PDA

View Full Version : '94 530iT won't move - Trans code?

buckaroody
10-07-2005, 03:02 PM
I just got my first BMW six months ago, and now it seems dead (and my dream car as well). HELP!! I have a '94 530iT with 95k, it has run great then Monday morning, it just would not move. It felt like it was slipping into gear but nadda. I jacked it up and checked the trans fluid, it was full, but I replaced with top notch Mobile 1 and still Nadda. The message center reads TRANS, does this mean I need a new transmission. I am desperate and broke!

632 Regal
10-07-2005, 03:49 PM
dude! How the hell can you jack it up and check the trans fluid?

SharkmanBMW
10-07-2005, 04:06 PM

LMFAO!!!!
should be done flat, yes?!
search for trans program and you will see many posts related to this, mine was rebuilt and is great.

Kalevera
10-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Sell the bimmer and buy something more economical? They're not cheap to fix if you can't do it yourself, sorry to say.

If the car has an automatic, which it almost invariably does, it will probably need a valve body rebuild. Plastic check balls on the 5hp variants are a common problem. The issue would have probably manifested itself as a "trans program" message/no reverse situation before everything went, though....unless the driver didn't take no for an answer... Could also be a low fluid or clogged filter situation, both of which might now merit a rebuild.

best, whit

JulesE34
10-07-2005, 10:03 PM
What about a flat battery? Mine always triggers the TRANS PROGRAM warning when the Battery is pancake.

Buckaroody - are you getting a staccato tapping, like a machine gun as well? Is so then it's definately the battery - you have a drain on your electrical system somewhere.

zygoteer
10-08-2005, 03:45 AM
I jack mine up with this 2000kg model - keeps things level

JulesE34
10-08-2005, 11:20 AM

Whoa !!! Where do you get one of those ?!??!??!?!

dacoyote
10-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Whoa !!! Where do you get one of those ?!??!??!?!

AOL Mode... ME TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

zygoteer
10-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Got it from 'Machine Mart' in UK (US based company I think).
Mine is single phase electric powered, but a compressed air powered one is slightly cheaper, got it two years ago when I needed to get under my old Maserati 3500GT (no 'sane' dealers in UK at the time), so was the cheapest option really.
It is very useful for the Ferrari now, but incredibly useful for almost any car - seem to use it way too often for the E34 maybe.

buckaroody
10-09-2005, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the slam, but I put the car on jack stands so I could crawl under it and check the fluid. And, that was not easy. I know it may be smart to have a closed trans fluid system, but the germans made it tough if something goes wrong.

Any other comments?

buckaroody
10-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Did you have it done by the BMW dealer or at a BMW mechanics garage? HOw about the cost what can I expect?
Thanks

buckaroody
10-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Thanks, but I want to try to fix the thing. Yours has made it to 229k any trans problems for you??

buckaroody
10-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Thanks, no tapping the car starts great and engine runs fine, just will not move

buckaroody
10-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Thanks, where did you get the jack and how much, it looks like a good addition to the garage!

uscharalph
10-09-2005, 09:10 PM
That jack's pretty cool!!

Kalevera
10-09-2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks, but I want to try to fix the thing. Yours has made it to 229k any trans problems for you??
Actually, yes, I replaced the trans once at ~220k, then again at ~222k. It will probably need to be done again within the next year, given that an incompetent dealer tech did it last time around and the current one whines. But all of that is beside the point -- the 530 has a completely different transmission that has a different set of issues to be addressed.

Checking the fluid level and shift linkage is a good idea, but sadly, I'm doubtful that the fluid is low or the linkage is out of adjustment given the symptoms. As previously mentioned, the valve body in these transmissions contains a number of stupid design ideas, notably plastic check balls that wear over time as they operate in their races. The common symptom is the car not moving at all.

So, without even looking at the car, I'd suspect a valve body rebuild is necessary. Parts are ~ $250 wholesale cost + labor, and a fluid/filter service. So the job will probably be $1000 out the door. Alternatively, you could buy a valve body from Autosport in Michigan and install it yourself.

best, whit

Kalevera
10-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Showoff with your scissor lift ;)

Must be nice to have one of those. Not that I need one, but I couldn't own one anyway -- my garage has a wooden floor!

best, whit