PDA

View Full Version : Which do you prefer?

genphreak
10-07-2005, 05:09 AM
Ever wondered why people buy this one or that one?
Vote for the one you like and see which is the most popular!

(Originally posted by Qube)

All thanks be to Qube for doing a great photoshop job!
I bet some schlubb steals it to sell lights on eBay at some point...

Torque
10-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Since I have a black car, best would be very dark tinted ... unfortunatelly I can't find them for very cheap anywhere ... so I just run all-reds; looks more unified than both red and white on a black car.

Torque
10-07-2005, 10:25 AM
I hope the original image poster/creator doesn't mind, but I added 4 more styles of taillights to it. I gave credit in the bottom left corner.

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/9406/e34taillight86vd.jpg

632 Regal
10-07-2005, 02:18 PM
they all need a tadgar.

Torque
10-07-2005, 02:25 PM
they all need a tadgar.Post whore. :p

dacoyote
10-07-2005, 09:12 PM
they all need a tadgar.

And a.... wait for it....

TURBONATOR.....

post whore....

Charles

JulesE34
10-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Hmmmmmmm, got to be the stock clear I'm afraid. The other just look pants IMHO.

uscharalph
10-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Hella!!!

Qube
10-07-2005, 11:12 PM
I think it's pretty clear now... :)

Cleared (std-style cleared) either Depo or Hella

632 Regal
10-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Tadgar

I think it's pretty clear now... :)

Cleared (std-style cleared) either Depo or Hella

wingman
10-07-2005, 11:33 PM
Tinted or 'smoked' lenses are illegal in NSW OZ. I like the clear lenses but will keep my orange ones for originality.

Incantation
10-07-2005, 11:39 PM
it all depends on the colour of the car and how you want to style it, really.

nuwde
10-08-2005, 09:40 AM
i like the std cleared.

dacoyote
10-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Tadgar

LAME....

Nick.Hay
10-09-2005, 02:03 AM
Me too.

The difference between Dad's 100% stock white E34, and my somewhat modded white E34 is quite stark...

My car looks about 5 years newer, just from the clear lenses. I'm quite a purist, so the E46-esque lenses look a little too 'ricey' to me (sorry to anyone who has these). However, I did see a black E34 with these lenses, and it looked great!!

632 Regal
10-09-2005, 02:11 AM
I think the dark smoked look great on the white paint, if the rest is blacked out that would look great!

genphreak
10-09-2005, 08:30 PM
I hope the original image poster/creator doesn't mind, but I added 4 more styles of taillights to it. I gave credit in the bottom left corner. Oh wow, tinted clears for sure, No 5. That's the business. Damn these cars, why are there ALWAYS complications! :) Nick
btw- Thanks Torque!

JerseySi
10-09-2005, 09:31 PM
My favourite, on a white car, would have to be no.7 - all red rears...
Plan on doing it to mine - i reckon black tints on a white body look a bit 'cheap', whereas red looks more modern...

mattyb
10-10-2005, 06:22 AM
theres a bloody good reason for that.No matter how friggin cool u reckon your car looks nothing sux more than driving behind a set of clears or smoked and u cant see when some bastard is indicating etc cause of his incredibly cool lenses. They were made friggin orange for a reason. i dont have a set of clears so correct me please if i am wrong but i would think if u get clears you need to get a coloured bulb as well and a very good one at that. seems that if this is done all is ok but i've not seen a decent set of clears yet that glow orange when they are on.

genphreak
10-10-2005, 06:58 AM
theres a bloody good reason for that.No matter how friggin cool u reckon your car looks nothing sux more than driving behind a set of clears or smoked and u cant see when some bastard is indicating etc cause of his incredibly cool lenses. They were made friggin orange for a reason. i dont have a set of clears so correct me please if i am wrong but i would think if u get clears you need to get a coloured bulb as well and a very good one at that. seems that if this is done all is ok but i've not seen a decent set of clears yet that glow orange when they are on.OnYa Matty. I can categorically attest that most clear lenses should be banned. Mine are not bad (as far as they go) but I know they are not ideal.

Once tinted (ever so slightly) darker they achieve better contrast, however black lenses are damn dangerous so one mustn't go too far. I reckon this fashion for crystal and clear lenses is downright stupidity. I've noticed that many clear lenses become UV damaged (the UV balancing additives may affect the colour/clarity and thus get missed out for decoraitve reasons), have the wrong bulbs installed or simply don't work well enough from an illuminatory point of view.

I can't believe our authorities allow it. I can't believe the Police allow it, let alone tinting (factory or home-jobs). Many times I've been behind old Toyotas, GM and Fords (and other vehicles made with crap lights) and have been unable to see the indication due to direct sunlight. It makes the reflection inside the cleared light's lens so great that that some poor egg-shell bulb blinkiing is damn invisible. Mine aren't that bad, I wouldn't say they are dangerous but there are definately times when they would be near it. I will tint the indicating section shortly to improve things some, but I wouldn't buy them again...

willobmw
10-10-2005, 07:11 AM
I voted for the clears but I just put the smoked clears on my 535i to go with my smoke clear front corners. I like them better than the clears. Problem is they are made by DEPO and the quality is a little lacking. I used the original sockets from my original Hellas and I applied Gummi Pledge to the rubber before I installed them. Probably won't help the cheap rubber but the sockets are a lot better.
Willobmw

Qube
10-10-2005, 01:07 PM
I use very bright red bulbs on the back. No blinding drivers at night yet bright enough for day. On the front, I use 'silver' amber bulbs.

romus
10-10-2005, 07:08 PM
man 3 is a no no...i know its like the face lifted e46 but the e34 (its a sin what im about to say) looks like a 90's volvo with those tail lights :). 4 is my favourite

Ted K
10-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Where can you get the standard clear Depo or Hella's?