PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my car from New Orleans...now A/C problem

dlee
10-07-2005, 09:46 AM
Hey, my 95 540i had been stranded in new orleans for over a month before I rescued it this weekend. It was on the third floor of a garage so it was safe and dry (thankfully), and when I got there it looked fine besides being coated in dirt. Anyways, when I first started it up, the A/C blew cold for a minute, and then it just stopped working and blew warm air at me. Took it to a mechanic and he said the compressor was drawing too much power and it kept blowing the fuse...and he wanted to replace the ENTIRE A/C system for $1800.

Anyone know why this could happen? Obviously it's not good to let your car sit for a month, but why would the A/C all of the sudden start consuming too much power? Humidity? Inactivity? If so I could probably claim it under insurance. Also, is it really necessary to replace the whole system?

The A/C was switched on for the month of inactivity, could that contribute to a leak?

Any help would be much appreciated.

David

DanDombrowski
10-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Theres a wire in the engine bay that is used to turn on the clutch. Its probably worn through and shorting out somewhere in the engine bay. Happened on my Volvo before.

Bimmerman
10-07-2005, 04:41 PM
I think i must have got lucky with my car, she OFTEN has to sit for 4 - 6 weeks out in the weather:-( due to my job in the army, but always fires right up on the 3rd or 4th crank, even after i got back from some months in iraq! no leaks, aircon blows cold, all good - unlike my previous GM sedan... gotta love these cars.

guinness
10-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Gotta agree with Bimmerman, I just got back from a few weeks at sea. I cranked her over and she started on the first try.

callen
10-08-2005, 05:15 AM
Same things happening right now in my 94....with AC on the AC light and recirc. light go on and off along with compressor.....I thought maybe there was an AC module...but will check charge today and see....can't see how AC cycling due to low charge having anything to do with lights and system going on and off intermittently as well as sometimes when I turn the system off the lights still flash on and off....love my carsssss

winfred
10-08-2005, 11:33 PM
sitting unused will not in any way mess with the ac system electricly, the compressor should draw around 5 amps usually less, possible that the fan resister craped out and the aux fan blew it's fuse, and that's why it's warm. i don't think i've ever seen a nippondenso clutch short out, usually the bearing wears out, wire breaks or the compressor dies, unlike a volvo where the clutch coil shorts out and it draws 25-30 amps