PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with an E34 Touring here?

SLEX Runner
10-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Hi guys!

Am a bit overwhelmed right now.

My auction (agent) friend from the UAE just confirmed today that I am a proud owner of a 95 540i Touring. I never expected to win it (from these on-line auctions in Japan) but apparently I did.

For the gentlemen who own both the Touring model and models with the M60, can you give me a heads-up on what's to expect? The fear of the unknown is so strong right now.

The car has 110,000km or about 70k miles.

It's likely to be loaded out of Yokohama in 2 weeks time, and then its a 29 day wait.

Would appreciate your lengthy inputs about this model.

Thank you for looking and sharing your thoughts.

Boost Infection
10-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Looking good here is mine

http://bimmerboard.com/members/impression/original/ebay%20085%20sm.JPG
http://bimmerboard.com/members/impression/original/ebay%20086%20sm.JPG
http://bimmerboard.com/members/impression/original/ebay%20087%20sm.JPG

infinity5
10-06-2005, 12:48 PM
are you aware of the Nikasil issue in the V-8s? I suppose it wouldn't be a problem in japan, but where are you importing it to?

integrale
10-06-2005, 02:17 PM
are you aware of the Nikasil issue in the V-8s? I suppose it wouldn't be a problem in japan, but where are you importing it to?

This isn't a problem with the 535i - they have the big six M30. Info here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M30#M30B35)

That's remarkably low mileage for a 15 year-old car, good find!

Edit: oops, looked at his sig, not the car in his message. You're right!

Springfield1952
10-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Is the car from Japan? Their cars would be right hand drive but the photos you posted show a left hand drive car. In any case, it's a nice looking set of wheels.

emw525E34
10-06-2005, 05:08 PM
I got one of the same colour but a 525i manual. No mtech front chin like in your picture , neither do I have 18 inch rims but m-parallel style37 replicas in 17 inch form.

For the V8, if this car has an auto tranny, thats the weakest point. So take a good look at it and start CHANGING ALL your fluids immediately before you take a long drive. UAE is a real hot place and climate in Yokohama is certainly very different. Actually change the microfilter as well and ALL filters in the car (fuel filter, air filter, oil filter).

Good luck.
PS: Tranny repair are costly. I have seen two of these that frequent the workshops here and its almost always the tranny!.

Alexlind123
10-06-2005, 05:20 PM
You came to the right place to ask your questions. Welcome!

Gooch
10-06-2005, 05:38 PM
I thought they didn't start importing them to the states until 97.

Gayle
10-06-2005, 05:42 PM
grave77 (Barrie) and his brother MPower are in Dubai. You could have a regional meet when you get your car :)

shogun
10-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Some info.
Nikasil/Alusil was never a subject in Japan. But with that engine it does not matter.

110.000 km is normal for Japan for a 1995 car, even maybe on the high range. Standard average in Japan is 7.500 km.
My 1988 750 has now 126.000 km, ny Highline from 1990 has 130K km, the other Highline from 1991 I bought has 180K km.

There are RHD and LHD cars available in Japan.
There are certain special designs on Japanese cars.
For example:
your cat will have a special temperature sensor at the rear of the cat. That means it has a special cat design for Japan. But this temp sensor is not connected to the DME. If you have to replace the cat, just buy a normal one and do not connect this sensor. Works w/o problem. See on the 7 board here, where I once showed some pics on a 750.
When you set the ignition in position 2, you will get some messages on the CCM, such as owners book, catalysator, a bong etc.
Do not worry.
That is just the test run if everything works.
The LKM might be different from the ECE way. I just have disassembled one LKM-L J. J stands for Japan. It has one relay less than the ECE version, as the jap. cars do not have rear fog lights. Consequently your fog light switch only has one step instead of 2 steps in the ECE version.
Some other pins are not connected inside the LKM-L-J compared to the LKM-L ECE version.
The econometer - if that car has one- and the OBC will show xxx km per 1 liter of fuel, not the way as used in Europe: xx Liter per 100 km.

And a lot of other things, but minor and you will not recognize it if you do not know the differences in detail.
Usually the cars in Japan are well serviced. So I assume no problem.

Just out of interest: how much did you pay for the car. Maybe I can check this evening if I can find a similar car here on the japanese auction house.
Yokohama is a major town for export auctions and Kobe port.

