PDA

View Full Version : silly question

rellik
10-07-2005, 11:33 AM
I recently purchased a 1995 525iT. The brake pedal boot between the cab and engine bay (through firewall) squeaks/groans like crazy. I've lubed the linkage, tried to lube the boot, cleaned it off, lubed it again. Anyone else have this problem and what did you do to fix it? I'm hoping that it's a common problem that has a common solution. I might try putting a very small hole in the boot just so I can spray some lube in there. Any ideas?

rps1072
10-07-2005, 01:36 PM
I have the same problem. I turned up the stereo.

Lennyz525i
10-07-2005, 02:04 PM
I have the same problem. I turned up the stereo.
lol, that's how I fix numerous noises.

Torque
10-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Wanna trade brake pedals ? I have a sqeaking gas pedal, and would like to have a complete set.

Kalevera
10-07-2005, 06:31 PM
The vacuum booster has a vent in it that is supposed to tune the sound of the air being displaced to something inaudible as the pedal is pressed. Mileage and time will clog or deform it, but I've not yet witnessed it myself. Much more common is the squeaky/worn out accelerator pedal bushings, which are easy to replace.

There's no rebuild kit for the vacuum booster; it has to be replaced as a whole unit.

best, whit

uscharalph
10-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Wanna trade brake pedals ? I have a sqeaking gas pedal, and would like to have a complete set.
My gas pedal squeaks also. The stereo always fixes it.

Torque
10-07-2005, 11:10 PM
My gas pedal squeaks also. The stereo always fixes it.Yes it does. I'm gonna lube it tomorrow.

I also gotta take out the gauge cluster, replace some bulbs and reset my service lights. I think I'm also gonna paint the gauge needles red.

rellik
10-08-2005, 12:41 AM
lol. you guys are killing me. basically just live with it if I can't get it un-clogged. next is to the stealership for the part and a weekend in the garage. at least there's beer in the garage. can anyone tell me where the vaccuum booster is :D

Kalevera
10-08-2005, 06:44 AM
lol. you guys are killing me. basically just live with it if I can't get it un-clogged. next is to the stealership for the part and a weekend in the garage. at least there's beer in the garage. can anyone tell me where the vaccuum booster is :D
Lives between the master cylinder and the firewall, secured by 4 x 13mm headed bolts + pedal linkage on the interior and 2 x 10 or 13mm, I forget which, at the master cylinder. Personally, I would live with it -- the part is a bit tricky to replace because the brake system will probably have to be pressure bled after the fact, and because the part is ex$pen$ive....and, they don't really die otherwise.

best, whit

rellik
10-09-2005, 04:58 PM
Lives between the master cylinder and the firewall, secured by 4 x 13mm headed bolts + pedal linkage on the interior and 2 x 10 or 13mm, I forget which, at the master cylinder. Personally, I would live with it -- the part is a bit tricky to replace because the brake system will probably have to be pressure bled after the fact, and because the part is ex$pen$ive....and, they don't really die otherwise.

best, whit

probably good advice. time to upgrade the stereo...

uscharalph
10-09-2005, 07:53 PM
The vacuum booster has a vent in it that is supposed to tune the sound of the air being displaced to something inaudible as the pedal is pressed. Mileage and time will clog or deform it, but I've not yet witnessed it myself. Much more common is the squeaky/worn out accelerator pedal bushings, which are easy to replace.

There's no rebuild kit for the vacuum booster; it has to be replaced as a whole unit.

best, whit
The bushings, huh.