PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone replaced a PS pump?

TWKenny (formerly Ted)
03-03-2004, 10:56 AM
My PS seems to be making a weird, intermittent noise. In checking belts and pulleys I discovered that my water pump seems to be on it's way out, considering the wiggle in the shaft.
A guy had a pretty new used one I got for next to nothing, and as I was leaving with it a BMW tech picking up parts said he
s never seen a PS pump go bad on a 530. Any comments about that?

jplacson
03-03-2004, 11:06 AM
PS...as in power steering pump? Mine went bad a week after I bought my 520i. (Oh man, try driving an E34 with no power steering AT ALL, and 225/45 R18 tires!!!! It felt like I was pulling a truck!) The shaft broke and you could see about 1.5" of it already. Well, considering I bought a 15 year old car... not bad. I hope my new part will last that long as well. :) It was a simple job... lift, unbolt, replace leaking PS hose, bolt on new part, fluid, bleed... done. :) Whole thing took about 3 hours in the shop.

Martin in Bellevue
03-03-2004, 11:57 AM
My PS seems to be making a weird, intermittent noise. In checking belts and pulleys I discovered that my water pump seems to be on it's way out, considering the wiggle in the shaft.
A guy had a pretty new used one I got for next to nothing, and as I was leaving with it a BMW tech picking up parts said he

Erick & I have both had good luck replacing the seals. It isn't a bad job.

Rory
03-03-2004, 04:27 PM
Pumps rarely fail on BMW's. Ironically enough the PS pump on my wife's old E36 blew a couple years ago. I ended up getting a used on from Vines BMW in Alabama, final cost was around $50 I believe. A lot cheaper than a new or aftermarket pump. I am not sure how it compares to the rebuild kit but I guarantee the replacement is easier to do :)

Good Luck,
Rory

TWKenny (formerly Ted)
03-04-2004, 10:25 AM
I got one from David at Vines too...I was just there Tuesday. I'm not sure if it's the pump or not, but I have to replace the water pump, so I figure I'll swap the PS pump too and see what happens.