Edit: forgot to tell you that the FM radio in Japan has a different frequency.
It has Japanese FM frequenciesl. It stops at 89.9 on the FM dial.
If you replace it, send it to me, I can use it here.

SLEX Runner
10-06-2005, 09:44 PM

Infinity5,

Thank you for the reminder. The car is to be shipped here in the Middle East where fuel is usually PREMIUM, and not unleaded. I have asked around and the sulfur content seems to be ok.

Thank you for reminding
:)

SLEX Runner
10-06-2005, 09:47 PM
For the V8, if this car has an auto tranny, thats the weakest point. So take a good look at it and start CHANGING ALL your fluids immediately before you take a long drive. UAE is a real hot place and climate in Yokohama is certainly very different. Actually change the microfilter as well and ALL filters in the car (fuel filter, air filter, oil filter).

Good luck.
PS: Tranny repair are costly. I have seen two of these that frequent the workshops here and its almost always the tranny!.

emw525E34,

Thank you for your post. Any tell-tale signs that the tranny may be nearing the end of the life cycle?

SLEX Runner
10-06-2005, 09:53 PM
I thought they didn't start importing them to the states until 97.

Hi Gooch!

I sourced this unit in Japan.

I am a resident of Bahrain on weekends and work in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Rather than take the 40minute air-shuttle, I choose to drive 400km between borders. Fuel is USD$1.00 a gallon here so the e34 being thirsty is not really much of an issue.

When you see yourself either in Bahrain or Saudi Arabia, don't forget to advise so that I can steer you clear away from the AlMuttahwah ;)

SLEX Runner
10-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Is the car from Japan? Their cars would be right hand drive but the photos you posted show a left hand drive car. In any case, it's a nice looking set of wheels.

Hi Curt!

Thank you for looking.

Yes, it is from Japan. Notice the plate number in Kanji.

Japan is a strange (but good country) as residents are entitled to own LHD cars which are a "status symbol" to them as you need to pay higher DMV fees to keep one on the road. Most of these LHD cars are either European or American. LHDs on the road is also an accomodation to the many US servicemen (and their families) currently living there.

LHDs are not as common compared to RHDs so particularly, this eurospec E34 unit is relatively "rare" for that market.

shogun
10-06-2005, 09:59 PM
I would not worry about the trans. The trans in question usually has the problem that the reverse gear will not work.
But as I said before, cars in Japan are maintained very well, BMW Japan even has internal technical info on "what will break in Japan only" and they have made remedies. Yes, there are problems on cars depending on the conditions of climate, traffic (high speed drive, traffic jam etc).
If you have such a problem, then look at my website under 'valve body rebuilt".
And still there is the question, if your car in Japan specification has a ZF gear at all.
Maybe it is from JATCO in Japan.
Do you have the complete chassis # already?
Then we could check which trans is mounted.

Edit: can someone enlarge the number/license plate so that I can check from which province/ region it comes? That would be a clue how the car was driven, country side or city traffic.
Anyway, we have a speed limit of max. 100 kmh on the Highway, so no car engine was subject to abuse driving it at max speed/RPM for a long time.

SLEX Runner
10-06-2005, 10:00 PM
grave77 (Barrie) and his brother MPower are in Dubai. You could have a regional meet when you get your car :)

Yes, I do look forward to that. I hope to meet them soon.

SLEX Runner
10-06-2005, 10:05 PM
And still there is the question, if your car in Japan specification has a ZF gear at all.
Maybe it is from JATCO in Japan.
Do you have the complete chassis # already?
Then we could check which trans is mounted.

Shogun,

I would appreciate all the informational help.

WBAHK41-020GK01115

Ken

SLEX Runner
10-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Just out of interest: how much did you pay for the car. Maybe I can check this evening if I can find a similar car here on the japanese auction house.
Yokohama is a major town for export auctions and Kobe port.

I got it for Y800,000 CIF Bahrain.
This is equivalent to about US$ 7400.00.

Shipping & Handling are included up to the Port of Manama.

Please tell me that this price is reasonable (provided that nothing is broken). Do you understand Japanese language? I have the auction report as well.

SLEX Runner
10-06-2005, 10:23 PM
Thank you for the link integrale! Very interesting! The additional knowledge (and the pedigree) of the E34 makes me feel more confident about my choice of commuter car.

