshack.us/img311/6456/redtach3ld.jpg

I appreciate any input.

Incantation
10-07-2005, 11:41 PM
why not.. something different

if painting i personally might try to match it to the interior dash colour.. the dark orange or whatever it is

angrypancake
10-07-2005, 11:43 PM
Mine are lime green. I'm changing them to red. Go for it. And for some strange reason I painted the 80mph in too.

I have to find it, but there's some website that specializes in dashboards and gauges, you can order needles that glow whatever color your dash is, or whatever color you want for that matter.

Torque
10-07-2005, 11:44 PM
why not.. something different

if painting i personally might try to match it to the interior dash colour.. the dark orange or whatever it isI saw this mod on a cardomain site of a guy with a uber-nice e46. It still glows stock orange ... and I probably wont use a sharpie like he did. I'll do transparent candy apple red paint I painted my taillights with.

Plus, I don't think orange would contrast well with black when off ... unless I coat it real thick, but then it wouldn't let light through. Hm.

Torque
10-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Mine are lime green. I'm changing them to red. Go for it. And for some strange reason I painted the 80mph in too. Got any pics ?

pyro
10-07-2005, 11:51 PM
such a good idea iv been looking for a small accent like that... mabe ill do it when i fix my tempature guage lights.

Torque
10-07-2005, 11:59 PM
such a good idea iv been looking for a small accent like that... mabe ill do it when i fix my tempature guage lights.Well, the reason I'm pulling mine out in the first place is a light out in the gas gauge. It's been out for the last 2 years, I'm getting sick of the 'dark hole' lol.

infinity5
10-08-2005, 12:04 AM
paint them blue. like the cold block on the temp gauge :)

Ok, well that doesn't match anyhting... but i like blue a lot.

the gas gauge. It's been out for the last 2 years
I did all the bulbs in the cluster at once when the lowbeam light went out. They're cheap so you might as well. I saved the old good ones to use in the OBC and stuff.

Torque
10-08-2005, 12:05 AM
paint them blue. like the cold block on the temp gauge :)

Ok, well that doesn't match anyhting... but i like blue a lot.I've thought about that too, but I have a feeling that it would glow like a awkward looking purpe or something, and I definitely wouldn't want. :D

infinity5
10-08-2005, 12:08 AM
I've thought about that too, but I have a feeling that it would glow like a awkward looking purpe or something, and I definitely wouldn't want. :D
ahaha :) good point!

Whenever you get it done post a pic with the cluster all closed up and in the dash, i'd like to see how it looks over all.

Torque
10-08-2005, 12:11 AM
I will. This is my ... spare cluster that I have apart/in the photoshopped pic. I haven't taken the 'real deal' out yet. Tomorrow.

:) I've also got another idea, but I wont say what it is. I'll try it and if it works, well ... then I'll post it for everyone.

infinity5
10-08-2005, 12:26 AM
heh! i was just assuming you were from overseas becuase you were up at nearly 4am, and then i checked out your sig.

you're up for the same reason i'm up- we're young ;)

by the way, i'd say stay away from painting just one needle.

angrypancake
10-08-2005, 12:36 AM
No rest for the wicked

rockyfeller
10-08-2005, 10:05 AM
How about red on just the rpm and speedo? Might look nice that way. You could do orange too. MB used to be that way, they look good.

iainand
10-08-2005, 01:51 PM
post a pic if you do the needles all red, i fancy doing mine, just unsure how it will look. I've also got the chrome rings round my dials

525SEI BRIT
10-08-2005, 04:00 PM
I like the single red rev-counter needle.

But what about black faded to white or red tips?! (Guess it depends how good your spraying technique is!)

or just the tach like the Z1 had:
http://img311.imageshack.us/img311/6456/redtach3ld.jpg

I appreciate any input.[/QUOTE]

Torque
10-08-2005, 04:16 PM
I painted 2 of them, then decided it wasn't gonna be illuminated enough for my taste ... so I decided not to keep it. Oh well.

I also had a major PITA putting the cluster back in ... I had 4 light bulbs burn out in 5 minutes.

Btw, in case someone didn't know, you need NOT take off the airbag and steering wheel if you don't have telescopic wheel. Take off the plastic below the wheel, then drop the steering column and the cluster can come out just fine.