PDA

View Full Version : Review: Ge Nighthawk Headlamps

Beez540
10-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Although I love just about everything about my E34 and feel that it comprises a superior construction, performance, and set of features compared to anything else I've driven... I must say I was very dissapointed with the regular headlight brightness, clarity, and throw.

So I've been looking for an affordable upgrade to the lamps for awhile.

I thought about trying some silverstars, but I've dealt with them in the past on other cars and along with being marginally better, their lifespan sucked.

I've used PIAA super whites in other vehicls with great success, but the improvement didn't quite outweigh the excessive cost.

As I've been getting the car ready for the winter season (lots of minor maintenance and weatherizing), I decided to look over the bulb selection at a dept. store while I was getting some wiper blades.

Saw the 9005 nighthawk lamps, $14.99 a piece, the most expensive option at the store, but not too shabby.

I installed ONE after it got dark so I could compare the difference in the sylvania bulb already in the car.

WOW, huge difference... it looked almost twice as bright, much whiter, crisper throw as well. I'm sure that sylvania bulb was getting pretty old, but both bulbs I removed were functional and had a very minimal amount of hazing on the bulb.

So both nighthawks were in and I took it for a drive, I could pick up so much more down the road at night, great lamps. I'm very pleased.

They're a xenon gas composition bulb wich will be a nice improvement over halogen, but they're priced like an old fancy halogen bulb.

GE's nighthawk page (http://www.ge.com/stories/en/20287.html?category=Product_Home)

so if your'e looking for some lamps... you might want to give them a try.

Sorry for the novel. :D

-B

Kalevera
10-07-2005, 07:37 PM
Try the OSRAM silverstars versus the Sylvanias.

best, whit

Beez540
10-08-2005, 04:19 AM
Since you mention it.... one of my old headlamps (pass. side)was an OSRAM, about the same output as the sylvania on the other side. The Nighthawks blew both away.

632 Regal
10-08-2005, 08:31 AM
I have been running the Wagner Bright lights for almost 2 years now, havent blew one out yet, definite improvement over stock.

Maki
10-09-2005, 12:49 AM
Try the OSRAM silverstars versus the Sylvanias.

best, whit

I've bought Osram Silverstar H4 bulbs in the past from Powerbulbs in the UK (free shipping!)...doesn't look like they sell 9005/9006 Silverstars, though. They do have 9005/9006 Philips +30 bulbs, but can't quite match $30/pr for the GE Nighthawks.

Hm... looks like the Nighthawk got a mention in the recent Roundel series on E36 lighting options... http://www.bmwcca.org/members/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Let_There_Be_E36_Light&page=2

Kalevera
10-09-2005, 01:37 AM
I've bought Osram Silverstar H4 bulbs in the past from Powerbulbs in the UK (free shipping!)...doesn't look like they sell 9005/9006 Silverstars, though. They do have 9005/9006 Philips +30 bulbs, but can't quite match $30/pr for the GE Nighthawks.

Hm... looks like the Nighthawk got a mention in the recent Roundel series on E36 lighting options... http://www.bmwcca.org/members/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Let_There_Be_E36_Light&page=2
HIRs kick some serious butt.

I need a set. And some CSRs to go along with them.

best, whit

rockyfeller
10-09-2005, 02:44 PM
I thought Osrams are Sylvanias?

genphreak
10-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Need to be careful to be specific about model numbers here... the tradidinal manufacturers make literally thousands of diferrent types- often quite a few in each fitting and power rating :)

Otherwise all the talk is just bloat.

Mobius
10-10-2005, 12:28 AM
I thought Osrams are Sylvanias?Osram and Sylvania are the same company. Their products are sold under the Sylvania name in North America. Silverstars labeled 'Osram' are the same as the Sylvania ones, except without the shitty blue tint.

I'm relatively sure they still suffer the same patheticly short lives, though.

Maki
10-10-2005, 11:40 AM
I'm relatively sure they still suffer the same patheticly short lives, though.

Osram Silverstars have held up pretty well for me so far, although the bulbs I'm using are H4 Euros. I've had them in my highway beater ('82 Mercedes 300cd with E-code lamps) for about 18 months. I drive five hours a week at night, more or less, so I'd guess they have at least 200-220 hours of use behind them. But again, they're not 9006 bulbs.