My wife and I bought a Mercedes W203 as a first car when we moved to the Middle East from the Philippines but this was out of practicality (?) as she did not want us to see ourselves at the repairshop every weekend.

Here's my first E34...which got me to get the incoming E34.

It's a 1991 535i, now with 69Tkm. Purchased it also from Japan.

shogun
10-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Look into your PM-private message box on top. Just sent you my email address. Send me the report. I will check it.
My wife is japanese and I am member of the japanese E32 Club.
We have a BBQ meeting at my garden/scrapyard/repair place/heaven for 750 Highline :)
on Monday (public holiday in Japan) in front of this car
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/take/original/CIMG3464.jpg
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/take/original/CIMG3470.jpg

I will ask them for a comment. They know quite well about the prices.
I have bought this year with my japanese partner 4 E32 750iL, among them 2 Highline versions. All are at my "parking place" outside Tokyo now and my daily driver 750 is at my home.

shogun
10-06-2005, 11:34 PM
Daten für die Fahrgestell-Nr. 'GK01115'
Baureihe: E34
Fahrzeugtyp: 540i
Typschlüssel: HK41
Motor: M60
Karosserie: Touring
Katalogausführung: Europa
Lenkung: Links
Getriebe: Automatik
Produktion: 10/1994

Füllmengen
für die BJ von 01.09.1993 bis 31.07.1996
Motor M60 B40: 7.50 Liter Öl
Getriebe A5S 560Z (Automatik): 0.00 Liter Öl
Diff.: 1.90 Liter Öl
Bremsflüssigkeit: 1.00 Liter
Kühlwasser mit/ohne Klima: 12.50/12.50 Liter
Zusatz: Automatikgetriebe: Lebensdauerfüllung

Production date was October 1994
transmission type A5S 560Z
engine: m60B40
LH drive
Europe specifcation

Here you can get the data in English, but I cannot access it from my place now
http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

That means when it was built 1994/10, then it is a 1995 modell specification. Usually BMW changes the modell in September.

As for the trans, see on my website under European transmissions for details.

shogun
10-07-2005, 03:20 AM
presently on the japanese auction house. Of course it cannot be compared with your CIF price Bahrain, as the shipping will be probably quite an amount.
1992 525i Touring, 65k km, starting bid 150.000 Yen = approx. 1.500 US$ (100Yen = 1 USD as reference)
http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n23798075
1995 520i, 125 k km,
http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r19612524
1993 525i 98 k km ,
http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n25848328
1995 525i, 65k km
http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e47607094
1994 525i, 557 k km,
http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b58952713
more here
http://list1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/2084048173-category-leaf.html?apg=1&f=&o1=a&alocale=0jp&mode=2
http://list1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/2084048173-category-leaf.html?f=&alocale=0jp&mode=1

emw525E34
10-07-2005, 03:37 AM
emw525E34,

Thank you for your post. Any tell-tale signs that the tranny may be nearing the end of the life cycle?

Considering the long smooth roads in UAE, the tranny should not be worn if it had the necessary fluids and replacement of the usual "consumerables" bits. But then, its hard to tell as one can do about 3 "launch controls" and the tranny will just about have 500km of life in it. Internal synchro rings will wear and will need overhaul. Happened to me in my 4HP22. Yours is a 5 speed unit with electronic controls. Its change should be silky smooth. Tell-tale signs are , holding gear for too long (like in 2nd) and then shifting when it is really warmed up.
Pays to flush the tranny fluid and put in new ones. It hard to tell when these things go wrong as it depends on the level of "abuse" it has had. Fingers crossed, if it is well kept, nothing to worry about for the next 150K km for you.
I can bet when it fails, you are stuck. So make sure you have AA membership in case you need towing.
You never know with BMWs, even new ones suffer QC issues now and again.
Best of luck. Its a great car. E39 cannot match it in driving pleasure.

SLEX Runner
10-07-2005, 03:54 AM
Considering the long smooth roads in UAE, the tranny should not be worn if it had the necessary fluids and replacement of the usual "consumerables" bits. But then, its hard to tell as one can do about 3 "launch controls" and the tranny will just about have 500km of life in it. Internal synchro rings will wear and will need overhaul. Happened to me in my 4HP22. Yours is a 5 speed unit with electronic controls. Its change should be silky smooth. Tell-tale signs are , holding gear for too long (like in 2nd) and then shifting when it is really warmed up.
Pays to flush the tranny fluid and put in new ones. It hard to tell when these things go wrong as it depends on the level of "abuse" it has had. Fingers crossed, if it is well kept, nothing to worry about for the next 150K km for you.
I can bet when it fails, you are stuck. So make sure you have AA membership in case you need towing.
You never know with BMWs, even new ones suffer QC issues now and again.
Best of luck. Its a great car. E39 cannot match it in driving pleasure.

