PDA

View Full Version : How to remove brake fluid reservoir?

AZ91525ia
10-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Hi,

There is a small leak in my 91 525ia brake master cylinder. I believe the main culprit is either rubber grommets (plugs) or a crack on the bottom of the brake fluid reservoir. So, how do I remove the brake fluid reservoir? It seems I just need to pull the reservoir out the master cylinder. I just want to make sure without breaking anything.

Also, do I need to bleed the brake system after I replace rubber grommets or the reservoir?

Thanks,
Jerry

dacoyote
10-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Hi,

..... Also, do I need to bleed the brake system after I replace rubber grommets or the reservoir?

You only get once chance to find out that you got a big airbubble before you hit the stopped semi in front of you..... (ie.. I would)

-Charles

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
10-07-2005, 11:24 AM
I did mine a few years ago, thus: (all usual disclaimers etc.)

Carefully clean the area around and under the reservoir.

Leave a tiny bit of fluid inside the reservoir and place some rags under the cylinder to catch the excess fluid.

Pull up while rocking the reservoir from side to side (not front to back) - it will come out easily. No need to disconnect the clutch line (if fitted).

Be sure nothing drops into the holes. Clean the old grommets carefully and then pull them out with pliers.

Lube the new grommets with fresh DOT4 brake fluid and press in with clean fingers.

Clean the reservoir and lube the posts with fresh brake fluid. Press in firmly.

Re-fill reservoir with fresh fluid.

No need to bleed so long as you don't touch the brakes during the R&R - any air will rise as you re-fill.

AZ91525ia
10-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Anthony,

Thanks for your clear and thorough explanation. I will follow your instruction this weekend.

Jerry