PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat, what do u think?

rockyfeller
10-06-2005, 08:20 AM
My car was losing coolant from a small slow leak. Indy says it's a bad hose. OK so he also suggests changing a shroud and thermostat....They're not bad yet, he just recommends it. Is it worth $400 of prevention? I know how these guys usually don't like to let me go until I fork over $1000 every time.

I had the car for the last 3 yrs and the car has 123K on it. (60K on my Alusil actually) The previous owner noted some extensive service before I bought the car but I don't know if he had changed the thermostat/water pump. The radiator was replaced last year from an accident too.

liquidtiger720
10-06-2005, 08:23 AM
Consider DIY?
Hose- $50?
T-stat~ 30$?
Coolant ~30?
DIY~ Free.
Coolant hoses, thermostat, and water pump arnt too hard to change at all...especially if your water pump dosnt need replacing.

azale
10-06-2005, 08:50 AM
Do it yourself rockyfellar. It shouldn't be that hard at all, and not only will you have extra cash, but you'll be able to tell your friends, and one day you'll be able to help someone else.

do it
do it
DO IT
DO IT

Jon K
10-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Consider DIY?
Hose- $50?
T-stat~ 30$?
Coolant ~30?
DIY~ Free.
Coolant hoses, thermostat, and water pump arnt too hard to change at all...especially if your water pump dosnt need replacing.

but even if you do need a new water pump, its still cheap and easy (i mean you'll have to buy the pump, $80?)... but its still easy.

uscharalph
10-06-2005, 09:53 AM
My car was losing coolant from a small slow leak. Indy says it's a bad hose. OK so he also suggests changing a shroud and thermostat....They're not bad yet, he just recommends it. Is it worth $400 of prevention? I know how these guys usually don't like to let me go until I fork over $1000 every time.

I had the car for the last 3 yrs and the car has 123K on it. (60K on my Alusil actually) The previous owner noted some extensive service before I bought the car but I don't know if he had changed the thermostat/water pump. The radiator was replaced last year from an accident too.
Parts a complete cooling system rebuild (Radiator, hoses, water pump, thermostat and radiator cap) cost me a little over $400.00. My brother and I (Mainly my brother) were able to do the work ourselves.

rockyfeller
10-06-2005, 03:44 PM
I couldn't see where the leak was coming from initially and I don't have a lift/jack stands. So the car is at a shop and he'll charge me labor anyways....I realize this may be a DIY type of job but I was not sure about the waterpump. I was just busy lately and didn't have much time to work on the car. Wait a min. Now I feel like taking the car back and doing it myself somehow. But I gave him the go-ahead with the hose and shroud already! And I know if I quit now he'll try to charge 2hrs of labor or something. Do you guys think the thermostat replacement is needed though?

GS535i
10-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Rent, borrow, or buy a coolant system pressure tester .... and find where it is leaking. while a hose is the preferred leaker, head gaskets are the worst. Mine was leaking from a seam in the plastic expansion tank.
These testers use a small hand pump to place ~15psi on the system. Pressure should hold for a couple of hours, and if not, most leaks become evident.

shogun
10-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Adjustable Telescoping Mirror
Enables you to see around corners. 2-1/4 inch diameter mirror swivels to any position. Length extends from 10 to 14 inches. Has an insulated vinyl grip.
Wonderful tool, you can look under the hoses and the water pump etc.
http://www.autohausaz.com/secure/PartImages/32050LISLE.jpg
less than 10 $
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/productx.aspx?sid=sizv2n552tjwk555uyyozy55&makeid=800003@BMW&modelid=1012037@525I&year=1990&cid=99@Tools%20%26%20Shop%20Supplies&gid=6666@Diagnostic%20Tools

I have a bit advanced unit. There are similar things with flexible LED lights, and on this I screwed on a mirror. Just cost me abt. 4 $ in a tool shhop. With light is best.

rockyfeller
10-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Aaah! I need that dentist's mirror! Good find.

uscharalph
10-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Adjustable Telescoping Mirror
Enables you to see around corners. 2-1/4 inch diameter mirror swivels to any position. Length extends from 10 to 14 inches. Has an insulated vinyl grip.
Wonderful tool, you can look under the hoses and the water pump etc.
http://www.autohausaz.com/secure/PartImages/32050LISLE.jpg
less than 10 $
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/productx.aspx?sid=sizv2n552tjwk555uyyozy55&makeid=800003@BMW&modelid=1012037@525I&year=1990&cid=99@Tools%20%26%20Shop%20Supplies&gid=6666@Diagnostic%20Tools

I have a bit advanced unit. There are similar things with flexible LED lights, and on this I screwed on a mirror. Just cost me abt. 4 $ in a tool shhop. With light is best.
I've got a simple one, one with a light is what I need.

632 Regal
10-06-2005, 07:02 PM
anybody with too much money, more than time can afford to have it all replaced for them.

nychappygolucky
11-08-2005, 05:16 PM
I've been experiencing the same coolant leak problem and suggested to check the thermostats. I looked under the hood but did not have a luck finding one. I know what it looks like since I have a diagram of it, thus any help in describing exactly where it is would be appreciated!

Does anyone have good recommendations for repair shops in the New York city area?

Thanks in advance!!!

Bmbuddy
11-23-2005, 12:47 AM

just look for a reliable dealer where to purchase these thermostat (http://www.innerauto.com/Automotive_Definitions/The_Thermostat/), to avoid spending much.

uscharalph
11-23-2005, 12:50 AM
just look for a reliable dealer where to purchase these thermostat (http://www.innerauto.com/Automotive_Definitions/The_Thermostat/), to avoid spending much.
Call BMA!

632 Regal
11-23-2005, 01:19 AM
the thermostat is behind where the top hose goes to the waterpump. you will have to take the engine cover off to see right where that is.
I've been experiencing the same coolant leak problem and suggested to check the thermostats. I looked under the hood but did not have a luck finding one. I know what it looks like since I have a diagram of it, thus any help in describing exactly where it is would be appreciated!

Does anyone have good recommendations for repair shops in the New York city area?

Thanks in advance!!!