PDA

View Full Version : Best Bang for the Money - Brake Pads

uscharalph
10-06-2005, 09:56 AM
What brake pads (Low Dust) are the best for the dollar?

SRR2
10-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Metal Masters. Here ya go....

Front: http://www.getcoolparts.com/item.wws?mfr=PBR&sku=BMW002461&price=40.49&orpartno=1104458&cookieID=1L10O82MH1MQ0TH5AU&drillid=9&image=http%3A%2F%2Fcatimages2%2Esophio%2Ecom%2Fweb app%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2Fimc%2Fimages%2Ffull %2FD1131RM%2Ejpg

Rear: http://www.getcoolparts.com/item.wws?mfr=PBR&sku=BMW002465&price=26.82&orpartno=1104468&cookieID=1L10O82MH1MQ0TH5AU&drillid=9&image=http%3A%2F%2Fcatimages2%2Esophio%2Ecom%2Fweb app%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2Fimc%2Fimages%2Ffull %2FD1132RM%2Ejpg

Jeff N.
10-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Nah. I'd say Rabestos QS ceramics. I have the PBR metalmasters and wouldn't exactly call them low dust. Maybe "lower dust".

MBXB
10-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Second the Raybestos QS Ceramics.

shragon
10-06-2005, 01:53 PM
regarding axxis/pbr metal masters, check out this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=711830&postcount=15

i'm going to try the axxis/pbr deluxe plus or raybestos qs' next.

Lennyz525i
10-06-2005, 02:15 PM
mintex

Cambridge
10-06-2005, 02:19 PM
I'm lovin the Raybestos. Had Pagid before.

tim s
10-06-2005, 02:58 PM
nothing to complain about yet & they where not to expensive.
not much of a difference in performance compared to metal masters.
tim s.

632 Regal
10-06-2005, 02:59 PM
i have the axxis deluxe plus, think ill try the raybestos next time, these are great when hot but in regular driving you have to press the peddle harder than the previous pads...I pitch these things and they still look brand new...lol I cant wait 50-70k to try new ones!

regarding axxis/pbr metal masters, check out this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=711830&postcount=15

i'm going to try the axxis/pbr deluxe plus or raybestos qs' next.

GS535i
10-06-2005, 04:34 PM
For street use, I've had great results with Mintex (red box) in a 928 S4 - so have a set ready for the 535i. A more progressive 'feel' than Textars/Jurids, and far less dust.

Jeff N.
10-06-2005, 04:55 PM
mintex

Bill R.
10-06-2005, 05:45 PM
centex, and the ones that i get by far the fewest complaints from customers , in fact no complaints at all from them is Raybestos QS ceramics and Akebono Ceramic Pro act.... the Akebono's might even be a little better but they are pricier than the QS.... And i've used virtually every pad out there with the exception of the ebc green stuff and red stuff. I haven't tried them yet but probably won't since the results for the everday customer are fine with the QS and the akebono ceramics.

What brake pads (Low Dust) are the best for the dollar?

Kalevera
10-06-2005, 06:21 PM
centex, and the ones that i get by far the fewest complaints from customers , in fact no complaints at all from them is Raybestos QS ceramics and Akebono Ceramic Pro act.... the Akebono's might even be a little better but they are pricier than the QS.... And i've used virtually every pad out there with the exception of the ebc green stuff and red stuff. I haven't tried them yet but probably won't since the results for the everday customer are fine with the QS and the akebono ceramics.
We've been using the akebonos at work for a few months now with good results. Have a set going on tomorrow. Great pad, great antisqueal protection in the box.

I personally use Raybestos on anything I have a say on.

best, whit

stx133
10-06-2005, 06:29 PM
dont we want 'no bang' while breaking. ha ha..

Gayle
10-06-2005, 06:37 PM
I really really appreciate this thread because I plan to change my brake pads (well have them changed) in the next few weeks. I have had the car about 3 months now and the brakes have never sounded right to me. When I scrubbed Charlie up for the virtual car show I thought "this is low dust???"

A few weeks ago the "automotive angel" spoke to me through the voice of Peter (PMLMotorsports) who sent me this email:

"Gayle I don't know you from a hole in the wall, but I strongly suggest you to get rid of the Metal Master pads.........THEY DESTROY ROTORS DUE TO THE HIGH METAL CONTENT IN THE PAD.........you can see evidence of this by the "ridges" on the rotor's surface........."

And Peter in response to my further questioning explained the the following to me:

"BRAKE PADS are a personal preference. Some ignore wear for ultimate grip, others deal with excessive dust in order to use very mild pads and save their rotors, and still their are others that demand stock ONLY......I myself prefer ceramic pads from Axis. They are not offensive to the rotor, have minimal dust, and stop on a dime, ok maybe a nickle but certainly better than stock. Considering you have drilled Zimmermans, I strongly suggest you lean towards a "less aggressive pad."

So far in this thread, I am getting that Raybestos and Axxis seem to get the most votes, plus Bill's commendation of Akebonno (I want those just because they sound like sushi). Assuming Peter is right, that it is personal preference, how should I decide?