Thank you for your inputs! How about sharing a snapshot of your 525iT...the twin (in color) of the 540iT I recently purchased.

emw525E34
10-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Here is my CarDomain pics.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/824698/1

Very detailed interior pics of both my cars as well.

SLEX Runner
10-07-2005, 09:37 PM
presently on the japanese auction house. Of course it cannot be compared with your CIF price Bahrain, as the shipping will be probably quite an amount.

more here
http://list1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/2084048173-category-leaf.html?apg=1&f=&o1=a&alocale=0jp&mode=2
http://list1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/2084048173-category-leaf.html?f=&alocale=0jp&mode=1

Thanks Shogun!

I have actually been observing all these Japanese auction houses prior to finding myself an auction agent whom I felt at ease in sending my money out and selecting a car for me (with acceptable profit margins for him).

Buying the car from the auction house is just the first step of a continuous list of domestic expenses in Japan. After purchase, I computed an approximate of $1400USD on other charges: like auction participation fees, auction house commission, evaluation costs, registration cancellation, physical transfer-to the port, port charges & storage, insurance, etc etc etc.

Add to that, while the minimum price seems to be enticing to participate (so they can make money from your auction participation fees), the owners or agents of the car being sold is also part of the auction and he is ensuring that the car will go up to his minimum acceptable sale price.

Rather than go thru the anxieties of watching the auction commence (on the internet) and on wired TV, prior to an auction, I ask this agent friend of mine to provide me his best guestimate as to how much the car will be CIF. This means that all potential expenses are factored in up to shipping cost. He turns around in less than a day and advises me the CIF price and if agreeable, I just have to confirm my interest for the car. There were a couple of days that we lost...and I give it up to the fact that perhaps, the car wasnt meant for me. This 540iT was unexpected as the previous purchase (about a week before I got this unit) went as high as Y950,000. I am glad nobody was looking at the same car when this was put on the block last October 6th.

emw525E34
10-07-2005, 09:39 PM
BTW, how did you come up with "SLEX Runner" call sign ?.

In Manila, our South Expressway is called SLEX. And SLEX Runner would mean fun-run driver as every sunday morning, the car clubs do the South Bound FunRuns. Probably a coincidence.

Our BMWclub does this monthly.

SLEX Runner
10-07-2005, 10:47 PM
BTW, how did you come up with "SLEX Runner" call sign ?.

In Manila, our South Expressway is called SLEX. And SLEX Runner would mean fun-run driver as every sunday morning, the car clubs do the South Bound FunRuns. Probably a coincidence.

Our BMWclub does this monthly.

I was originally from ALABANG ;)
I did the Sunday morning runs as well, but usually with biker friends.

A couple friend of ours (whose daughters also went to WoodroseSchool) are BMW enthusiasts too. You may know them. They have an e46 330.

SLEX Runner
10-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Here is my CarDomain pics.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/824698/1

Very detailed interior pics of both my cars as well.

Nice set of pics reminds me of enthusiast activities back in Manila. You seem to be very active. I bet Breakfast at Antonio's and Josephines in Tagaytay has made a lot of money on you...lol
:D

shogun
10-08-2005, 03:27 AM
Ken

I am sitting just right now here together with some friends after repairing a Highline E32.
The cost of 1.400 $ is rather reasonable for japanese standard.
Have looked thru the inspection report with my friends, there is nothing special to report. Good condition, maintenance papers there, owners manual.
Car was registered in Yokohama. Black leather seats, black interor, sunroof, 18" aluminium wheels (non OEM), one might have a small scratch or something. There is a remark on the paper.

emw525E34
10-08-2005, 04:24 AM
That figures!. So it is not coincidence. I am not Pinoy but working here some years. So similar as you (expat in foreign country).

If you are concerned about the tranny, here is the tech link to study. Shogun can surely point out some of the complicated bits.
www.zf-group.com/pdf/5HP30.pdf

Have fun.

