PDA

View Full Version : It thinks the key is in ignition, won't start - HELP!!

ChefJRD
10-06-2005, 07:48 PM
After driving home and parking tonight, my '95 525i wouldn't turn off by turning the key back, nor could I get the key out of the ignition. The engine finally turned off after some fidgeting, but it took a while longer before I got the key out. But the radio and auxiliary power still didn't turn off and when I opened the door I got the "Key in Ignition" warning - what's going on???

A friend helped reset the oil timer by grounding pin 7 a few weeks ago and since then the "open door" chime speaker occasionally shorts out, but I'm not sure if these are related to the ignition problem.......

The worst problem is that I can't start the car again either. There most be something wrong with the key circuitry because there's no change in auxiliary power (it's always on) and the starter never turns no matter where the key is turned to.

Please help!!

I'm going to disconnect the battery now to see if that makes any difference........

ChefJRD
10-06-2005, 08:03 PM
I've since calmed down a bit and found some helpful threads in the archive. I think I'll try getting some graphite (pencil lead) in there to see if that helps, and maybe removing the ignition barrel.

Sorry, I should have searched the archives first, but I need my car to start!!!

632 Regal
10-06-2005, 08:20 PM
fidget with it, turn the steering wheel, push the gear selector around, fiddle

I had this prob 2 times, then I removed all extra keys off the ring and just use a single key...no probs since.

632 Regal
10-06-2005, 08:52 PM
also twist the key in the ignition while moving the steering wheel to release the safety switch.

dacoyote
10-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Or... you can be like me... and have a push button start....

:-)

ChefJRD
10-06-2005, 10:50 PM
The lock cylinder just will NOT come out! Got the wire in a little less than an inch, sprayed silicone spray, pushing real hard.

Hitching a ride to work, in search of locksmith's graphite spray......

Any other advice???

Bill R.
10-07-2005, 06:31 AM
allen wrench or wire that your using in at a slight angle, not straight in.. and it takes some force, it doesn't push easily... not a lot of force but some.http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/Ignition.jpg

The lock cylinder just will NOT come out! Got the wire in a little less than an inch, sprayed silicone spray, pushing real hard.

Hitching a ride to work, in search of locksmith's graphite spray......

Any other advice???

ChefJRD
10-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Do I need to remove this cover to extract the lock cylinder? I'm inserting the allen key at about a 20-degree angle (angled towards the center of cylinder) about an inch and pushing real hard, but it still isn't coming out. Wondering if I've removed all I need to. (there should be a picture attached....)

Assuming I eventually get the cylinder out, will I be able to start the car with a screwdriver until I get a new keyed cylinder?

Thanks again for all the help!

shogun
10-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Here are more pics
http://evansweb.info/articles/2003/01/19/removing-the-ignition-lock-barrel

dacoyote
10-07-2005, 11:27 AM

Assuming I eventually get the cylinder out, will I be able to start the car with a screwdriver until I get a new keyed cylinder?....

Yes / No... a 95 will have EWS... ie the key has a microchip, you should be able to stick the key and and then turn over the car with a screw driver, however....

You still got to deal with the steering wheel lock and if she is an auto the tranny lock.

edit:after looking it looks like they are still working correct if you can turn the part after you pull it out... not sure on that however...

Charles

Kalevera
10-07-2005, 07:28 PM
That is the antenna ring and has to be removed in order to get the cylinder out. They tend to snap or shatter on removal.

The detent is almost certainly broken (antitheft feature commonly messed up by hamfisted starting); the car will need a new lock cylinder (less than $100 at the dealer). It can be tough to remove, sometimes taking hours. We did one a few months ago that was so bad that the entire assembly had to be replaced.

best, whit

ChefJRD
10-08-2005, 03:06 PM
I'm trying to remain hopeful, but not much progress has been made...... Thanks for the tip about the antenna ring, Lowell, I got that off without breaking anything (at least that part went well!), but still haven't gotten the lock cylinder to budge.

Can someone who's done this before tell me how much resistance I should expect when inserting the wire? There are two positions at roughly 60- and 65-degrees that I can slide the wire in rather deep. At 60 it slides real easy, there's more resistance at 65, but in between those two I can't push it in at all. Does that make any sense?

Also, the wheel is locked - does that help define the situation any more?

Today's redeeming quality is that my girlfriend brought over a donut for me this morning, knowing I couldn't drive to get my favorite weekend snack on my own :D

ChefJRD
10-08-2005, 03:09 PM
AND I can't get rid of the PPPP code when I reconnect the battery.....

romus
10-09-2005, 05:16 PM
what is that PPPP code anyway?? I always have it on OBC when reconnecting the battery.

uscharalph
10-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Or... you can be like me... and have a push button start....

:-)
That's not going to do him much good now.

uscharalph
10-09-2005, 07:51 PM
what is that PPPP code anyway?? I always have it on OBC when reconnecting the battery.
Just need to set the clock and date.

romus
10-11-2005, 09:42 PM
hey just a thought - are u using the master key when u do the 60 degree turn before u stick the wire in???