The link within the link posted earlier in this thread has all these various factors:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/axxis_pads.htm#Compare

noise--important to me
dusting--not important
pad and rotor life--I would be satisfied with medium life so probably not important
a bunch of factors that seem to do with a consistent feel--don't know
a bunch of factors that have to do with whether it feels like it is ever going to stop--very important to me

I take it from Jeff's comment that the Axxis might not be so great in some conditions on the last 2 factors?

So what should I choose? Bill, when your customers complain about brake pads, what are their complaints focused on?

TIA

Jeff N.
10-06-2005, 07:11 PM
I've been using the PBR Metalmasters for the last several years and have no accelerated rotor wear.

I've gone thru Mintex Redbox, EBD Redstuff and stock Jurids.

The Jurids were ok, decent feel and bite, generally ok for street. Dusty.

The Mintex didn't impress me. Poor feel and fair bite. OK dust but not great.

EBD Redstuff I got for track use. Nice street bite, failed (crumbled) on the track due to heat mgmt issues. BigKriss had the same problem. Sucked.

PBR Metalmasters have fair street bite when cool, better after a hard stop. Take track heat well. OK dust. Can occasionally squeal a bit.

Gayle
10-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Mine don't squeal--they rumble. That is what makes me think something is not right.

Bill R.
10-06-2005, 09:37 PM
mentioned rarely but a few do mention this. Amongst bmw ,porsche and mercedes owners dusting is frequently a complaint. Rapid wear is almost never mentioned as a complaint. Most people just replace the pads when they wear out , they don't think that pads should last longer or shorter periods of time.... You mention in a higher up post about raybestor or akebonos... Keep in mind that its not just raybestos you have to get, its raybestos QS series ceramic pads... Raybestos makes a number of different brake pads each with its own characteristics.. The QS ceramic is the only one that i have no customer complaints at all about.
All the other raybestos pads i get the random noise complaint or dusting..
And as Jeff states i have to agree that the metalmasters don't wear your brake rotors any quicker than any other pad... Its the noise and the dusting of them that i don't like.. and I have them on my own car but they refuse to wear out since i'm not real hard on brakes and I 'm way too cheap to replace pads that are still good...:)

I really really appreciate this thread because I plan to change my brake pads (well have them changed) in the next few weeks. I have had the car about 3 months now and the brakes have never sounded right to me. When I scrubbed Charlie up for the virtual car show I thought "this is low dust???"

A few weeks ago the "automotive angel" spoke to me through the voice of Peter (PMLMotorsports) who sent me this email:

"Gayle I don't know you from a hole in the wall, but I strongly suggest you to get rid of the Metal Master pads.........THEY DESTROY ROTORS DUE TO THE HIGH METAL CONTENT IN THE PAD.........you can see evidence of this by the "ridges" on the rotor's surface........."

And Peter in response to my further questioning explained the the following to me:

"BRAKE PADS are a personal preference. Some ignore wear for ultimate grip, others deal with excessive dust in order to use very mild pads and save their rotors, and still their are others that demand stock ONLY......I myself prefer ceramic pads from Axis. They are not offensive to the rotor, have minimal dust, and stop on a dime, ok maybe a nickle but certainly better than stock. Considering you have drilled Zimmermans, I strongly suggest you lean towards a "less aggressive pad."

So far in this thread, I am getting that Raybestos and Axxis seem to get the most votes, plus Bill's commendation of Akebonno (I want those just because they sound like sushi). Assuming Peter is right, that it is personal preference, how should I decide?

The link within the link posted earlier in this thread has all these various factors:

noise--important to me
dusting--not important
pad and rotor life--I would be satisfied with medium life so probably not important
a bunch of factors that have to do with whether it feels like it is ever going to stop--very important to me

I take it from Jeff's comment that the Axxis might not be so great in some conditions on the last 2 factors?

So what should I choose? Bill, when your customers complain about brake pads, what are their complaints focused on?

TIA

shragon
10-07-2005, 12:11 AM
centex, and the ones that i get by far the fewest complaints from customers , in fact no complaints at all from them is Raybestos QS ceramics and Akebono Ceramic Pro act.... the Akebono's might even be a little better but they are pricier than the QS.... And i've used virtually every pad out there with the exception of the ebc green stuff and red stuff. I haven't tried them yet but probably won't since the results for the everday customer are fine with the QS and the akebono ceramics. stay away from ebc... run away!!

noise--important to me
dusting--not important

TIA i currently run axxis/pbr ultimates (ceramic). these are a good pad, but to people who say these dust a lot less than stock, i don't know what they're not seeing. in my experiece, axxis ultimates dust maybe 10-15% less than stock. these are still a dusty pad.

DanDombrowski
10-07-2005, 05:59 AM
I used EBC Greens on my dads eclipse convertible (heavy) with no complaints. Then again, the car couldd take a mile longer to stop and he wouldn't know the difference.