SLEX Runner
10-08-2005, 04:59 AM
Ken

I am sitting just right now here together with some friends after repairing a Highline E32.
The cost of 1.400 $ is rather reasonable for japanese standard.
Have looked thru the inspection report with my friends, there is nothing special to report. Good condition, maintenance papers there, owners manual.
Car was registered in Yokohama. Black leather seats, black interor, sunroof, 18" aluminium wheels (non OEM), one might have a small scratch or something. There is a remark on the paper.

Thanks for the heads up Elrich-san!

grave77
10-08-2005, 01:44 PM
no worries mate ... me too ... :) you can email me when ur leaving so I can provide u my mobile number to contact me :) I will be glad to meet you here.

thanks Gayle for introducing us :) hope you would come here too ...

grave77
10-08-2005, 01:44 PM
by the way .... how much have u got it for in US$ ??

SLEX Runner
10-08-2005, 10:13 PM
by the way .... how much have u got it for in US$ ??

USD$ 7340 CIF Bahrain.

As i understand it, freight cost alone is about USD$850.
Auction commission and other handling and storage charges will be about USD$ 1400.

I surmise the net value of the car purchased at the auction house is about USD$5000...with 18"rims :D

SLEX Runner
12-03-2005, 02:42 AM
"JAMEEL" was finally delivered and was released out of the Port of Manama just last November 29th.

Compared to the M30 (on my 535i), the M60 consumes less fuel most likely aided by the 5speed AT transmission.

Everything works in her, even the heated outside mirrors.

Reaching 220kph is much easier and only at 4200rpm!

I have just acquired for her a new set of SUMITOMO 245/40/18s and further lubricated with a fresh dose of 0w40 Mobil1s

Pictures to come soon, and after more love and affection.

For SHOGUN, pre-owned Japan originating bimmers are really a bang for the buck!

SLEX Runner
12-24-2005, 11:54 PM
"JAMEEL" was finally delivered and was released out of the Port of Manama just last November 29th.

Compared to the M30 (on my 535i), the M60 consumes less fuel most likely aided by the 5speed AT transmission.

Everything works in her, even the heated outside mirrors.

Reaching 220kph is much easier and only at 4200rpm!

I have just acquired for her a new set of SUMITOMO 245/40/18s and further lubricated with a fresh dose of 0w40 Mobil1s

Pictures to come soon, and after more love and affection.

For SHOGUN, pre-owned Japan originating bimmers are really a bang for the buck!

JAMEEL arrived from Japan with 18"BBS RC mags but I decided to take her off for the meantime.

Special thanks to Elrich for the encouragement!

emw525E34
12-25-2005, 02:21 AM
Nice double sun roof. No smileys ?. It this US specs ?.

SLEX Runner
12-25-2005, 02:55 AM
It's euro spec...if only v8's were encouraging in the Philippines, I would send this back without thinking twice.

grave77
12-25-2005, 08:21 AM
sunroof is awesome !! the car looks just grate mate !! gongradualtions ... and merry x-mas ... I think this is Santa's gift :P

Alexlind123
12-25-2005, 02:33 PM
The car looks awesome! I have never seen even a picture of a double sunroof before.

SharkmanBMW
12-25-2005, 03:33 PM
I love the colour, and of course, the WIDE grill!

Enjoy it.

My tranny issues started with slipping in reverse, that is the first clue.

SLEX Runner
12-26-2005, 12:56 AM
For Sharksman540i, Alexlind123, and grave77

Season's Greetings and thank you for the compliments!

Comparing features with the 91 535i, I have so far discovered the following added accessories/features of this 95 model:

- heated side view mirrors
- right side view mirror tilts downwards (to the ground) when gear is engaged in reverse
- rear view mirror anti-glare is liquid tint (I am sure there is a better description to this) and not a change of angle
- key less entry
- sunroof and windows close from the outside when the key cylinder is kept constant on the lock mode from the outside
- self-leveling rear suspension
- wood trim
- concealed storage on the lower left side of the dashboard
- dual airbag

It's a great car which arrived with a shimmy :(

Going thru the process of eliminating that now.

Elekta
12-26-2005, 05:35 AM
That's a damn fine car.

congratulations. If you change your mind on owning it....let me know. I have a friend in Tokyo I'd get to cut you a check most immediately.

Every 540iT I have seen was in the NL and was a total rust bucket.

What a snag.