PDA

View Full Version : Brake upgrades for a E34.

dbals
10-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Ok, so Ive read everything on bmwe34.net and i have also gone over kindels web site on brake upgrades for the e34. I have a 95 540i and would like to do something just not sure what. It sounds like the hot setup would be to find calipers off a 95 euro spec M5. How possible would that be? I would amagine these are extremely hard to find used. I am sure someone has contemplated this same issue. I just love brakes and love the caliper on the M5...it looks awesome. Are these available used? Anyone have any idea where to look. What about ordering them from BWM? I am pretty much a newbie so someone please point me in the right direction.
Drew

Jon K
10-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Ok, so Ive read everything on bmwe34.net and i have also gone over kindels web site on brake upgrades for the e34. I have a 95 540i and would like to do something just not sure what. It sounds like the hot setup would be to find calipers off a 95 euro spec M5. How possible would that be? I would amagine these are extremely hard to find used. I am sure someone has contemplated this same issue. I just love brakes and love the caliper on the M5...it looks awesome. Are these available used? Anyone have any idea where to look. What about ordering them from BWM? I am pretty much a newbie so someone please point me in the right direction.
Drew

Check on Ebay.de They seem to go up on there fairly often. It depends on what you intend your car for. If you like OE stuff and having BMW parts, 850 brakes and Euro M5 brakes are a nice upgrade. I think eventually I will be doing a StopTech or Brembo big brake upgrade... eventually.

Shaun
10-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Drew

The only problem with the M5 Euro upgrades, aside from used availability, are the rotor costs if you like to stick with OEM rotors. They're about $250 each for the front, and $175 or so each for the rear.

philbyil
10-06-2005, 10:21 AM
One easy upgrade is a set of ATE powerdiscs and EBC Redstuff brake pads all around.

SRR2
10-06-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm just curious -- what about the stock brakes do you find unsatisfactory?

dbals
10-06-2005, 10:44 AM
Yikes! 250 a rotor. Does anyone know of an aftermarket rotor that the euro spec M5 calipers will fit on?

dbals
10-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Can you order the calipers from a dealer here in the usa????

Jeff N.
10-06-2005, 11:11 AM
If you want brake eye candy, then i suggest the 840 or 840 4 pot calipers.

If you want a braking upgrade but want to maintain budget, then I suggest the non-nurburgring M5 brakes. You can get a front set on the car for say $400 or so. Rotors are $60 or so, pads from the E36 work so you have lots of options.

Shaun
10-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Can you order the calipers from a dealer here in the usa????

The euro M5/M5T/850CSi front calipers are over $600 each from a dealer. Probably closer to 700 or 750. No pads included.

JulesE34
10-06-2005, 11:33 AM
If you are after Euro Calipers from an M5, then this Breakers yard in the UK FAB (www.fabdirect.com)
has 2 E34 M5's at the moment, one is Blue and pretty well picked over, but I think the wheels were untouched when I was there a month ago, and a red one that was brand new into the yard and hadn't been touched yet.

Another UK Breaker of repute is Quarry Motors (http://www.quarrymotors.co.uk/)

dbals
10-06-2005, 01:26 PM
If you are after Euro Calipers from an M5, then this Breakers yard in the UK FAB (www.fabdirect.com)
has 2 E34 M5's at the moment, one is Blue and pretty well picked over, but I think the wheels were untouched when I was there a month ago, and a red one that was brand new into the yard and hadn't been touched yet.

Another UK Breaker of repute is Quarry Motors (http://www.quarrymotors.co.uk/)
Thanks I will give them a try.

dbals
10-06-2005, 01:27 PM
If you want brake eye candy, then i suggest the 840 or 840 4 pot calipers.

If you want a braking upgrade but want to maintain budget, then I suggest the non-nurburgring M5 brakes. You can get a front set on the car for say $400 or so. Rotors are $60 or so, pads from the E36 work so you have lots of options.
Jeff,
What do these calipers look like? Iam after both looks and performance. I just really like the way the 95 M5 caliper looks but Ive never seen a 840 or 850.

dbals
10-06-2005, 01:59 PM
I have actually found quit a few places in the uk that have the M5 calipers......I am waiting on prices.

emw525E34
10-07-2005, 04:56 AM
Expect to pay more than a few quid for those!. Stoptech looks hot and I expect performed similar to Brembos at almost twice the price. Get high quality pads and you will stop just as good.

BigKriss
10-07-2005, 05:10 AM
One easy upgrade is a set of ATE powerdiscs and EBC Redstuff brake pads all around.

EBC Redstuff, do you actually use these pads?. You know they are track pads right? They are very poor street pads and pricey.

Jeff N.
10-07-2005, 07:36 AM
No noticable difference in appearence. The 4 piston setup from the 850 and 840 look cool. Note that not all 840 and 850 brakes are 4 pots. They also had some single piston setups.

I have actually found quit a few places in the uk that have the M5 calipers......I am waiting on prices.

bahnstormer
10-07-2005, 10:19 AM
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/UBBK/brake_info/description.htm

caliper with 355mm rotor
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/UBBK/pics_brake/red_full_rotor1.jpg

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/UBBK/brakepix/rotor__thickness_comparo.jpg